Hi everyone!

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Hi everyone!

Postby Watereddown on January 8th, 2014, 4:20 am

Whats up everybody!

First time posting, but have been a long time lurker.

I don't even know where to start! The past 6 months of my life have been the most challenging, high's and low's I have ever experienced ever. I just recently turned 23, but the stress from all the possible NMD have made me feel like i'm 50. This is a little bit how my story begins:

It all began in the beginning of July where I awoke to left my hand and left foot both tingling. It was the strangest thing ever. I instantly thought the worst and went to the hospital thinking it was MS. The funny thing is, during the periods before this, I was in and out of the hospital thinking I had a bunch of other diseases that I didn't have. After the doctor looked at me as if I was crazy to even think that I had MS (there was no other symptoms besides the annoying tingling) he sent me home saying I had slept wrong and irritated nerves. For some reason, I couldn't buy it. The thought of MS consumed me. I began googling it non-stop, only to make the paranoia worse. I saw a neurologist a few days later and after his examination, he wouldn't even order me an MRI, even though I was asking for one. Satisfied, I went home, thinking I could close the book on that entire mini fiasco that lasted a good week. However, thats when the twitches began. And i mean they came in like a wrecking ball (...sorry). I awoke from a horrible dream to notice my entire body was trembling. It was difficult to stand. It felt like every muscle in my body was twitching. Im convinced that night opened up the flood gates. Since that night, I've had non-stop twitching. Any muscle, you name it, and it's twitched (lately my nose has been doing it non-stop).

I hate to admit it, but i became that guy. I became the guy that no matter what you tell him/her, theres no changing their mind. It was either ALS/MS, and the neurologist must've had a "bad day" and just missed it. I was in a vicious cycle and just couldn't get out of it. And as a consequence, I ended up seeing not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 neurologists, and at the end of each consultation, they all recommended I begin taking stress management classes. A brain MRI was ordered, and viewed by all of them, and each said it was very normal.

The reason Im writing about this is because I feel as if I have read my story over and over again on this site. I don't know why we do it to ourselves, but we do. It's human nature. Its engrained in our psyche. From the pre-historic days, our wiring and circuitry are so in tuned, that we feel everything. It is so evident when I'm reading someone's story and I just think to myself, "man this person is crazy, what are they looking for? There's nothing wrong with them other than some weird sensations!". However when it comes to myself, it is something more severe.

At this point, 6 months in, I am relatively at peace with everything. I don't know if I'm out of the woods, hell I don't even know if I entered the woods. All I know is that I've done everything I could at this point. I've seen many doctors, and have had many tests done. I guess there comes a time in life where all of us get tested one way or another. There's no other way of putting it. To everyone who comments on these forums, thanks for everything. You've really helped me, and probably many others come back to Earth after our mind begins to start racing. I for one have never really worried about ALS because thankfully, right as ALS thoughts began intruding my mind, I stumbled upon this site, which made everything better. I just wish there was something similar with MS! I guess I should mention all of my symptoms that I've felt these past 6 months, although I am pretty sure every one of my symptom i have seen listed before:

-Transient pins and needles sensations
-Hot and cold patches on the skin (sometimes even severe burning)
-wide spread muscle twitching
-brain fog
-vibrating feeling under my skin (lately, my right shin has been vibrating really bad, actually has me worried a little bit)
-My right arm has begun to shake when I use it to stabilize my weight (seems like the shoulder muscle is tiring out way to quickly...anyone else have this problem? Doesn't do it all the time however)
-My eyes ache! Like a headache in the eye, those are really annoying
-I get a sensation that my muscles seem to be tearing. I guess a more proper way of saying it is the feeling you get of the onset of a cramp, however it never fully goes to a cramp, rather, it just goes away once i massage the area (Usually triceps/calves)
-Developed heart palpitations for the first time in my life recently. Kind of just comes out of nowhere, really weird
-Also developed GERD, with the classic lump in the throat sensation (had it on and off for a month)
-Legs feel heavy and tire at times
-Weird electrical kind of pulse that happens on my knee area every now and then. It's a really weird sensation but when I put my hand on the area it almost immediately goes away, then when I take my hand off, it begins again (..please tell me Im not the only one thats felt this...???)

Im sure there are more that I just can't think of at this moment. The neurologist all told me I had benign fasciculation's, and that is what led me here. That is my story. I really have no idea what is at the core of many of our problems, but if it is just BFS, then I guess I cannot be angry. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read it. I'm sure my story sounds pretty familiar!
Watereddown

Re: Hi everyone!

Postby emmie.s on January 8th, 2014, 10:02 am

I think I just read your story 100 times in the past month. :) From the random twitching all over, to the pins and needles, vibrating/buzzing, ratchety/shaky muscles, "almost-cramps", anxiety,GERD, etc. etc.
Yes, I have the electrical pulsating sensations too. And I've had 2 MRIs for the both of us to rule out MS, so you don't have to LOL. Mine isn't on my knee but its on the back of my left leg. It comes and goes. I also had it on my right arm but I forgot about that one until you mentioned it, haha.
The good news is that there is no doubt in my mind you have BFS, and you're in the right place. Welcome!!!
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby Watereddown on January 8th, 2014, 2:48 pm

Lol Yes I figured. I recently went to an acupuncturist, and I have noticed a steady improvement. Placebo or not, I'll take it!
Watereddown

Postby muppetdog on January 12th, 2014, 12:40 am

I have had every one, and I mean every one, of those symptoms.
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Watereddown on January 14th, 2014, 1:40 pm

Hey MD,

How long have the symptoms been going on with you? I've been going 6 months strong, had a clean MRI though, so i hope that rules out anything nasty
Watereddown

Postby muppetdog on January 14th, 2014, 3:09 pm

I have been going for just over 2 years. Have had every test known to man.

Now a days, I have just random twitches that hit about 5-20 times and move to different spots throughout the day. I really could give a crap about the twitching. What I still deal with is sleep problems (I have to take meds to sleep, but am trying to get off of them so I can go back to work), some general fatigue, random aches and pains, sometimes I just have malaise that can last an hour or a day (I think its when I don't eat regularly but could be anything). I have buzzing in my feet and legs from time to time (like a cell phone) and I have burning skin (mostly from my ankles to my knees). The burning is not constant and only a level 4 or 5 at its worst. I also get times where I feel really week and shaky. If I do pushups I will start to shake pretty good. If I do what is called a Half Plank in yoga, I can shake pretty good. Sometimes my muscles get fatigued pretty fast, like stirring mashed potatoes the other day or bushing my teeth. It does not happen all the time though. My left arm seems to get shaky sometimes when leaning on it right.

I still have other stuff, but am always working towards getting better. PM me if you have any questions.
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics