comforting thoughts?

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

comforting thoughts?

Postby Rar on November 25th, 2002, 11:39 pm

Sorry, I know this is the wrong forum, but I don't want to become a member and this forum allows me to post regardless. Could the moderator please make all the forums open to non-members, please?

I found these figures strangely comforting, they put the chances of getting als in perspective. For example, it is about twice as likely that you will be struck and killed by lightning than that you will ever get als.

taken from http://www.nsc.org

The statistics listed below are the chances that your life will end from a particular cause.

Car occupant, chances are 1 out of 244
Pedestrian, chances are 1 out of 588
Bitten or crushed by other reptiles, chances are 1 out of 79,044
Drowning and submersion while in or falling into a bath tub, chances are 1 out of 11,116
Lightning, chances are 1 out of 55,578
Legal execution, chances are 1 out of 40,420

Chances of getting als: about 1 in 100,000. (not from same website)

According to the article in aboutbfs.com 70% of everybody reports having fasciculations from time to time. From my informal survey of friends I have found that about 10% have had noticable twitching that caused them some concern, but they eventually forgot about it, ingored it or the twitching went away. A couple of my friends have regular random twitches that have never caused them any concern. My doctor claims that above average twitching is just a genetic variation. Some people twitch a lot more than others.
Rar

comforting thoughts?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics