Dun-dun-dun...follow up EMG in 2 days

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Dun-dun-dun...follow up EMG in 2 days

Postby thedeu on October 23rd, 2013, 2:16 am

Going in for my 2nd left arm emg in 2 days as a followup. Not particularly worried about the results, however I've recently been absolutely psyching myself out with "psuedobulbar" and perceived word pronounciation issues. Of course, no one else notices it, but I'm constantly stressed by everytime I fail to get particular words out, stutter, or get tongue tied with certain letter combinations. Yes, the presence of a dull pressure or numbness is alive and well in the back of my tongue, with the constant feeling of swollen glands in my throat (although they are not swollen). Some days the feelings are there, other days they aren't. No slurring of speech, but definitely a whole lot of stopping and reseting myself to pronounce things right. No swallowing defecits, or anything else, other than mild neck fasciculations, that would genuinely constitute a bulbar onset of something really sinister...or at least I hope.

So on that note, hoping all goes well, hoping this is merely the gross mismanagement of stress, and hoping these personally perceived speech impediments fizzle away. Cheers everyone!
thedeu
Interested
Interested

Re: Dun-dun-dun...follow up EMG in 2 days

Postby johnnythejet on October 26th, 2013, 10:55 am

What? A BFS'er psyching himself out with bulbar fears and seemingly related symptoms?
Sounds like par for the course. "Enjoy" your followup EMG and please make it your last. I have no doubt your results will be as meaningful(less) as the recent pattern of symptoms. :)
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby thedeu on October 26th, 2013, 5:37 pm

LOL...no kidding right! Actually, went and saw the Neurologist. Sat in his office, ran through the gamut of new and exciting symptoms, he did a couple quick neuro strength tests, and that was a wrap. "No EMG needed" as he put it. He basically concluded that due to the fact I have no weakness, and I'm strong like bull, no need to put me through another EMG. I was somewhat hoping to have it done, just to yield some piece of mind, but everything that he said made sense and I'm happy with that. Of course the whole "if things get worse...yadda yadda yadda...come back and see me." I flat out asked him his thoughts on BFS, and he was in total agreement. So we'll follow up in 3 months, but all seems to be well.
thedeu
Interested
Interested

Postby johnnythejet on October 26th, 2013, 7:23 pm

Glad to hear the visit went well....not that there was any reason to believe otherwise. I had a visit and EMG after my BFS started. The neuro said she wanted me to come back in 6 months to "keep an eye on it". Its 8 years later and I never returned. Once we accept that this is BENIGN (BFS), then we are accepting that this stuff can never turn into anything else. Checking back in just didn't make sense.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby bubbles on October 29th, 2013, 5:05 am

ive just come across this post johnnythe jet...its great to hear you have this for 8 years!gives me some reassurance!
im having a bad today today my left arm feeling weak and twitching..panicking again over **s :(
since you are here 8 years and have alot of knowledge about bfs could you answer a question for me..
is it normal to have feeling of weakness and pain in 1 arm..my hand is also sore and fingers are stiff at times especially my thumb?thanks in advance :)
bubbles

Postby emmie.s on October 29th, 2013, 6:57 am

I can answer that one bubbles :) Yes. Very common. 4 years ago with my first BFS bout (it went away and came back in 2013) my right thigh hurt, twitched and felt weak. The neuro I saw then was totally not concerned and I was a bit more logical then so I didn't fret so much over it. In 2013 my right arm and leg felt that way, and my shoulder joint was in pain. I went to see a neuro who, upon my own urging, gave me an unnecessary EMG. 2 months later I forgot all about the right side and focused instead on the incessant twitching, pain, and percieved weakness on my left arm and the cramps on my left leg. This time the neuro really didn't want to give me an EMG but I said something about what if it's carpal tunnel so she reluctantly agreed. Of course it was again unnecessary and expensive.
So yes, completely normal. It sounds just like bfs. My suggestion is to start a bfs journal so you can see how this month it's the arm, next month the left leg, then buzzing, etc etc. That will further prove that its bfs.
Good luck!
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby thedeu on October 29th, 2013, 11:17 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words Johnny! Glad to read the genuine concern from everyone on this thread. Great feeling to know that we are not alone!
thedeu
Interested
Interested

Postby bubbles on October 30th, 2013, 8:13 am

thanks emmie...ive started that journal :)
bubbles

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics