Saw the neuro...eased mind a little

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Saw the neuro...eased mind a little

Postby Dmoney on January 28th, 2014, 9:30 pm

I saw a neuro last week who put me through a clinical exam and found nothing, no babinski no clonus no weakness etc. Also had no twitches at all while there. It helped but he recommended lab work to make sure. Next day was great but then the calf twitches came back and I had a few in my thumb, but only when I would get it in certain positions. I played 2 hours of basketball the other night with no issues but my right calf has been sore since, maybe due to all the strength tests. Anyway, my questions are:

If it was something worse, wouldn't I have twitching all the time, not just when relaxed and not bad one day, none the next?

Would 2 months of twitches be enough to see weakness?

Would babinski or brisk reflexes show up at this point cause both were normal?

I have some really good days but sometimes I focus on it more and it's worse. Thanks for any input.
Dmoney

Re: Saw the neuro...eased mind a little

Postby ShawnW on February 14th, 2014, 8:02 am

No doc will say always...every time. There are always stories of rare and odd presentations. What I will say is this...it generally happens in this order. Asymmetric hyperreflexia, weakness, atrophy THEN fasiculations. Physiologically fasiculations in *** shouldn't happen without atrophy...after muscle death. They tend to happen first in an isolated limb where you already know something is wrong. Diseases don't read medical text books, they do what they want to do. But, they do have rules they generally live by. Worrying about extremely rare presentations of extremely rare disorders is a huge waste of our God given time on this earth.
ShawnW
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby sgupta on February 14th, 2014, 8:44 pm

From what I know from researching:
- Yes, twitches usually come AFTER weakness. That's not to say another presentation is *impossible*, as *impossible* is a BIG concept, but it's highly, highly, highly unlikely, and you shouldn't worry about it.
- Similarly, 2 months with no weakness is a great sign. As stated above, weakness usually precedes twitching, but *even in the very unlikely case* that twitching was the first sign, weakness would be following closely in most cases (I'd think weeks, not months; again, if longer is even possible, it is highly, highly unusual).
- Generally symptoms in something more serious get progressively worse; you don't get days that are much better, then much worse. You also specifically mention it's when you're focusing on it, and that makes a difference!
- Your neuro found nothing. He's the expert, probably more than most anyone even on these forums. If he thinks you're fine, you're probably fine! The lab work is most likely a formality to ease your mind and further rule anything out, just in case, so to speak. Just remember thoroughness is for your benefit and peace of mind, NOT because he thinks there's something wrong (and sounds like he told you as much).
- Good on you playing basketball - I wouldn't worry about the soreness. The fact is, you can play and enjoy the game without issues with coordination or weakness; that's definitely a great thing.

Hang in there; I know this anxiety is tough to beat, but you can do it!
sgupta
Interested
Interested

Postby sgupta on February 14th, 2014, 8:44 pm

From what I know from researching:
- Yes, twitches usually come AFTER weakness. That's not to say another presentation is *impossible*, as *impossible* is a BIG concept, but it's highly, highly, highly unlikely, and you shouldn't worry about it.
- Similarly, 2 months with no weakness is a great sign. As stated above, weakness usually precedes twitching, but *even in the very unlikely case* that twitching was the first sign, weakness would be following closely in most cases (I'd think weeks, not months; again, if longer is even possible, it is highly, highly unusual).
- Generally symptoms in something more serious get progressively worse; you don't get days that are much better, then much worse. You also specifically mention it's when you're focusing on it, and that makes a difference!
- Your neuro found nothing. He's the expert, probably more than most anyone even on these forums. If he thinks you're fine, you're probably fine! The lab work is most likely a formality to ease your mind and further rule anything out, just in case, so to speak. Just remember thoroughness is for your benefit and peace of mind, NOT because he thinks there's something wrong (and sounds like he told you as much).
- Good on you playing basketball - I wouldn't worry about the soreness. The fact is, you can play and enjoy the game without issues with coordination or weakness; that's definitely a great thing.

Hang in there; I know this anxiety is tough to beat, but you can do it!
sgupta
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics