EMG training and type

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

EMG training and type

Postby leaflea on January 2nd, 2014, 6:38 pm

Anyone know why a highly respected neuro clinic uses techs? My tech was a secretary they offered to give training. Also the difference between needle and surface EMG ?
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Re: EMG training and type

Postby Yuliasir on January 3rd, 2014, 1:15 am

Surface EMG is a bit like EEG - it catches the muscular activity signals from your skin, therefore it is less detailed and reflects only overall operation of your muscle. to see how a single bundle (operated by a single neuron) works, you need a needle one.

I probably would not be bothered with the fact that your EMG was done by a trained secretary unless she was not also giving any evaluation :) However, modern EMG machines are highly automated and all she or he must to know is where to place electrodes or how to insert needles and how to keep aseptics, and software may interpret the results.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby leaflea on January 3rd, 2014, 9:41 am

Thank you Yuliasir, that is helpful. I had seen a study that said surface EMG is more sensitive for ALS and yet I have seen nothing from anyone on this board with a search about having had one, including anyone having gone to ALS clinic. My tech must be well respected by the doctors. I used to work at this fairly large clinic and they must have seen and liked her work ethic, attention to detail or something. I respect each of these neurologists and know the reputation of the clinic. She did give me indication but limited what she could say. Official neuro report came through my GP as "normal" with caveat to keep my neuro appt . As ive not had one yet.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics