Positive Babinski, Myelopathy

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Positive Babinski, Myelopathy

Postby misterjuanperalta on January 28th, 2015, 2:33 pm

Hi,

The link below suggests that a positive "Babinski reflex may be present in myelopathy; these findings are consistent with spinal cord compression".

Source: http://www.mdguidelines.com/thoracic-di ... myelopathy

Further, my understanding is that, in regard with reflexes, asymmetry is often more concerning in a neurological exam. Symmetry is often associated with spinal cord compression.

Other:

Myelopathy refers to compression on the spinal cord from either a disc herniation or spinal stenosis. It's a disease of the spinal cord. Symptoms may include radiculopathy, stiffness and twitching of the arms and legs due to pressure on the spinal cord at the cervical or thoracic area. May be due to disc prolapses, canal stenoses or tumour compression. Progressive symptoms of numbness and paraesthesia (pins and needles) in the hands and feet, and clumsiness (dropping things) in the hands are a key feature.
Last edited by misterjuanperalta on April 28th, 2015, 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
misterjuanperalta
Saint
Saint

Re: Positive Babinski, Myelopathy

Postby elliottok on January 30th, 2015, 4:34 am

Please stop with the unhelpful spam.
elliottok

Postby Little Lost on January 30th, 2015, 8:06 am

Thanks for the article, it is really helpful as the diagrams are good for a back novice like myself. There seems to have been a flurry of people on here with MRIs showing spinal cord compression. I know it is a very common condition, I don't have it but this helps me to understand what a lot if members are talking about.
Thanks
Hx
Little Lost
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics