Just got my EMG

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Just got my EMG

Postby Anxious guy on November 14th, 2013, 1:04 pm

Hi guys,
It was short sharp shocks and sharp thin needles ....
Ok so the doctor was great actually, very reassuring and said everything was normal with my nerves and muscles and not to worry about twitching anymore as people twitch and the more you focus on it you will twitch more and cause stress !!
He asked if my tongue was twitching and he looked at it and said I can hardly even see it, don't worry!
I am so anxious I asked are those noises ok doctor and he said I will be worried if there's no noise lol
He did say I should look at ways to reduce / eliminate my health anxiety...
I feel reassured and happy that he is happy with the results !
I need to tackle my anxiety issues big time !!
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Re: Just got my EMG

Postby Wolvesbite on November 14th, 2013, 1:52 pm

If this was Facebook I'd select "like"

Happy for you, you can now enjoy your family & relax!
Wolvesbite

Postby Anxious guy on November 14th, 2013, 3:15 pm

I hadn't read much about the noises they make but mine made alot of noise and even my right calf seemed to make a lot of noise and he asked my to push my foot up and down etc but I thinking was noisy even when I was relaxed.. It kinda freaked me out a bit as that's the only time he really got me to move etc
But at the very end the most important thing he said was everything looks normal !
He did say he is passing my results to the neuro who requested the exam and that he might keep an eye on me ... That freaked me out a bit too ... But he isint going to say everything is ok if it ain't ... Geeez health anxiety and the what ifs !!!
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby bubbles on November 14th, 2013, 3:53 pm

ah i told you so! delighted for you..go have a few more glasses of wine tonight :o lol
oh and dont be worrying about doctor sayin''keep an eye on you'' i work with doctors day in day out and they all say that to their patients!!
i have neuro app next friday,it cant come quick enough!
bubbles

Postby Anxious guy on November 14th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Thanks bubbles !! It's bizzare BFS .... I mean I can sit and watch my calves twitching away and I can feel some and see some infant feel too, really active and its ok :-)
The doctor said if anything was present the emg would see it as its a very accurate testing device ! It made me feel great !
It will prob take a little time for my anxiety to go away as its been a rough lot of weeks !
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby Wolvesbite on November 14th, 2013, 4:04 pm

Orh I wish I had that feeling of relief. Very pleased for you. Was you having twitches while he did it?
Wolvesbite

Postby Anxious guy on November 14th, 2013, 4:30 pm

I think I was as there was noise even when I wasn't moving in the calves !! I see more than I can feel in my calves, there's so many I can't seem to feel them individually but I know I'm twitching as its a crawly feeling or something, kinda soft little twitches ..
I freaked out a little though as I thought it was bent to be quiet and I head the static and tapping noises !!
I don't care what I heard as long as I know it's ok and he said ok !!
I am such a health anxiety person !!
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby Wolvesbite on November 14th, 2013, 5:52 pm

Well you enjoy the feeling of being relieved and feeling free! Don't let that horrible anxiety creep up on you again :) x
Wolvesbite

Postby BFSBurger on November 14th, 2013, 7:52 pm

Anxious guy wrote:He did say I should look at ways to reduce / eliminate my health anxiety...
I need to tackle my anxiety issues big time !!

Be forgiving with yourself. Whatever this is, makes even our emotional anxiety much, much, much more fragile and prone to "going off". Much easier to get emotionally tense and turn into an anxious wreck. Whatever this is messes with that aspect of our minds. Try to forgive yourself if you don't make the strides you want. You are fighting against something that is agitating your "calm" centers. Im sure of that about BFS.

I spent a lot of time blaming myself for my symptoms. Angry with myself that I couldn't calm down. But then I realized, this all "started" like the flip of a light switch one day. And after that point I was no longer myself. Prior to that point, I had quite a bit of calm in my life. So I realized that this "thing" ... had changed me a bit ... and I forgave myself for having such a hard time calming down about things. There is a cognitive aspect to this disorder which makes it much harder for us to calm down.

So try to keep that in mind, and work on an hour by hour basis to keep the "butterflies" out of your stomach, and keep the relaxation going. The longer you manage to create a state of calm, the more resistance you will have to the instability in the future. That is a truth I have learned through all this. Your goal now should be to create a serene mental and emotional and physical world for yourself. Then start the stopwatch, and see how long you can keep it going. If you fall off the wagon and have an episode, get right back on, center yourself, and start it again. The longer you do this, the better your results will be. I had one EMG over a year ago and thats all I needed. Rest assured that you are in the clear now :) Ride outt he strange sensations, and *NEW* symptoms that will pop up. Laugh at them, let them do their thing for a week or three, and then watch them disappear. This is all part of the process of recovery. Create your serene world and give it longevity.

-BFSB-
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on November 14th, 2013, 11:38 pm

Great to see nothing bad had revealed :)

noise is an enhansed sound of smallest electrical discharges in the muscles. some muscles in the jaw and neck can make them so loud you can hear that without any device (as low humming and cracking noise when turning your head or openin jaw).

it is good that your muscles make noise - it means they are alive. I also read that some experience doctros can distinguish whether the medoly of your muscles is normal or abnormal, but in any case the fact of having muscle melody meand you are alive. Dead muscles do not make any noise.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Anxious guy on November 15th, 2013, 4:38 am

Thanks so much everyone who takes the time to reply and I hope new comers to this forum searching for answers will get something from my experience and advice you all have given over and over again on various threads !!
BFS Burger ... your right about the anxiety, I know it will take time and I know it didn't suddenly pop out of nowhere either as I had a number of slight anxiety attacks over the past 12 months or more, its something I have had but as you say it appears to get amplified by BFS.

I noticed that if I ate some types of Indian takeaway food that shortly after I would get a feeling of adrenalin rushes and feel very anxious, I put it down to the MSG and sugar etc but i have read that others get it from eating Chinese food so its seems to be apparent in others.
Sometimes I could be talking to people then all of a sudden have this strange feeling of not really being there or that its like a dream, the first time I had that was about 15 years ago and it freaked me out and lasted a while but now I can shake that pretty fast within a few minutes but I get that from time to time.
Sometimes when I am walking the ground feels funny too and I feel light headed and anxious... I get periods of slight vertigo also... The list is long !
I have had these things way before twitching and I get them every now and again but they must be down to anxiety.
If I tell people I am anxious they would say "what are you anxious about as your doing well" etc and "you have a lovely family" etc but I try to explain that`s not how it works...

I still have my body twitching and the tongue tip is still doing it too, I have tingles in my toes and arches but at least I know there`s nothing serious going on and that I can continue with enjoying life !! I am not even going to search for answers as to why my tongue is twitching and why I am twitching all over and why I can see them and not feel them and why I can see and feel them etc a twitch is a twitch and that`s it !! Its BFS !!!

The doctor said last night that he very rarely googles anything, never mind anything about health and that worrying can make you sick, he was an extremely calm and relaxed man ... So any newbies out there don`t worry as it will make you sick with stress and stress can cause loads of problems !

I hope I can stay positive and beat my anxiety and stay here to help as many other people as I can !!

Thanks again everyone that has taken time to help me through the very difficult initial period.
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby emmie.s on November 15th, 2013, 2:04 pm

This is great news, and we all knew everything would be just fine. Don't second guess your neuros, and make a concerted effort to keep on thinking positive! God bless :)
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby Anxious guy on November 15th, 2013, 2:27 pm

Thanks Emmie, I aim to do just that ! Now that clinical and emg are good I am hoping my anxiety will start going away !
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics