Study identifies genes, pathways altered during relaxation

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Study identifies genes, pathways altered during relaxation

Postby SecretAgentMan on December 7th, 2013, 9:03 pm

I found this today and posted it in a thread response, but I also thought that this was worthy of sharing in its own thread. How many of you actually have taken action to work at relaxing and reducing your stress and anxiety? By taken action I mean you are actively trying things like yoga, meditation, hypnosis, breathing exercises, or others. If you've failed to even try going out of your way to do relaxation techniques, perhaps this news of a recent study by the Massachusetts General Hospital might convince you to reconsider. Meditation changed my life dramatically for the better. I wish I had tried it earlier in life. I believe if I had integrated meditation into my lifestyle I never would have developed BFS in the first place. Many hard lessons would have been learned easier too. Oh well, such as life. I am grateful to have learned and benefited from it now that it is done. I hope someday many of you will say the same.

I also hope the gravity of this is not lost on people who read it. They are saying that just one relaxation session can alter the expression of genes in your body. Just one. Imagine the power of repeated use and integration into your lifestyle. Personally I like to meditate for 10 to 15 minutes every night before going to bed. I figure I need to relax to go to sleep anyway, so why not kill two birds with one stone. I meditate sitting up so that I don't fall asleep, but generally go right to bed afterwards. Some like to meditate in the morning to kick off their day. There really is not much you can do wrong in meditation. The main point is to quiet and calm your mind while focusing on breathing. I realize it sounds boring to just sit there, but once your focus is almost 100% internal you can have some pretty vivid daydreams that keep you self-reflective and quite entertained.

Anyway, here is the news of the study:

Study identifies genes, pathways altered during relaxation response practice
http://www.massgeneral.org/about/pressr ... px?id=1583

*edit- And here is yet another study by researchers in Wisconsin, Spain, and France referencing very similar results:

Researchers Finally Show How Mindfulness and Your Thoughts Can Induce Specific Molecular Changes To Your Genes
http://preventdisease.com/news/13/12051 ... enes.shtml
Last edited by SecretAgentMan on December 8th, 2013, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Re: Study identifies genes, pathways altered during relaxati

Postby leaflea on December 7th, 2013, 11:32 pm

Timely post. Thanks so much!
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on December 8th, 2013, 8:18 pm

I forget the terms for the two types of genetic changes in an adult human body, but there are two types:

1) Those that change in populations over time
2) Those that change in response to environmental triggers throughout the life of one individual.

The latter, includes gene markers which can switch on, and off. Thank God they go both ways. :) But it was really interesting to learn about this recently in a podcast with Chris Kresser that I listen to ("The Healthy Skeptic"). He commented that lifestyle and environment can actually switch on disease causing genes. Which makes total sense if you think about it. Many people end up with disease after exposure to toxins, certain food intakes, or living certain lifestyles. Fortunately, you can reverse many of these disease causing genetic mutations by modifying your environment and lifestyle. You can deactivate things that otherwise may fester and grow to something much worse. This is a great post. Hope someone on here takes it seriously and listens.

-BFSB-
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics