10 Common Symptoms of Gluten Intolerance

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

10 Common Symptoms of Gluten Intolerance

Postby SecretAgentMan on November 7th, 2013, 6:23 pm

This article came across my facebook feed today and I figured I would share it here on the forum because I do not believe I would have been able to overcome my BFS without addressing some newly developed food intolerance issues, among them most importantly was gluten. I don't think doctors today either recognize or stress the important role a healthy digestive system plays in our overall health. The link is below, but to save you from visiting the source here are the 10 most common symptoms. I took the liberty of highlighting everything that I had experienced due to my own gluten intolerance in bold red. Thanks for reading.

1. Digestive issues such as gas, bloating, diarrhea and even constipation. I see the constipation particularly in children after eating gluten.
2. Keratosis Pilaris, (also known as ‘chicken skin’ on the back of your arms). This tends be as a result of a fatty acid deficiency and vitamin A deficiency secondary to fat-malabsorption caused by gluten damaging the gut.
3. Fatigue, brain fog or feeling tired after eating a meal that contains gluten.
4. Diagnosis of an autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Scleroderma or Multiple sclerosis.
5. Neurologic symptoms such as dizziness or feeling of being off balance.
6. Hormone imbalances such as PMS, PCOS or unexplained infertility.
7. Migraine headaches.
8. Diagnosis of chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia. These diagnoses simply indicate your conventional doctor cannot pin point the cause of your fatigue or pain.
9. Inflammation, swelling or pain in your joints such as fingers, knees or hips.
10. Mood issues such as anxiety, depression, mood swings and ADD.

Source link: http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/11266- ... -ills.html
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Re: 10 Common Symptoms of Gluten Intolerance

Postby BFSBurger on November 7th, 2013, 10:51 pm

FDA is considering (or has already decided?) to stamp all products containing Gluten because they felt it was enough of a social health hazard at this point, that this was warranted.

-BFSB-
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on November 8th, 2013, 5:07 pm

BFSBurger wrote:FDA is considering (or has already decided?) to stamp all products containing Gluten because they felt it was enough of a social health hazard at this point, that this was warranted.

-BFSB-

The problem is that there truly is nothing wrong with gluten in and of itself, so long as you have a healthy and properly functioning digestive system and immune system. Unfortunately the increase in GMO foods, toxins in our food and water supply, and increase in use of pesticides and preservatives are leading to a sharp decline in the nutritional value of the food we eat. This in conjunction with an over-usage of anti-biotics and prescription medications translates to a weakening of the body's ability to function as intended. On a mass scale we are seeing chronic health issues increase all the while people are being treated for their symptoms and addressing the root cause issues thus making things worse. Gluten really isn't the problem here, but rather it is our diets, lifestyles, and conventional methods of treating illness and disease that are propagating and contributing to the problem. To make matters worse, there is a vast amount of misinformation out there by our trusted institutions that are supposed to monitor our quality of food and medicine that further propagate the problems. For example, TV dinners that are loaded up with GMOs, preservatives, and chemicals are actually branded 'Healthy Choice' and marketed as such. Known neuro-toxins are passed off as safe alternatives to sugar. There is so much that can be gone into here.

I really don't see it as a coincidence that when I addressed the areas of my life from all sides, from my diet to my attitude in life, that my fortunes reversed and my health decline turned into a health comeback. I used to think my diet was healthy too. I followed the conventional wisdom of our trusted watchdog institutions like the FDA only to find out the sad truth later that my digestive health was in crisis. I trusted my doctors when they wrote me prescriptions to anti-biotics. I used to think to myself 'yeah, right' anytime I heard or read a perspective talking about the power of positive thinking or mind over matter.

BFS changed all of that though because I realized that if I didn't try these things out I was doing myself a disservice. I wanted the misery to stop more than anything. My desire to get better finally overtook my pride in thinking I was right and my ignorance. I am forever grateful that I humbled myself enough to open my mind to concepts and ideas I once laughed at, because I doubt I would be where I am today had I not done so.

Thankfully BFS is an experience in my rearview mirror. I eat gluten on a regular basis again, and I have zero issues with it now. This is because I addressed the problem at it's root, my digestive health. I couldn't have done this without the help of knowledgeable alternative medicine doctors who were not tainted by the misinformation that is so prevalent in the teaching and training of conventional medical doctors, I hate to say. They knew the right dietary supplements that I needed to re-balance my digestive system and they knew the techniques to help me determine what foods were in my best interest. Finally, they knew techniques to help me overcome my intolerances once my digestive system healed.

So, long story short... Gluten isn't the problem. Having issues with it is simply a symptom of something much greater going on.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby shell67 on November 9th, 2013, 9:15 pm

Interesting. I went gluten free in February after my husband brought home the book Wheat Belly. Highly recommend it. Unfortunately, my neurological issues started shortly after I cut out gluten, so I can't say the gluten fee diet has been great for me in that regard. But it does give me more energy, and I believe it helps with a host of other issues, including joint point, so I'll keep it up. Thanks for sharing.
shell67

Postby BFSBurger on November 11th, 2013, 8:21 pm

shell67 wrote:Interesting. I went gluten free in February after my husband brought home the book Wheat Belly. Highly recommend it. Unfortunately, my neurological issues started shortly after I cut out gluten, so I can't say the gluten fee diet has been great for me in that regard. But it does give me more energy, and I believe it helps with a host of other issues, including joint point, so I'll keep it up. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, gluten is only part of the process. Its not the whole thing. Its just the biggest culprit for gut permeability issues. I will always avoid gluten for that reason. It does in fact cause this, even in healthy people, as per the research .. it just takes decades to develop into something recognizable as "disease". Whether it be autoimmune or other. There is a lot of new research on gut/neuro/immune/brain correlations. Cutting out gluten is a good first step, but its not the end all, be all to gut health.
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics