Tingling before fasciculations

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Tingling before fasciculations

Postby HeyHeyJJ on April 10th, 2014, 1:08 pm

In August '13 I began to notice a very slight tingling in my left shoulder blade which I attributed to moving and stress since I had just completed a cross country move for my job and I was still sleeping on an air mattress. The tingling would come and go and I would normally feel it at night when lying on my back. During this time I went from being an very avid cyclist to not cycling at all because the city I moved to is not bike friendly. However, I did end up finding a bike path and started back at my normal intensity after several months off since my cardio was still great. Also during this time I had been suffering through a severe sinus infection and was prescribed an antibiotic and pseudoephedrine.

Fast forward to the last week of September, the night I started taking the meds I developed very rapid twitches in both calves; I am no stranger to muscle twitches since I cycle so much but they usually stop just as fast as they come on. I started googling and of course *** pops up and I freak out and the twitches instantly moved into my forearms and they eventually moved everywhere imaginable. I went to see my neuro for a clinical which was fine expect for symmetric hyperreflexia in my legs, which he attributed to anxiety and he also diagnosed me with GAD. He said I had benign fasciculations that where triggered by my complete 180 in intensive exercise routine which irritated my nerve endings and combined with the pseudoephedrine(stimulant) triggered the fasciculations. He said I was a textbook case of someone doing everything wrong because of the lack of exercise, infections, stress of starting a new job within my company, and moving across the country with my company sent my body into complete panic mode. He said an EMG was not needed and gave me an excellent prognosis.

The tingling continued in my shoulder blade and has developed into a crawling senstation and pain. My GP could feel spasms occurring in the muscles along side my spine and muscle relaxers did not help. My neuro ordered a brain and cervical spine MRI to rule out MS since I was also having other sensory issues in my arms and legs, which came back fine. He said the tingling and pain is most likely caused by stress and a continued build up of tension from my continued *** freak out. The pain and tingling isn't constant and it feels best when I am lying completely flat on the floor with no pillow and worst when I am at my desk being a nerdy data scientist even though I have ever ergo thing you can imagine. The pain also seems to radiate into my neck and shoulder.

I recently went back to my neuro for a 6 month follow up after the twitches started which was also clean except for the reflexes but I have always had "very brisk" reflexes for as long as I can remember during my annual physicals. The tingling and back pain has continued but so has my anxiety from the very beginning and my neuro would like me have health anxiety counseling which I have scheduled with a Dr. he highly recommends. I am currently taking xanax for anxiety attacks from this whole fiasco. The muscle fasciculations have continued and at time they can leave my muscles feeling exhausted if they twitch for awhile. During the past six months I noticed some fatigue but it hasn't keep me from going skiing and running, I think the anxiety keeps me from getting back to my old exercise routine more than anything.

My question is has anyone had tingling before fasciculations and could there be anything omnious in their presentation before the twitches started? I have read a few scary stories where they call situations like this a noticeable deficit before onset. I am hoping this is just stress and reading way too much into things or I need to see a chiro.
HeyHeyJJ
Interested
Interested

Re: Tingling before fasciculations

Postby swickman on April 16th, 2014, 11:35 am

JJ, if this has been going on for six months and you've seen a neuro twice (with an MRI), I think you're okay. I get stress-related tingling and numbness in all sorts of places. I even used to get it in a fairly wide spot in the middle of my back. The back numbness didn't precede fasciculations, but I have had numbness preceding fascics in my calf.

It sounds like if you're sitting at a computer all day, you might want to rethink your posture. Google something called "forward head posture" because it can cause many of the symptoms you are having. The fact that you can lie on your back and feel relief seems to point to a postural issue. Hope that helps!
swickman

Postby HeyHeyJJ on April 16th, 2014, 3:03 pm

Swickman, thank you very much for the reply. I actually went to see a chiro yesterday and he did a electrical stimulation treatment and it got rid of the muscle knots that have been in my back for months. He also took a few xrays to see if I needed any cervical or thoracic spine adjustments. I am finally realizing that my neuro was correct in his diagnosis that these are anxiety related symptoms that have been building for a very long time. It is just easy to doubt professionals when anyone can become a "professional" on Google.

Since I am rather new to BFS any new symptoms are a big set back for me. I recognize this fault in myself so hopefully I can address it moving forward with my scheduled health anxiety therapy sessions.

swickman wrote:JJ, if this has been going on for six months and you've seen a neuro twice (with an MRI), I think you're okay. I get stress-related tingling and numbness in all sorts of places. I even used to get it in a fairly wide spot in the middle of my back. The back numbness didn't precede fasciculations, but I have had numbness preceding fascics in my calf.

It sounds like if you're sitting at a computer all day, you might want to rethink your posture. Google something called "forward head posture" because it can cause many of the symptoms you are having. The fact that you can lie on your back and feel relief seems to point to a postural issue. Hope that helps!
HeyHeyJJ
Interested
Interested

Postby swickman on April 16th, 2014, 4:55 pm

Just like many other BFS'ers I've been reading here, you sound exactly like me. I've had a trembling thumb for a week or so and today I woke up to a persistent twitch in my left eyelid that caused me to think I was having issues with my eye itself. Each new symptom makes me think "that's DEFINITELY MS" or "that's DEFINITELY PD" so I finally scheduled my first psychiatric appointment yesterday. My neuro just did a visual check of me and said I had BFS, so I'm trying to trust that he knew just what to look for, but as a hypochondriac, I have a difficult time resting easy.
swickman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics