Diet

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Diet

Postby jcmommie on April 27th, 2014, 9:49 am

I've read the Caveman thread & wanted to throw out my diet that I'm on. It's totally an experiment to see if, overall, it helps my twitching, cramping & energy levels. That, and I needed to lose 45 pounds (now 35!)

It is basically a Paleo diet. I found the plan on www.paleomom.com
She also has a more restrictive detox diet for people with diagnosed or suspected autoimmune disese called the Autoimmune protocol. Foods can be added back in one at a time after a period of 1-3 months, or until your gut lining is healed and you are seeing some improvement in symptoms. With so many restrictions, weight loss is bound to happen. I haven't started the AI protocol, but am trying to gear up for it.

If anyone here wants to take a look at her website and tell me what you think, I'd love to hear from you. Trying a new diet that is so different from our Standard American Diet can get lonely sometimes!
Just keep swimming...
jcmommie

Re: Diet

Postby BFSBurger on May 3rd, 2014, 12:29 am

I highly recommend this approach.

Even if the problem isnt the Gut, it has been scientifically proven that the Gut will aggravate symptoms of other conditions, and a huge percentage of the time, is the long-term cause of the development of those conditions in the first place. Therefore addressing the gut damage issue can not only reduce symptoms, but often completely eliminate the condition altogether. More and more people are finding this to be true as the research starts to come out. Dr. Terry Wahls has reversed her multiple sclerosis with a similar approach, and is documenting her progress and doing trials on patients.

Paleo is good except for one thing (in my opinion). The absence of carbs. I would recommend Chris Kresser's approach, which allows for energy-providing safe carbs like sweet potatoes, white potatoes without the skins, and white rice. In that order of chronology as you begin to heal. I switched to a Paleo-like diet and, along with a very careful physical therapy regimen, it was the thing which finally put the nail in my BFS coffin once and for all. But I stuck with it for several months. Not just a half-*ssed attempt for a few weeks, with cheat meals mixed in. That isn't going to do a thing. I say Paleo-like because without the carbs, I could sense my body struggling for energy. And that always made my symptoms worse. The key with BFS is to create a place of tranquility for your mind and your body. Sufficient dietary energy is part of doing that. Thus - safe carbs. Paleo is very carb-deficient.

Good luck, and please stick with it without cheating for at least 3-6 months. Highly recommend Bone Broth Soup as it directly heals the gut lining. You may wish to read Chris Kressers book, or listen to his podcast: The Healthy Skeptic.

-B-
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Re: Diet

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics