Goofed up and read an article.

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Goofed up and read an article.

Postby Arkansan on January 5th, 2014, 11:01 pm

So I read the article about the possible link between algae and ALS. Now I am paranoid every where I go about possibly coming into contact with it. I am stressing out now because my brother is here and dumped all his duck hunting clothes and gear from this morning at my house and for some reason I am convinced he could have come into contact with it wading around in a lake. I know how silly this is but I can't get it outbox my head :(
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Goofed up and read an article.

Postby veryworried123 on January 5th, 2014, 11:15 pm

I'm not sure what artical this is but this is nuts

Not really sure what else to say
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby leaflea on January 5th, 2014, 11:58 pm

Ditto on very worried. Silly. Glad you came for a reality check. Rest easy.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on January 6th, 2014, 2:10 am

that is ehy we need a) filter information b) treat our mood disorder, not twitching. Because this is really nuts and a good example of how information passes all barriers of criticality and hits exaclty in the alarm bell of amygdala.

as for POSSIBLE connection between algae and ALS, this idea is most probably based on the Chamorro people ALS-like disease investigated among others by doctor Oliver Sax to be found that most possibly it is a food poisoning related to the fact that Chamorro's main source of meat was a local bat, which in turn was a top eater of whaterver else accumulating neurotoxine from green-blue algae (I just wonder why bats did not had that poisoning, but maybe they were eaten before). Since Chamorro started to eat other types of meat introduced by Europeans and Americans, they ceased to die at 40 and now their mysterious disease just disappeared.
Some investigators went further and decided that not only cyanobacter (blue-green algae) but other algaes too myight have that neurotoxine. And that this SOMEHOW might be related to ALS.

I can say only that touching wet closes or even staying in one home with them would harm you much less than having for example black moulds in the bathroom. The last did not casue ALS but still can cause breathing disorder etc. Eating is essential for the poisoning like in Chamorro, and definitely you are not on such exclusive diet as Chamorro. For european people the most chances to eat something which was eating something which was eating cyanobacters is to base diet on birds like heron and other frog and fish eating animals (crocodiles? do not know practically, mostly we do not eat them). Suppose you do not eat herons. Eating ducs and even frogs or crayfish is safe, as the experience says, becasue they are only in the lower step of this food chain, and experience of nations like irelands who had a habit to eat coocekd seaweed (red one, aslo blamed for possible nerotoxines) says that rather not, it does not kill even if you cook and consume it for the whole life.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics