Can Celiac cause BFS

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Can Celiac cause BFS

Postby Glenn on December 23rd, 2002, 2:39 am

A recent ANA bulletin indicated that 20% or more of patients reporting a neuropathy with no EMG deficit were found to test positive for Celiac. Celiac desease is a genetic variation that causes your immune system to react to a peptide in the breakdown of wheat gluten.

Other common symptoms of Celiac (in addition to neuropathy) are Anemia, thyroid problems, stomach problems, etc... Celiac is most commonly seen in the 5th decade - although is historical well know for failure to thrive in infants. It occurs in 1/250 in the genral population - but at probably a higher rate among northern europeans.

I have had BFS like symptoms, with parathesias, cramping, exercise intolerance, burning leg muscles, tingling and twitching feat and a variety of other issues which began after a Flu shot and a rapid onset of flulike symptoms.

Interesting I was also found to have an out-of-pattern male osteoperosis, mild iron deficient anemia, and elevated monocytes. I have been getting tested by a variety of doctors for several years - especial to find the cause of the anemia. A recent Doctor at UCI suggested testing for Celiac as it can present these symptoms. As celiac interferes with the absorption of various important minerals, it can cause problems with Calcium, Iron and others.

I am still waiting for the test results - but I am wondering if any of you have been suggested for this testing - you probably have a 1 in 5 chance of it with neuropathy and negative EMG.

There is a very good website - http://www.celciac.com
Glenn

Web site misspelling

Postby Glenn on December 23rd, 2002, 2:56 am

The web site is http://www.celiac.com - sorry for the misspelling

by the way ANA is the American Neurological Association - and many Celiacs present no stomach symptoms - contrary to public opinion.
Glenn

can celiac cause bfs

Postby kim on January 7th, 2003, 9:15 pm

Glen,

Interestingly enough, all my health issues began soon after I had a flu shot too! However, there was a lot of other "crap" going on in my life that coinsided with my problems. Mom and mother in law got cancer, 9/11, anthrax scare, personal cancer scare (lump on thyroid), job change, etc. so stress levels were on high! I had so much stuff going on, I couldn't pinpoint where or when my health problems began or ended.

I don't think I have celiac, just anxiety associated with bfs or visa versa!

Kim
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

test results

Postby Davidd on January 7th, 2003, 10:49 pm

Glenn--

Did you get your test results back?

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Test Results

Postby Glenn on January 8th, 2003, 12:29 pm

I haven't gotten the test results back yet - apparently this is a very complex test to do. My doctor at UCI keeps in touch with me once or twice a week to let me know if there has been any progress. I probably have a 20% chance of being wheat intolerant - but there have been a variety of symptoms that I have that could be explained by this.

Anyone with northern european background and unexplained neuropathies, unexplained iron deficiency or symptoms like ataxia should get tested - there is no other way to tell. There is a strong crossover from lactose intolerance, which often diappears when the wheat issue is handled.
Glenn

Nope! I am Negative

Postby Glenn on January 11th, 2003, 12:15 am

Got the three lab tests back - turns out I am negative for Celiac. Too bad - I had hoped that it was as easy as not eating wheat.

Still its a good idea for others to talk to their doctors about it.
Glenn

Postby Craig on January 13th, 2003, 11:41 am

I thought this post was interesting because I just had two repeat positive tests for the Gliadin Antibody, which I believe is related to Celiac. The doctor said there can be false-positives and negatives, so she had a biopsy done of my small intestine to be sure one way or another. I get the results back on Wednesday, so I'll be sure to let everyone know.
Craig
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby javens on January 13th, 2003, 12:26 pm

wow, craig
I was just wondering about you. I saw your post on medhelp.
I'm so glad that you got an official bfs diagnoses. you and I have very similar sx. And we're both young (i'm 22). I'm going to have my DR. check for celiac. I went to a gastro entorologist back in august for some chronic diahrrea that I had :oops: . He mentioned celiac as a possibility.
Well, take care bud
-javens
javens

There are tests for Celiac

Postby Glenn on January 13th, 2003, 1:31 pm

Although the gold standard on Celiac has traditionally been the biopsy of the small intestine, it is also true that Celiac may not always manifest itself in the same places in the intestine - which could make me consider more testing if the biopsy was negative. When I was suspect, recently the UCI tested the following tests instead of the biopsy.

anti-endomyselial antibody,
IgG anti-gliadin antibody,
IgA anti-gliadin antibody
and the anti-tissue transglutaminase.

These tests were done elsewhere and too more than three weeks to get the answers.

A capsule endoscopy could alo be revealing.

Also, if you are being tested, you don't want to be on a wheat free diet, otherwise you may theorectically show up with a false negative.
Glenn

Postby Craig on January 13th, 2003, 2:07 pm

Thanks for the info, Glenn. I tested positive (strong) for both the IgG and IgA. I am awaiting results for the other two you mentioned as well at the biopsy I had done on the small intestine. I am a little skeptical I have Celiac, as I don't think I have any of the symptoms. Who knows, right?

Just curious, what did they end up finding in your case?

Thanks,
Craig
Craig
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

You do have symptoms

Postby Glenn on January 13th, 2003, 3:33 pm

There are neurologists who have suggested to me that BFS is really a result of irritation from a very mild form of peripheral neuropathy. According to the profesor at UCI, many Celiac people he discovers do not manifest stomach or intestinal problems but do exhibit various forms of anemia or peripheral neuropathy. This is why he tested me.

Have you checked http://www.celiac.com thoroughly.
Glenn

Postby Craig on January 15th, 2003, 6:38 pm

Count me out for Celiac. I tested positive for all of the antibody's, but my biopsy came back negative. Interesting idea, though...
Craig
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Biopsy issues

Postby Glenn on January 15th, 2003, 8:03 pm

From my readings on Celiac it would seem that it can express itself in different parts of the intestine. I wonder if this would mean that the usual biopsy may or may not catch it - making the lab work generally more reliable.

I will pose this interesting question to the Professor Albers at UCI.
Glenn

Postby Craig on January 16th, 2003, 10:10 am

Thanks, Glenn. I'd be interested to hear what he has to say.

Take care,

Craig
Craig
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Debbs on January 20th, 2003, 11:57 pm

Glenn please keep us posted it is very interesting..
Debbs

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to General Topics