Question About Tremors and BFS

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Question About Tremors and BFS

Postby swickman on April 7th, 2014, 6:34 pm

Hi all, I have been lurking here, reading topics on the message boards for months and finally decided to make my first post and ask a few questions.

First off, I'm a 43 year old male, married 15+ years, father of three, soccer coach and sports enthusiast with my kids...AND...I am most definitely a nervous hypochondriac. I once convinced myself that I had ALS and even had a hard time believing it when the neurologist said my EMG was clean. I am also highly stressed at work, mostly due to my own fears getting the best of me.

About six months ago, I was in a highly stressed out period of my life at work and my chiropractor mentioned that some back pain I was having might be arthritis. That set me on a downward spiral that resulted in my noticing a twitch in my left calf that would not stop. Since then, it has twitched all day, every day, twenty times a minute for six months. I have twitching elsewhere but the calf never seems to go away. Thanks to this site and my previous experience in convincing myself I had ALS, I ruled out ALS as a possibility. Unfortunately, I jumped quickly over to MS and Parkinson's instead. I tried to convince myself that it was stress and really held off on seeing a neurologist for a while.

I finally saw a neurologist two weeks ago. A few days before seeing him, I started noticing a fluttering tremor in my thumb pad when I held my thumb a certain way. The neurologist did a handful of visual tests and after about 5 minutes pronounced that I have BFS. I was expecting the diagnosis. I tried to mention the flutter in the thumb pad but he said if it was Parkinson's, he would have noticed it right away.

I'm 98% comfortable with his diagnosis but (mainly due to the hypochondriac in me), I've been noticing the hand tremor more and more since the appointment. After doing some construction work in my yard over the weekend, I noticed that the muscle in my thumb pad was trembling this morning at work while I was resting my hand on the mouse. I have had a postural tremor in my right hand for several years now but this new symptom is slightly different in that it is isolated to the muscles in my thumb pad.

I haven't seen too much talk about the topic of tremors on this site and just wanted to throw my symptom out to the peanut gallery in hopes that I can stop wasting precious neurologist time. Have other people with BFS experienced anything like this? Is this a standard symptom of BFS? I have been taking sublingual B12 (methylcobalamin) and magnesium glycinate for a couple of months now, so I think I can rule out those two deficiencies as potential causes of BFS for me. Any thoughts (particularly those that are reassuring from other tremor sufferers with BFS) on this subject would be very much appreciated.
swickman

Re: Question About Tremors and BFS

Postby leaflea on April 14th, 2014, 8:27 pm

swickman, I most certainly also have the tremor. It comes and goes. Sometimes it feels as though my whole body is tremoring. Sometimes it is one hand and/or arm or the other. I also have the buzzing on the palm of my hand. Seeing a therapist now. It is helping. May I ask what area of the country you are from?
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby swickman on April 15th, 2014, 7:02 pm

Thanks for the response, leaflea!

I'm in the Sacramento, CA area. I've been twitching in response to stress for many years now, but only in the last 6 months has it been constant. The tremor has been there, on and off, for a couple of years now.

My biggest challenge is that, even though I can logically convince myself that my issues are mental, the fear of something like PD robbing my kids of an active father has seeped into my subconscious and won't let go. For the past two or three months, I have been unable to sleep soundly and I keep waking up with fear that something really is wrong with me.

Now that I have finally seen a neuro (I also saw one 10 years ago when I convinced myself that I had ALS), I have finally scheduled an appointment to talk to a psychiatrist and address what I am fairly sure is Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I don't really want long term meds, so I'm hoping they can help me with CBT or some short term meds to break the cycle of fear. I'm normally a fairly easygoing guy but when I let hypochondria get to me, I can be unbearable for my family.
swickman

Postby leaflea on April 15th, 2014, 8:27 pm

I'm with you on all of that! I do think CBT will be helpful! No meds likely needed. I typically also am pretty easy going, but this thing has been getting the better of me. Gotta beat it! I get the tremor in the middle of the night. When it first happened, it felt like the house was shaking (felt like when I've been in an earthquake before), then I realized it was me. PD fears pale against ALS, don't you think? PD is a treatable disease...Michael J. Fox wrote a book "Lucky Guy." Fantastic perspective.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby swickman on April 16th, 2014, 11:26 am

You're right, it definitely pales in comparison to ALS. Unfortunately, I can't read a book like Fox's because I'm such a hypochondriac, it would likely make me worse. I'm just hoping that some mental help will get me straightened out to the point that I can go on living life like a normal person again.
swickman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics