My Neuro examination...

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

My Neuro examination...

Postby DKM on June 23rd, 2014, 8:51 pm

Well after 4 months of twitching all over (calves, thighs, back, arms, face, eyelids), bouts of stammering my speech, globus sensations in throat, burning sensation on skin, wrinkled fingertips as if I had dipped them in cold water for 10 minutes, cramps, tiredness, fatigue, anxiety etc etc I attended my appointment with a Neuro.
The Neuro carried out a clinical examination, testing my reflexes, examining my gait, testing my strength and movement, coordination, had a look at my tongue and it's movement and had a good 30 minutes of asking me questions about my symptoms.
She asked me if I had typed my symptoms into Google and of course I did admit to consulting Dr Google to which her reply was.. "I will tell you now, you DON'T have MND. I see MND on a regular basis and I know that you don't have it".
I asked if I should perhaps do an EMG test to make sure to which she replied.. "You do not need an EMG but if you want to waste your money then I will refer you for one just to ease your anxiety". I previously had an MRI and CT scan which was clear so she ruled out MS off the back of my clear MRI and examination.
I attended my EMG at a clinic the next morning and it was carried out on my calves as that is the area where I have had the most twitching. gainThe Dr who carried out the test says he would process my results and send them back through to my Neuro and if there was any reason for concern that my Neuro would contact me. I haven't heard anything from my Neuro in the last 5 days so I assume that the EMG was indeed clean.
My Neuro also sent me for bloods as wants to check that my thyroid is functioning properly as my symptoms could be linked to my thyroid.
I have my follow up appointment with the Neuro 3 weeks from now so will hopefully get a bit more clarity as to what could me causing my symptoms. I'll post again after my appointment.
I am putting faith in what the professionals are telling me and trying not to let anxiety get the better of me and since my appointment my anxiety has eased off and I feel better physically and mentally.
DKM

Re: My Neuro examination...

Postby johnnythejet on June 23rd, 2014, 9:04 pm

DKM wrote:I have my follow up appointment with the Neuro 3 weeks from now so will hopefully get a bit more clarity as to what could me causing my symptoms. I'll post again after my appointment.
I am putting faith in what the professionals are telling me and trying not to let anxiety get the better of me and since my appointment my anxiety has eased off and I feel better physically and mentally.

Don't expect any clarity as to what could be causing your symptoms. Even if the neuro gives you a few potential reasons, don't put to much faith or hope in associated solutions. Other than that, you're very wise to put your faith in what the neuro has told you so far. History has proven that your case (as with the rest of us) is of a benign nature, and you should have no doubts. You're neuro is correct in his diagnosis, and there is no amount of money I wouldn't bet on it.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Red Raider on June 23rd, 2014, 11:14 pm

Hey brother let me know about your thyroid test. The reason why I had mine taken out about 4 weeks ago. I have had issues with mine for awhile but this is the kicker ask your doctor about this. I know everybody is different but when they tested mine my thyroid levels and anti bodies were always good. So they sent me in for a ultra sound on my neck every 6 months sure enough my thyroid kept getting larger and larger that I started feeling a lump while I was swallowing. So I went in to the surgeons office and she said yup lets take it out so she removed my whole thyroid and sent it off to pathology to be tested for cancer and anything else. Well it came back neg for cancer thank the good Lord but I had full blown hosimotos disease and never knew it because my labs were always good strange. I also see a very good endocrinologist that knew had stuff so the whole point it's been 4 weeks and I'm feeling better still getting my level back to normal I'm on synthriod for the rest of my life but oh well at least I'm feeling better. Just some food for thought when you talk to your doctor. If you look right under your Adam's apple in the mirror and take a drink of something watch your throat you can see a lump it you have a goiter they are very noticeable that's how I seen mine as well. If you have question about your thyroid hit me up in a PM or on here good luck.

Houston
Red Raider

Postby DKM on June 24th, 2014, 12:35 am

johnnythejet wrote:
DKM wrote:I have my follow up appointment with the Neuro 3 weeks from now so will hopefully get a bit more clarity as to what could me causing my symptoms. I'll post again after my appointment.

Don't expect any clarity as to what could be causing your symptoms. Even if the neuro gives you a few potential reasons, don't put to much faith or hope in associated solutions. Other than that, you're very wise to put your faith in what the neuro has told you so far. History has proven that your case (as with the rest of us) is of a benign nature, and you should have no doubts. You're neuro is correct in his diagnosis, and there is no amount of money I wouldn't bet on it.

Thanks Jonny,

Yeah I will wait and see what the outcome of my blood analysis is and see what step the Neuro want to take next. My anxiety has somewhat calmed down even though my twitching hasn't.
DKM

Postby DKM on June 24th, 2014, 12:38 am

Red Raider wrote:Hey brother let me know about your thyroid test. The reason why I had mine taken out about 4 weeks ago. I have had issues with mine for awhile but this is the kicker ask your doctor about this. I know everybody is different but when they tested mine my thyroid levels and anti bodies were always good. So they sent me in for a ultra sound on my neck every 6 months sure enough my thyroid kept getting larger and larger that I started feeling a lump while I was swallowing. So I went in to the surgeons office and she said yup lets take it out so she removed my whole thyroid and sent it off to pathology to be tested for cancer and anything else. Well it came back neg for cancer thank the good Lord but I had full blown hosimotos disease and never knew it because my labs were always good strange. I also see a very good endocrinologist that knew had stuff so the whole point it's been 4 weeks and I'm feeling better still getting my level back to normal I'm on synthriod for the rest of my life but oh well at least I'm feeling better. Just some food for thought when you talk to your doctor. If you look right under your Adam's apple in the mirror and take a drink of something watch your throat you can see a lump it you have a goiter they are very noticeable that's how I seen mine as well. If you have question about your thyroid hit me up in a PM or on here good luck.

Houston

Thanks for the info Houston.

I had never really thought about Thyroid issues before but I do seem to have some classic symptoms such as TMJ and my fingertips going a bit wrinkly looking from time to time. As Jonny says, I am best not to hope too much for clarity on my symptoms but at least she is going through the stage of investigation and ruling out potential problems.
DKM

Postby Yuliasir on June 24th, 2014, 1:14 am

wrinkled fingertips are not a common symptom for our fellowship but I had noted several reports of this symptom (including me myself).
It could be a thyroid, however one must note that thyroid issues, unless really bad, are hard to spot by single analysis becasue of very high variations of the gland activity per day time (it really may just burst with hormones and then stay quiet and silent for a long time). And such wrinkles also could be casued by some autonomnous system disregulation we often complain for - the fingertips are sweating more than usually in response of any physical stimulus (like typing) therefore causing wetting and wrinkled tissue. So even if your hormone level would be normal, it would be worth maybe to continue follow up with the endocrinologist about once per year to see how it is going on.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Red Raider on June 24th, 2014, 10:59 pm

Yuliasir is right man, hormones mine would be raging one day and calm the next. Anxiety! My thyroid caused me to have anxiety sweating crazy feeling you know how I can tell now because I've had it removed but I have been dealing with it for along time brother like 3 or 4 years man so just like Yuliasir said it can take awhile and it is wise to seek out a endo to follow you just to watch it. Johnny jet is also correct don't put much hope on stuff because it can be anything you know. But if you get your thyroid check by a endo they can tell immediately if you have a problem but they will won't to try and control it first then eventually surgery because if you catch it early then you can control it but mine I couldn't it just kept getting worse. But I can honestly say since it's been out and I'm getting my levels back to normal I feel better I'm motivated I don't up and down days and my anxiety is less and so is my twitching so.

Houston
Red Raider

Postby German2 on June 25th, 2014, 10:16 am

I agree with Yuliasir. I had wrinkeld finger tips (among variety of symptoms, just a small one). And I have hashimoto and another autoimmune disease which is still not found, causing nerve pain and maybe polineuropathie, which is not completely confirmed. But I can tell you, my hands were very cavernous. When I took thyroid hormones for the first time, the wrinkels vanished. A few weeks later they came back, then I increased hormones after blood testing...and they vanished again. And so on...
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on June 25th, 2014, 10:20 am

By the way, the other symptoms you mentioned, globus feeling, burning sensation, anxiety is also related to hashimoto. I have it by myself, adding numbness, getting awake in between 3 and 4 in the night...just to mention a few. Only my nerve pain guides my thyroid doctor to another autimmune desease..
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby DKM on June 25th, 2014, 9:13 pm

German2 wrote:By the way, the other symptoms you mentioned, globus feeling, burning sensation, anxiety is also related to hashimoto. I have it by myself, adding numbness, getting awake in between 3 and 4 in the night...just to mention a few. Only my nerve pain guides my thyroid doctor to another autimmune desease..

Hi G2,

Thanks for some info on your symptoms. Did / do you have any TMJ or sinus issues at all with your Thyroid problems?
DKM

Postby German2 on June 26th, 2014, 1:11 am

can you give me the full name of TMJ? No, I don't have any sinus issues up to now.
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby DKM on June 26th, 2014, 1:20 am

German2 wrote:can you give me the full name of TMJ? No, I don't have any sinus issues up to now.

TMJ is when your jaw tightens up.
DKM

Postby Red Raider on June 26th, 2014, 1:46 am

DKM

Hey my man I might be wrong on this but I don't think your thyroid has anything to do with TMJ or sinuses it might I'm no doctor. I had full blown hosimotos disease and dealt with it for along time. I had sinus issues and guess what I still have sinus issues and I have had my complete thyroid removed. Still have a tight jaw (TMJ) still there so who knows man everybody is different my friend. When you go to your doc ask them about sinuses and TMJ and if it has anything to do with your thyroid I mean our thyroid run a lot stuff in your body so. Don't know man but I don't think it causes sinus issues man or TMJ that's my opinion. Your TMJ could be coming from anxiety that your thyroid is causing that is how they can be linked together like for example when people get anxious they clinch their teeth I know because I'm one of those people. I still do that without a thyroid my man. TMJ is from anxiety clinching teeth, biting down to hard and just stress man.

Take care man
Houston
Red Raider

Postby DKM on June 26th, 2014, 2:25 am

Red Raider wrote:DKM

Hey my man I might be wrong on this but I don't think your thyroid has anything to do with TMJ or sinuses it might I'm no doctor. I had full blown hosimotos disease and dealt with it for along time. I had sinus issues and guess what I still have sinus issues and I have had my complete thyroid removed. Still have a tight jaw (TMJ) still there so who knows man everybody is different my friend. When you go to your doc ask them about sinuses and TMJ and if it has anything to do with your thyroid I mean our thyroid run a lot stuff in your body so. Don't know man but I don't think it causes sinus issues man or TMJ that's my opinion. Your TMJ could be coming from anxiety that your thyroid is causing that is how they can be linked together like for example when people get anxious they clinch their teeth I know because I'm one of those people. I still do that without a thyroid my man. TMJ is from anxiety clinching teeth, biting down to hard and just stress man.

Take care man
Houston

I had read on the internet of people with thyroid issues who had TMJ also so I am not sure if it could be linked but just affects each person differently... who knows. After all the crazy symptoms I've had over the last 4 months nothing suprises me anymore. The fatigue absoutely killed me last week but I am feeling more energetic this week. Who knows what awaits me next week but one thing I have really learned is to appreciate life as it can be taken away from you son quickly. These last 4 months were the first time I had ever felt fearful of death as I was so anxious of having a serious disease such as MND. I am waaay to young to go yet!!
DKM

Postby German2 on June 26th, 2014, 2:52 am

DKM, thanks for the explanation. Yes, I have a lot problems with TMJ. Very much pain in the yaw and cheeck biting due to tensed yaw muscles. I know from hashimoto forum that a lot of people have that. I don't know whether it is related to Hashimoto directly, or due to the axienty this desease causes. But anyway. It also belongs to the picture.
German2
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to General Topics