Interesting Story

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Interesting Story

Postby Craig on September 3rd, 2002, 9:49 am

I have an interesting story that I thought I would share. I am 22 years old and have been having BFS symptoms for around 4 months now (end of May). I had an awful bout of the flu around the first of March; however, I'm not sure that that is how this all began. Up until the end of June I was only getting around 4 1/2 hours of sleep a night and was fairly stressed out with work, school, etc... I went through the whole ALS scare and saw my symptoms skyrocket, but they seem to be getting better as of late with the addition of vitamins & minerals.

This being said, I thought I would share this with you. My fiancée, who also got the flu around the same time I did, has been twitching for the past month or so. She told me a couple of times this past week and I didn't really think much of it until last night when she explained the vibrating sensations and twitching that she was having and showed me her thumb actually twitching. She said that it has been annoying at times but that she doesn't let it bother her.

What I am curious about is whether or not this could have been a viral thing (from the flu?) or if it might be a "mental" thing that she somehow got from hearing me talk about my symptoms (people who start twitching after hearing about ALS...).

I thought that this was fairly interesting and wanted to share it with everyone. I would be interested in hearing if this has happened to anyone else or if anyone has any thoughts on this.
Craig
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jake_the_twitch on September 3rd, 2002, 12:20 pm

I have been twtiching for over a year now. My twitching started after a long stomach problem & STRESS finally cleared up. (not a flu but what was eventually diagnosed as erosive gastritis).

My wife in the last couple of months has noticed that she is experiencing more twitching although it is not even clolse to the 24/7 extent I have. I am pretty sure that it is her awareness level through my complaining that is causing her to remember her twitching where in the past she would simply have ignored it.
Jake_the_twitch

Postby Arron on September 3rd, 2002, 11:27 pm

Most people with BFS report that their twitches started shortly after a bout with a virus. Some report stomach problems, some sinus infections, some basic flu like symptoms and other's don't remember having any viral symptoms at all. It's because of the inconsistencies of all of the combined symptoms that have made BFS so difficult to diagnose the underlying root of what is actually happening. Some doctors are now leaning towards some sort of auto immune syndrome happening after some kind of infection in the body and other neuro's are leaning towards calling it a syndrome of irritated muscle linings or a hyperactive nervous system. So far, everyone has just speculated and no hard evidence either way has been brought forward. I myself had a horrible sinus infection before all of my symptoms started, but that was like 2 or 3 months prior to everything, so I can't really say that my infection was the root or not...
Arron

BFS AND TREMORS

Postby g007one on November 11th, 2002, 11:09 pm

I MYSELF HAVE HAD BFS ALMOST 2 YRS.....I AM 36 MALE AND VERY ACTIVE PHYSICALLY..I WORK OUT5 TIMES A WEEK WITH WEIGHTS AND NEVER LETHISSYNDROME STOP ME FROM ENJOYING WHATI LIKE DOING...I HAVE NOTICED ON AND OFF TREMORS WHICH SEEM TO SHAKE MY HEAD AND NECK, BUT NOTHING IS MOVING VISIBLY...THIS IS THE WEIRDEST THING THAT I HAVE DEALT WITH.ESPECIALLY WHEN I WAKE UP FROM A SLEEP AND USE THE BATHROOM DO I NOTICE IT WHEN I LAY BACKDOWN. I ALSO NOTICE THESE TWITCHES MORE WHEN MY BODY FIRST WAKES UP AND I MOVE AROUND.ANYWAYS, I WAS WONDERING IF ANY ONE CAN RELATE TO THIS, BECAUSE THE DOC I SEE THINKS I AM NUTS....
g007one

Stress

Postby Souris on November 13th, 2002, 2:55 pm

For me, twitching began after a very stressful period: job change, moving and, surprise, an episode of worrying about a potential brain tumor because of severe headaches (which stopped after a clean MRI...). Thought I was finished with hypochondria, but then looked up twitching on the Web, and you know the story.
This is certainly my worst hypochondriac episode to date. I'm asking myself how I could ever worry about cancer, now that I know about ALS...

Thanks to all for sharing fears on this forum.

Souris
Souris

Postby Asterix on November 15th, 2002, 11:09 am

Souris, I could not relate more to this.

I was suffering from health anxiety / hypochondria episodes through
childhood and early twenties. Then, finally, after a particularly bad
fear of cancer (of course I thought I had pancreatic cancer, the worst cancer of all) I finally got a grip on it and defeated the health anxiety for many years. For a while, I dealt with health issues very well, banning
health-worries almost completely from my life.
I had learned to deal with health issues the way most "normal" people do: Not to dwell on every minor symptom and just ignore them unless
it is something really serious.

That's why I was not concerned at all when my left tigh muscle began to twitch 7 months ago...
But then came that memorable evening when, just out of curiosity, I typed the words "muscle twitching" in the search engine. The rest is history :(

What I read about ALS was just way too much. I mean, even in my
most extrem fantasy I could not have imagined such a horrible, cruel and insidious disease.
Sure I had heared of those horrible neuro diseases (like CJK,BSE)
before but those seemed to be very very rare and far away, like
one in a million incidence.
(I never really feared the very rare diseases, it was always about
the more common killers like cancer or heart stuff)
But there I was: twitching and reading the words on the monitor "widespread fasciculations are the hallmark of ALS"
Now it was no longer one in a million. Now that I had one of the main symptoms of this disease, I stood much closer to the abyss.

Then I have found this forum and I'm now more confident and reassure myslef that what I have is only BFS.
But it's still getting scary from time to time if a new sx pops up.

Thanks for listening,
Asterix
Asterix

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics