Is BFS or BFCS hereditary?

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Is BFS or BFCS hereditary?

Postby leaflea on August 20th, 2014, 8:23 pm

Earlier today Twitchydoc wrote this:

"I find it quite interesting that according to Eisen, BFS may be reccessively inherited - which is confirmed by Matt and probably me, as my grandfather has had fasciculations for at least 12 month (I noticed last summer)."
I thought it would be interesting to get a small sample to see what people's general experience is (I did use the search function and didn't find a thread devoted to this topic).

My mother and grandmother cramped. Hard, long lasting cramps everywhere. My 19 year old son and 15 year old son have complained of twitching at different times.

A couple weeks ago I visited a third generation neuro with my 74 year old mother because of her severe cramping. Who has 7 clinics around the Twin Cities (MN) and he got almost excited/giddy to hear that I cramp also. He said "you see, there seems to be something hereditary about all this!" He didn't have any answers, but seemed to be sort of collecting his own anecdotal evidence for something he has observed before (he had to be at leat 70). He did say both cramps and fasics are "very common."
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Re: Is BFS or BFCS hereditary?

Postby TwitchyDoc on August 21st, 2014, 12:19 am

Remember, what I wrote was a quote from a book authored by prof. A. Eisen. I have sent him a message, asking what is this claim based on. But if I remember correctly, cramps can be inherited normally.
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby Meled on August 21st, 2014, 1:18 am

My mother and my brother twitch a lot too !!
Meled

Postby Yuliasir on August 21st, 2014, 9:30 am

my mom is cramping, but there are no twitchers in the family, except me.

but as far as I can see, cramps (at least common leg cramps) might be of circulatory origin.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Arkansan on August 25th, 2014, 1:45 pm

My mother has some symptomatic similarities to me. My mother, brother, myself, and one of my cousins at least, all have a slight tremor to our hands. Seems to come on fairly young and just sort of hang around forever. I seem to recall seeing a speculated link between familial tremoring and BFS.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics