Magnesium

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Magnesium

Postby Lene on November 13th, 2013, 5:12 am

Ok, I am going to give it another shot: I am taking supplements of magnesium.

I tried it before I think, but now I found out that there are different kinds of supplements: like magnesium"oxide" is not well absorbed in the body. Magnesium"citrate" is better absorbed.

And also: the magnesium value in my blood was always ok. But I also recently learned that 95% of the magnesium is hidden in the cells ("intracellular") and only 5% is in the blood. So the value of magnesium in the blood appears to be very misleading: you can easily have a big deficit of magnesium while your doctors sees that the magnesium in your blood is ok.
And it is the intracellular status that is so important: the magnesium plays a great role in the ATP pomp of sodium-potassium.

I'll keep you posted.
I am taking it for a week now.

Talk to you later.

Lene
Twitching évery minute since end of 1988........
Lene
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Magnesium

Postby Wolvesbite on November 14th, 2013, 1:55 pm

That's interesting, my magnesium is normal too in my blood. I have been using magnesium oil spray (but strangely, it stings) as it's supposed to absorb in your blood better.

I've always thought labs "normal" serum values may not necessary be "your normal"
Wolvesbite

Postby TwitchyMark on November 14th, 2013, 5:46 pm

Lol, reminds me when I was off the deep end a bit back in Dec/Jan and I mixed up some epsom salts with cocoa butter lotion to rub on my legs. I was willing to do anything at that point.
TwitchyMark

Postby lrt6131 on November 15th, 2013, 7:22 am

I have been doing a lot of research on this lately because I believe my twitches are due to fluoroquinolone toxicity from Avelox. From what I read Chelated Magnesium (or Magnesium Glycinate) is the best absorbed oral tablet form. Of course, eating foods high in magnesium is probably the truly best thing to do too. :D
lrt6131

Magnesium deficiency and oxalates?

Postby TwitchyMark on November 15th, 2013, 4:36 pm

This discussion of magnesium reminds me of something... I keep looking back at my diet in the months immediately preceding my BFS outbreak. I had been exercising quite a bit more that summer and had altered my diet to include quite a lot of fresh fruits (lots of berries) and veggies as well as nuts. The common denominator of much of what I was eating was oxalates. I would buy these big bags of spinach and mixed baby spinach, bok choy and red chard and I would often just grab bunches of it raw or in salads so it wouldn't go to waste. Cooking is supposed to reduce oxalate levels. I figured if it was good for Popeye, why not me? More is better, right? I was also doing the same with berries that I would buy BOGO and find myself gorging on. Along with a couple ounces of raw almonds a day, raw broccoli, tomatoes, tons of raw carrots i would snack on etc... Oh, I forgot, I am a big coffee drinker and love all kinds of beans/legumes. Yes, high in oxalates. I figure I may have been experiencing oxalate overload which may very well have depleted my cellular levels of magnesium, calcium, zinc and potassium. But, of course, blood tests revealed my serum levels were in range because when blood levels get low, it makes up for it from what's in the cells.

Well, just thought I'd throw this out there. I know I may be an extreme case, but maybe someone else might be able to relate.

Mark
TwitchyMark

Postby 6t5frlane on November 19th, 2013, 7:41 am

I too am starting a Mag trial. My DR. wants me to take not just the Mag. but 1000 units B-12 and Lypha acorbic acid( for neuropothy ) We will se...
6t5frlane
Hero
Hero

Postby Lene on November 21st, 2013, 3:53 am

Yes, it's very complex. And a lot of reading, you have to do yourself on this. I was and am not very familiar with how cells work. :)
But at least, now I know some things on the ATP channels and the role that magnesium plays in this. And the fact that magnesium in blood can be good as opposed to intracellular.

Also, I know I have to take calcium too when I take magnesium.

We"ll see, indeed!

Bless you all.
Twitching évery minute since end of 1988........
Lene
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics