Newbie here: 11 months and counting!

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Newbie here: 11 months and counting!

Postby Eillark on November 5th, 2013, 3:38 pm

Hi, I'm new. Trying to figure out if this is where I "belong". Seems the closest match, anyway!

I have no idea if this is connected or coincidence, but I figure its worth mentioning. Around last fall I noticed (I'm sure it started in the summer, but fall is when my unobservant self *noticed*) a patch of missing hair, about silver dollar sized. Upon exploration, I discovered a few more, mostly smaller, patches. In early December, I went to a naturopath and had some blood work done. Thyroid plus a lot of other stuff I can't remember :P Between that appt and the follow up, the left corner of my lower lip started twitching. At the follow up appt, everything looked normal in my blood work, and I mentioned the twitching. She suggested magnesium. So I took lots of that, and went to the chiro (I go somewhat regularly) and no change.

Fast forward almost a year! Still twitching. There have been 2-3 times over the last year that I've gone a couple days without noticing a twitch, but then it starts right back up. The intensity comes and goes as well. Some days it will come and go throughout the day, but throughout the day probably less than half the day is spent twitching. Other times it is constant, all day long every day! Anyway, I come to the "conclusion" of BFS more as a process of elimination. No other possible explanations fit really well. But then I wonder if I even really fit the typical BFS. I only twitch in the one spot, no numbness, no headaches, no fatigue (well, aside from what would be expected of a mom with 3 young kids!) no itching, no pins & needles.

I finally got around to making a doctor's appointment. He was kinda stumped and referred me to a neuro. That appt was last week. Normal exam. And, annoyingly, I did not twitch one single time in his office! (My lip "performed" plenty for the referring doc) so I could only show a video on my phone. He ordered an MRI, which hasn't been scheduled yet. He mentioned hemifacial spasm but said he didn't think it was that since its just the one muscle and not the entire left side of my face!

I sort of wonder if eating could be a trigger? The appt was in the morning and I hadn't had breakfast yet. When I got home, I started twitching as soon as I was done eating a snack. Then I started paying attention and noticed that I don't usually twitch in the morning until after breakfast, and what I eat doesn't seem to make a difference.
Eillark

Re: Newbie here: 11 months and counting!

Postby Anxious guy on November 5th, 2013, 4:26 pm

Sorry to hear about your troubles ... Everyone on this forum are very helpful and I think you will get plenty of support here, I know I did and continue to do so.
Regarding your twitch, could it be that you hurt your lip and its triggered by certain movements ?
I think I hurt the tip of my tongue by poking at my tooth for prolonged periods and when I speak or say words ending in s it twitches, if I do nothing with my tongue it doesn't twitch at all generally which sounds kinda similar to you.
4 years ago I had the same thing with my chin that was constant and I noticed when I yawned etched it triggered the chin too... And at that time I remember I had a habit of plucking my bread hair right were my chin twitched ! So that's two cases of possible irritation !
Could irritation be a possible cause?
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby Eillark on November 5th, 2013, 4:52 pm

Anxious guy wrote:Sorry to hear about your troubles ... Everyone on this forum are very helpful and I think you will get plenty of support here, I know I did and continue to do so.
Regarding your twitch, could it be that you hurt your lip and its triggered by certain movements ?
I think I hurt the tip of my tongue by poking at my tooth for prolonged periods and when I speak or say words ending in s it twitches, if I do nothing with my tongue it doesn't twitch at all generally which sounds kinda similar to you.
4 years ago I had the same thing with my chin that was constant and I noticed when I yawned etched it triggered the chin too... And at that time I remember I had a habit of plucking my bread hair right were my chin twitched ! So that's two cases of possible irritation !
Could irritation be a possible cause?

I can't think of any injury/irritation I've had in the area. Definitely not triggered by any movements. I've definitely experimented with that! Tried to see if I could make it twitch, or make it stop twitching. No go! I remember one night it was really intense and that one itty bitty muscle was just.. tired!! And I was trying to sleep. I tried putting my mouth in different positions, massaging it, anything. It wasn't stopping. I can't think of any memorable illnesses I had right before it began either. It was December, so there's a high probability I had a minor cold around that time, simply because of the time of year. Actually, a year before it started is when I think I would have had the most potential triggers. I had a baby in Nov 2011, then a month later I got mastitis and needed antibiotics, then when that resolved the high fever, apparently, triggered the WORST cold sore outbreak of my life. It was on the right side of my upper and lower lip, the *entire* right side, this massive, disgusting mass of blisters. My twitch is on the left. Then somewhere in there, I also had a nasty stomach virus too.
Eillark

Postby Anxious guy on November 5th, 2013, 5:33 pm

Well if its just a twitch and nothing else I guess it's something to adjust too, my mum said she used to twitch on her cheek and another girl who is a friend of my wife had the same think for weeks...
A lot of people twitch on the eye lids when tired, maybe your spot is the lip?
If its been going for a long period of time I wouldn't let it bother you... Most people here have body wide twitches and some of us have the random ones accompanied by persistent twitches on one spot for days/weeks/months ..
Mine is the tongue tip & right tricep and all over at random...
Do you have health anxiety or general anxiety ? Would you have a high caffeine intake?
Last edited by Anxious guy on November 12th, 2013, 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby johnnythejet on November 12th, 2013, 1:05 am

I think you are definitely in the right place. Don't be concerned that your twitching is confined to one location, in fact you should feel lucky. Also, don't be surprised if one day it suddenly spreads bodywide. Try to stop analyzing the twitch and what makes it start/stop, etc. Benign twitches are commonly able to be induced by a variety of factors, so it is normal for things like eating, etc. to flare up your symptoms. Feel free to get the MRI and a thousand other tests and I'll bet half a years salary that you're good to go.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Lene on November 14th, 2013, 9:59 am

[quote="Eillark"]She suggested magnesium. So I took lots of that, and went to the chiro (I go somewhat regularly) and no change.

quote]

hi, not that not every kind of magnesium supplement is ok: magnesium oxide is likely to do bad to your body, but magnesium citrate is much better absorbed
Twitching évery minute since end of 1988........
Lene
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics