What are the odds?

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

What are the odds?

Postby misterjuanperalta on February 28th, 2015, 3:21 pm

Hi,

Something to think about:

Odds of being struck by lightning in a given year (estimated total deaths + injuries): 1/960,000
Odds of being diagnosed with ALS in a given year: 2-4/100,000

Have you been struck? Should make one feel better.

Regards
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Re: What are the odds?

Postby SecretAgentMan on February 28th, 2015, 4:23 pm

Fear is a funny thing. It isn't logical or rational. Your odds could be one in a trillion but the mind will convince you that you could be that one person. Early on in my first days of twitching, you know when you first log on to WebMD, unlike most people here I had Mad Cow Disease as my fear. Not A**. Anyway, do you know how many diagnosed cases of Mad Cow Disease there have been in the United States? Just one. I had myself convinced I was case number two...

I have done a lot of research into how the mind works and even became certified to be a hypnotist. In all of my experiences and learning, I believe that fear cannot be rationalized away. It is part of our emotional side and our emotional side does not care what is logical or what makes sense. It only cares about how we feel and that is it, logic be darned.

I know some people think it helps them to look at the statistical odds and maybe it does for some. If you are one of those people who isn't helped by this however, do not feel bad. Do not wonder why and think there is something wrong with you. If you find yourself still coming back to the same fears it is a sign that you need to take a different approach to resolve your fears and come to terms with them.

Anyway, it wasn't my intent to come in and sabotage this post. I wanted to add to it and offer in that additional perspective. Hypnosis and meditation are great tools for resolving the emotional side of the mind. Analytic people can get frustrated with making little or no progress in overcoming their fears with logic and rationalization. I wanted to offer some light to shed on why that is. Knowledge is power. If you're stuck in the same old fears, try a new tool. Old ways don't open new doors. :)
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Re: What are the odds?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics