Diagnosis

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Diagnosis

Postby Jlc on December 5th, 2013, 10:14 pm

Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I have been on here. I am writing this post for anyone who might be interested and also for people, in the future, who will read my posts and wonder what happened to me.

I have been through hell for the last year. I have been convinced that I had many of the nastiest diseases that exist. Well, turns out I don't.

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and am taking lyrica. I gained back about 30 of the 50 pounds I had lost and haven't felt this good in months.

Just an fyi, I am a member of a few Fibromyalgia forums and fasciculations are a very common Fibromyalgia symptom. I know many people on here believe fibro and bfs are related, but Fibromyalgia can be treated, whereas bfs cannot (by medication anyways). Now, I am definitely not saying that everyone on here has Fibromyalgia, but you might want to run it by your doctor just in case.

FYI for anyone interested. My current symptoms are: severe morning stiffness, cramping of muscles, fogginess, dry eyes and mouth, trouble concentrating, twitches, postural tremors, fatigue, muscle spasms and acid reflux.

Cheers everyone,

James
Jlc

Re: Diagnosis

Postby aztwitchy on December 6th, 2013, 10:41 am

I share almost all of your symptoms. I have suspected fibromyalgia for a long while. its one of those conditions though that i can't find 2 doctors who agree on anything related to it. Throw in the fact I am male and you will get some really sideways looks as most think its a "woman's" disease.

glad to hear the lyrica is going good.
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby muppetdog on December 6th, 2013, 11:54 am

Good to hear you are doing better with your symptoms. I am routing for you!!

One thing, you mentioned dry eyes and mouth. Did you doctor check you out for Sjogren's Syndrome. I have read it can have all sorts of nerve pain, neuropathy, paresthesia, and even fasciculations associated with it.

Just a thought.

Glade your are doing better.
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Anxious guy on December 6th, 2013, 1:32 pm

That's interesting as I was treated for GERD and have sciatica, trembling feeling in legs mainly and bit in body... Hot sensations on limbs, tingling, hands are really affected when cold and of course a lot of fasciculation a from head to toe !
There's more but trying to focus on what you listed ...
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby Steph on December 6th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Interesting. My symptoms are also the exact same as you listed. The morning stiffness (especially in my feet/legs) is one that is quite painful for me. When I was at my worst with fear of ALS, in an attempt to demonstrate how I was too focused on ALS with the exclusion of other more likely causes, my husband Googled all of my symptoms and came back with fibromyalgia. He was convinced my symptoms were a much better fit for fibro than ALS and I did have to agree (36 yo female, pain w/out clinical weakness, IBS, GERD, anxiety, etc.). I hadn't pursued it because treatment didn't seem to differ much from what I am already doing. But, maybe a diagnosis and Lyrica is worth a try if it's working for you.
Steph

Postby shell67 on December 6th, 2013, 5:01 pm

James and Steph:

Do you have tenderness in various spots of the body that are part of the diagnostic criteria for fibro? I never had those tender spots, so I always assumed my issues were simply BFS-related. But I have a lot of morning stiffness, fogginess, and other stuff you mention. Hmmm.
shell67

Postby aztwitchy on December 6th, 2013, 6:05 pm

how many of you are taking PPI medications for your GERD? I have seen a lot of people show this as a side effect of long term use of those type of medications:

just one forum here:
http://forums.heartburn-help.com/showth ... t-question
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby BFSBurger on December 6th, 2013, 7:31 pm

Woke up with horribly dry eyes and mouth so many times when BFS was "active" ... definitely wondered about those diseases associated with it. But its also one of those things that came, and is now gone. So i guess not!
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby Jlc on December 6th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Thank you for the kind words everyone.

Shell, just an fyi that the diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia has changed and the tender points are no longer required for a diagnosis. The diagnosis is based on a sum of your total amount of symptoms. My doctor even gave me the sheet he used to determine my diagnosis.

First, your widespread pain index is determined and then added up. Next, you rank your symptom severity and this is added up as well. Finally, random symptoms are added up. Once the questionnaire is complete, all of your scores are added up and if you come within a certain range, a diagnosis is made.

The questionnaire is available at http://www.fmnetnews.com
Go to the link above and go to the search bar at the top. Type in "survey". It is the acr diagnostic criteria link that comes up.

I suggest that everyone take a look at the survey and take it to your doctor (if you believe you score high enough for a diagnosis). If, God forbid, any of you have to go on disability as a result of your illness, it is much easier to obtain disability for fibromyalgia than bfs.

I hope that this might help some of you out.

Thanks again everyone and I'll be around if anyone has any questions.

James
Jlc

Postby leaflea on December 8th, 2013, 11:37 am

shell67 wrote:James and Steph:

Do you have tenderness in various spots of the body that are part of the diagnostic criteria for fibro? I never had those tender spots, so I always assumed my issues were simply BFS-related. But I have a lot of morning stiffness, fogginess, and other stuff you mention. Hmmm.

Michele - here is something else we have in common. I have wondered if I have fibro also, but don't have those trigger spots.
Matthew 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
leaflea
Saint
Saint

Postby jerry2 on December 10th, 2013, 7:45 am

I have fibro by both criterium (old and new) but doctors say I don't have it. My trigger points are not by pressing on a body point but by moving a body part.
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Postby aztwitchy on December 10th, 2013, 10:48 am

jerry2 wrote:I have fibro by both criterium (old and new) but doctors say I don't have it. My trigger points are not by pressing on a body point but by moving a body part.

doctors are not good at diagnosing it....its one of those conditions that acts differently for different people. have they tried any medications typically used to treat fibro for you?
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby jerry2 on December 15th, 2013, 3:23 pm

Nope. In my country rheumatologists "detect" fibro. Rheumatologist tole me I don't have it and I am over stressed and over anxious and that is the reason for everything I have she told me. Head of the rheumatology department she is... So she didn't give me anything. I have lyrica, if this is any good for fibro, but I haven't taken it. My dad gave it to me, he has neuropathy. Doctors didn't give it to me.
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Postby aztwitchy on December 16th, 2013, 10:54 am

jerry2 wrote:Nope. In my country rheumatologists "detect" fibro. Rheumatologist tole me I don't have it and I am over stressed and over anxious and that is the reason for everything I have she told me. Head of the rheumatology department she is... So she didn't give me anything. I have lyrica, if this is any good for fibro, but I haven't taken it. My dad gave it to me, he has neuropathy. Doctors didn't give it to me.

such a common issue....so many doctors fail to look as anxiety as a symptom. There are a large number of disorders that can cause anxiety and anxiousness instead of the other way around. I would look for another opinion...the bottom line is if you are to the point where your life is not functional you need to be treated in some manner.
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby readytocheckout on December 19th, 2013, 6:20 am

aztwitchy wrote:how many of you are taking PPI medications for your GERD? I have seen a lot of people show this as a side effect of long term use of those type of medications:

Yep, long term user about 12 years. They provided me with so much relief from the burning heartburn I thought they were great. Tried to get off them but the heartburn is awful. No doctor ever told me all those years ago that taking them long term could increase the risk of arthritis, and now I've got signs of that in my hands, knees, and neck. I kind of wish I'd never ever started them, I wish there was some way to stop them but the heartburn is like a rebound effect. I've only been twitching for just on 1 year and even that's changing at the moment to one with more symptoms of cramp and pain. Is there a PPI link - good question.
readytocheckout

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to General Topics