New Need Some Advise...

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New Need Some Advise...

Postby siusmlls on December 23rd, 2013, 11:01 am

Hi All,

I'm a very healthy 32 year old male which has been going through some stress and anxiety in the last year. Within the last 6 months I have been experienced muscle tightness in my left calf while exercising which has escalated to constant tightness and perceived weakness. Just in the last month I have been experiencing muscle spasms all over. I did the bad thing and googled my symptoms and a bunch of really bad things came up as you all know.

Since then I have been worrying about ALS constantly and have been experiencing perceived weakness and tightness in my left leg and arm which is noticeable when walking. I have had an MRI and EMG and the neurologist said I do not have ALS and my strength is good but I can't get the thought out of my head.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
siusmlls

Re: New Need Some Advise...

Postby UTtwitch on December 23rd, 2013, 11:42 am

You fit the profile of many on here. Hang in there. One of the recurring themes you will see on this board is "trust your Doctor and his/her diagnosis". Remember, these doctors have seen ALS and other neurological diseases and usually (nothing is 100%) they can tell fairly quickly and easily when something sinister is going on. If your neurologist said no ALS you need to believe him/her. Its easy to get into the trap that you are the exception but reason and logic say otherwise.
UTtwitch
Interested
Interested

Postby Aviationrocks1 on December 23rd, 2013, 3:27 pm

I am just over a year into this and I, as well as many others can attest to the feelings you are having in your calves. I run on almost a daily basis and my calves are always tight and sore it seems. Yet, I can still run! Sounds completely "normal" for this. I completely concur about trusting your doctor. That's the trouble most of us have on here. We "hear" or "see" some story about this ONE person, and think that we fit the mold. Realistidcally and statistically, that's just not the case. Trust your doctor, they are trained to find things wrong with people. And keep working out. I find that my symptoms actually get worse the more I don't work out. Not to say I don't twitch like a popcorn machine afterwards, I just simply feel better.
Aviationrocks1

Postby siusmlls on December 23rd, 2013, 6:03 pm

Thanks Guys! The responses mean a lot to me.

One more question. How accurate is EMG testing and can it be done too early?
siusmlls

Postby leaflea on December 23rd, 2013, 7:01 pm

From what I understand...only from extensive reading and research in recent weeks and what was told to me by my own tech...EMG is very sensitive for motor neuron disease (ALS)- while there are more false negatives when it is looking for other things like nerve entrapment or carpal tunnel syndrome. False negatives for motor neuron disease are almost unheard of. It can find things going on in any part of the body. For example, if left arm is tested, it will show if anything is going on in right leg. It also will find things a few months even before symptoms are noticed...It will show the specific pattern of ALS before one experiences any weakness or twitches. Once twitching happens, it would certainly pick this up. This is my understanding only.....board members PLEASE feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby veryworried123 on December 23rd, 2013, 8:19 pm

thats correct as my nero (who thinks i'm nuts) mentioned to me "i can put a needle in any part of that body and i can tell if its a** right away"

i asked him many questions about the emg test
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby Aviationrocks1 on December 23rd, 2013, 9:27 pm

You will read a lot of differing opinions about this. I'm not an expert so can only offer up what my neuro said. I had my EMG done about a month after the twitching started. After the exam and during the course of any questions he said: "if your twitching was caused by ALS I would have expected to find something in 3 or 4 limbs. I found nothing in any."
Aviationrocks1

Postby veryworried123 on December 23rd, 2013, 9:53 pm

So I guess we're saying the same thing?

I think right?
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby leaflea on December 24th, 2013, 12:01 am

The three of us anyway. This is a big topic. One or two other people asked something similar today. So, I hope they're reading. I think some "vets" who have maybe had more than 1 EMG or seen a few neuros and heard from the pros will chime in coming days. Hope so.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby Aviationrocks1 on December 24th, 2013, 12:25 am

Yep, saying the same thing. I was just adding my experience to it.
Aviationrocks1

Postby siusmlls on December 24th, 2013, 10:01 am

That makes me feel a bit better.

Does anyone wake up in the morning and feel stiff all over. I just woke up this morning and my left thumb, forearm and shoulder and calves feel really stiff and I'm pretty worried about it. The shoulder feels like i pulled it?
siusmlls

Postby UTtwitch on December 24th, 2013, 11:39 am

I generally feel worse in the morning. I have woken up a few times and my hands have been stiff and sometimes I fell like my calves are ready to cramp. It goes away after I start moving around. I am convinced that my anxiety has caused my body to be in a constant "fight or flight mode" and my muscles, nerves etc are fatigued from constantly being on high alert. Just my opinion.
UTtwitch
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics