Old PD fears flared up again.

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Old PD fears flared up again.

Postby Arkansan on December 22nd, 2013, 3:49 pm

So it has been a really crazy month for me, new baby, new job working overnights, you name it. On top of that my job shorted me 20 hours on my check, my neighbors dog attacked my wife while holding our newborn and he and I got into a fist fight over it and somehow he's convinced I owe him money for damages. I feel like my tremors has disappeared or at least greatly faded for a month or so, then in the days leading up to my sons birth I started worrying about it again, I think I noticed them while doing something and that set me back off.

Now they are back full force, my left is worse than my right 95 percent of the time but randomly I will have a day where the right is the worst of the two. If I open my fist from a closed position the fingers tremble, sometimes fiercely sometimes much less so, then after holding the hand open, for a perhaps a second to two seconds they calm down quite a bit and the whole hand seems to settle into a rather fine tremor then from time to time a finger will pop back and forth or up and down and I can feel the muscle under it jerk.

I am worried about all of this, I feel like my hand writing may be smaller than it used to be but I can't be sure of that as I feel like when I am keyed up like this I am not a good judge. I also feel shaky when doing things with my hands sometimes. I am really scared about this again. If am standing up and holding my hands up in front of me with my fist balled up I also see some shaking or tremoring.

I also worry because I don't smell things very well, or at least I don't feel like I do and I hear that can be a PD thing, although I have chronic sinusitis and a badly deviated septum. Another thing that frightens me is that I really just don't have that many twitches now, I have one here or there in my arms but sometimes they are days apart which makes me worry that maybe this is not bfs.

Also when I am working out with my coach and he flashes a target on the focus mitts sometimes I feel like I have trouble firing off a shot, though that could just be a mental lock up. I mean my coach (my dad) says I am a bit quicker and sharper hitting here latley I feel like anytime I have to anticipate something like hitting a target my hands get a bit termory and I goof up or can't get the movement off right, but other drills I do just fine, though I do notice that problem more with drills I have not run before. Does anybody else ever notice shaking or tremoring when anticipating a movement with a limb?

Am I just way over thinking this? I was doing so much better for like a month and didn't feel like I was really having these symptoms anymore or they were so minute that I did not notice.

I mean I can still kick, punch, and work out and what not. So how do I know if this is PD or just bfs? Another thing that is causing my anxiety about this is seeing my grandfather suffer from PD even though his tremors look different somehow.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Old PD fears flared up again.

Postby yaumno on December 23rd, 2013, 6:56 am

Allow me to begin by stating, with no uncertainty, that you do not have Parkinson's Disease. My father has Parkinson's Disease and for four years I have watched him progress, all the way, from entirely healthy to relatively disabled. Parkinson's Disease, unlike sporadic ALS, has a very consistent and identifiable course that does not vary greatly from individual to individual. Parkinson's Disease is just one specific disorder that can cause the group of symptoms that neurologists refer to as "Parkinsonism." These symptoms include: tremor, hypokinesia, rigidity, and postural instability. What you have described is not consistent with this list of features.

I have identified 6 distinct points of interest from your post. Points 2 and 3 include all of the movement related problems and I will address each point sequentially.
1) You have recently experienced a period of increased stress (both physical and social). Your symptoms also cause you anxiety and you even admit to being "set off," and "over thinking this."
2) You notice "fierce trembling" when extending your fingers from a "closed fist" position. This ceases momentarily after the movement is completed.
3) You notice "fine tremors in your whole hand" and your "fingers pop back and forth or up and down" while the fingers are outstretched. You also notice some "shaking and tremors while holding your fists balled up in front of you." You notice a shaky feeling moments before initiating a voluntary movement (such as striking).
4) You believe that your handwriting may have changed in size relative to your typical handwriting.
5) You believe that your sense of smell may have changed relative to its typical state.
6) You have noticed a decrease in the overall number and frequency of twitches that you experience.

1) The phenomena that you are experiencing are almost certainly related to, if not entirely caused by, your stress and anxiety. I am one of the many "ratcheters" that you may have heard about in other posts on this forum. I, along with the others, experience muscles that shake and jiggle during eccentric muscular contractions (such as extending an arm) and during forceful isometric contractions (such as the plank exercise or moving a heavy object). It took me a long time to find the name of this condition - "E.P.T." or Enhanced Physiological Tremor. I won't go into all the details here but you should read my post at this link: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19853

I will restate this quote that I found from a rather old neurology textbook named "Marsden's Book of Movement Disorders":
"There are many causes of exaggerated physiological tremor...The commonest is emotional overactivity. Stress, anxiety, fear, and anger all enhance physiological tremor, probably due to enhanced sympathomimetic activity stimulating peripheral beta-adrenoreceptors. In those with chronic emotional problems, such as anxiety states, exaggerated physiological tremor may be a presenting complaint."

2) This is actually part of the "normal" physiological tremor that everyone experiences. Our muscles produce fluid movements by fighting each other for control of the bones to which they are attached. Everyone has this exact same phenomenon to some degree - go find a friend that will let you check out their body for a while as they perform the same motions as yourself and you will see that this is true. The problem is that our normal physiological tremor has become enhanced and we find ourselves suddenly aware of the fact that this is occurring.

3) Your fists shake when you hold them out because the muscles in your arms and hands are exerting themselves and becoming fatigued. This is partly caused by the buildup of lactic acid in muscle tissue during continued exertion. Ask anyone to hold a 25 lb dumbbell at arms length for 30 seconds and this phenomenon becomes readily evident. The fine tremors and slight movements in your fingers are caused by a combination of lactic acid buildup and physiological tremor. Everyone on the planet has some degree of shakiness in their fingers when they are fully outstretched. Just ask a friend to hold their arms up and fully extend their fingers - then place a thin sheet of paper on top of their hands and you will see what I mean.

4) This is neither quantifiable nor significant. My handwriting changes constantly depending on my mood, writing implement, and writing surface. I teach English to children in Taiwan and I consistently see their handwriting decline and improve throughout a single semester.

5) Again, this is neither quantifiable nor significant. Further, the fact that you have sinusitis and a deviated septum makes this symptom pathetically unlikely to be related to a neurological problem. Mr. Occam's Razor will help you here - "among competing hypotheses, the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions should be selected." Basically, what is the more likely scenario - that your sense of smell has changed due to a vastly complicated neurological problem, or due to your simple nasal problems?

6) Why would this concern you at all? Infrequent fasciculations (muscle twitches) are normal in all individuals, especially those involved in fitness routines. People are often too distracted to even notice or mention them. The fact that you report only having "one or two twitches, days apart" may even eliminate the possibility that you have BFS at all.

I strongly suggest that you immediately start a daily routine of deep breathing/relaxation exercises, stop worrying about Parkinson's Disease (because there is no cure for it anyway), and start reducing your overall daily stress. If your neighbors suck - move, if your job sucks - find another one that doesn't suck so much, et cetera.

If you have any comments or questions feel free to ask them here!
Tempus edax rerum: "Time devours all things" - Ovid from "Metamorphoses"
yaumno
Interested
Interested

Postby Yuliasir on December 23rd, 2013, 9:18 am

yaumno did a GREAT JOB!
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor