Tongue twitches on the tip / body twitches too !

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Tongue twitches on the tip / body twitches too !

Postby Yuliasir on October 15th, 2013, 5:45 am

Anxious guy wrote:Really ? So emg might not be the right course ? I thought if it was clean I would be ok and stop worrying about my tongue twitching ! But then again I am fixating on my tongue and I am getting twitches head to toe and they are not worrying me as much... Just whilst typing I have had twitches on my eye, stomach, legs and face :-s

EMG would not harm you for sure. And for some time you may feel relief. But IT WOULD NOT STOP THE TWITCHES, even if being clean and perfectly normal. And I had seen many times that due to that people start to doubt the EMG, the doctor, the timing etc. becasue they continue to be under stress reaction abd twitch (they do not change lifestyle and cannot stop anxious mode of operation becasue it is extrememly hard to do on the own - almost like quit substance abuse, to be honest, becausr it has similar mechanisms).

Twitches are only the symptom. In your case the symptom of severe stress. Doing EMG in order to relief twitches is a bit like doing blood sugar test and hoping it would relief diabetes itself, without getting proper insulin or other treatment program.
some people think^ well, my EMG is fine but I still twitch. WHY????

Why? becasue clean EMG menas only wht it means: our twitches are mostly unrelated to serious neural damage. they are related to stress and hyperreactivity which does not involve severe neural damage. that is all.
to treat our twitches we need antistress program of individual type. Not neuro. Dietologist, psychologist, GP once a year to keep an eye on main indices, simple excersises, good 8 hours of sleep (I know it is impossible with small kids, then as much sleep as possible under slogan: "DO NOT DISTURB! am making your Mom (or Dad) up".

Please believe me. Day schedule is what matters, not neuro. Sleep. Walk. Less worry. Special medical and psychological program if you can not stop worry on yourself or are easily worriyer by nature. This is checkd abd proved by hunderd of fellows here.
No one of 'cured' BFSers was not cured by neuro. Chiropractics, dietologists, pshychologists, taling to same people, good schedule, speech therapists, CBT - whatever, but not by neuros after you were cleared by a copetent neuro once or several times.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Anxious guy on October 15th, 2013, 7:36 am

Thanks again and you do speak so much sense... I get my blood tests back today or tomorrow and maybe there will be something there that might point to the twitching..
I am trying so hard to relax about this as I don`t want to affect my family with my worries.. I pray the tongue twitching settles down soon.. I reckon I can deal with the other twitches and constant left calf twitches that seem so fast all the time... Its the tongue that`s made me worry so much..
Thanks again for talking time to talk...I really appreciate your time.
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on October 15th, 2013, 8:13 am

Maybe :)
I remember recently one of the fellows had reported a really comprehensive set of tests, from rheumatotlogy through thyroid through complement factors till some neuroinfections (quite common once but now almost extinct) in order to see if therer is a reason for twitches...

from them I personally wonder if complement factors analysis did show any difference, becasue usually we do not have too much immunological, inflammatory or biochemical or hormonal changes to point to them as source of twithches.
But complement system (primary immune response) might be at least involced in our condition. many of us however have severe B vitamine deficiency, abd one of complement factors deals with that, another one deals with angioneuroedema and urticaria (urticaria is very common in us), so probably a bit of dog lays here, as we used to say in our country ;)))

I know how hard it is... and of course I wish you soem good relief.

Hugs
Yulia
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Anxious guy on October 15th, 2013, 8:28 am

I don`t know if this can be related but I have had a bad lower back pain that comes and goes for about 4 years... I could have 6 months with no pain at all ... it was sore about a month ago and I done stretches but I think I pulled a muscle in my glute as its like a tendon pain or something ... a sharper pain rather than a dull pain ... it can ease off a little but has stayed over the past 4 weeks to varying degrees.. I thought that was a little long.. I don`t know if that`s what people call stiffness ?
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on October 15th, 2013, 9:10 am

Nope, as far as I know. I have those back pains too becasue of bloody sedentary 12-hours a day no weekends job and they really drive me crazy few days ago (never had them so sharp and persistent, and also in the gluteus...)
Stifness is rather a felling that all your muslces are like hard resin and it takes some effort to move a finger or move a back, or a neck etc.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Anxious guy on October 16th, 2013, 5:23 am

I have also been clearing my throat a lot which has started to concern me !
I would like to hear from other people with twitches on their tongues that can be felt and seen ! Pretty much the exact same spot all day aggravated my saying certain words etc !
I swallow a lot and seem to clear my throat :-s
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on October 16th, 2013, 5:47 am

It is normal for long term stress. Adrenaline initially (upon acute release) causes dry mouth due to rapid decrease of saliva production but later at chronic effect it forces hypersalivation. Throat clearing is mostly a result of throat mucous layer swelling in respond of chronic stress (I am not pretty sure if it is pure autonomic neural reaction of it is hormone mediated). Sometimes chronic stress also affects motorics of upper GIT and causes acidic reflux, so you may even experiense more or less pronounced coughing after meals or even feeling of food getting into nose.

All this has nothing with bulbar issues. GIT isuues, if any, usually can be resolved by mild antacide.

I am telling that because you are seemingly in so called 'bulbar fear' phase and make typical observation with typical conclusions which are quite far from what people really experience in case of bulbar paresis.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Anxious guy on October 16th, 2013, 6:20 am

I had read people were coughing frequently etc but haven't seen anything saying that a tongue twitch that you can see and feel is the first symptom but I still worry ....
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on October 16th, 2013, 6:55 am

I'm sorry seem to miss a bit - a first symptom of what?
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Anxious guy on October 16th, 2013, 8:19 am

Of bad neurological problems like bulbar *** etc
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on October 16th, 2013, 8:56 am

nope :))) bulbar region lesions are associated not with tongue twitches but with severe disruptions of swallowing reflex (I mean real inability to swallow, like it happens in rabies encephalitis or in certain other encephalites affecting bulbar region, therefore drooling - not because of extra salivation but becasue of inability to swallow saliva), and with sometimes simultaneous or non-simultaneous but aslo rather soon signs of throat denervation - severe change in vocalization abilities (victimes can not vocalize deliberately, change tone and pitch of the voice, voice sounds extremely uncommon and soon is lost completely etc.). Bulbar issues develop rather soon and that is why the most prominent outcome is a need for saliva pump, gastrostoma and voice generator.

Issues like tongue twitches itself without any aforementioned signs, globus, pain and tightness in the esophagus when eating or swallowing, hyper- or hyposalivation, slight and transient hoarseness, nazal voice with normal uvula position, perceived pronunciation issues are videly reported on this site, and, as you and everybody else can see, are not resulting in any paralysis, use of saliva pump, gastrostoma etc.

I know that for now you may not be able to use rational information becasue central brain hyperexcitation focus makes you to feel worried regardless to your own will and any information you can get to the contrary, but sometimes persistent drop makes a hole in the stone :) and maybe later, when nothing drastic would happen for a long enough time, you may use this as a source of reassurance.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Anxious guy on October 18th, 2013, 4:20 am

Hi again.... I think the twitch is happening less an less but still there... Defiantly triggers after I move my tongue or say certain words... Can a tongue tip twitch if you hurt it or irritated it somehow?
I'm just trying to rationalise it all... As if I don't talk it doesn't happen at all..
I really just want this to go away and for me to be back to my usual self with no worries !
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on October 18th, 2013, 5:32 am

yes for sure, if you irritate the muscle it can twitch. people here (me too) can cause twitch by yawning, sneezing, operning mouth, moving a limb, stretching and whatever else. Suppose tongue twitches can be triggered by actions which hurt it or cause unusual excertion.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby emmie.s on October 18th, 2013, 3:11 pm

Being able to induce twitches is nothing new on this forum. Neither are tongue twitches. I sympathize because I've had them before and I know they're scary, but they are no different from other twitches.
Also, just as Yuliasir pointed out, bulbar is something unmistakeable. You would have serious issues. An example is a relative of my mom's friend, who went to bed one night ok but woke up the next morning slurring words. They initially thought she had suffered a stroke, but it turned out that the poor woman had bulbar, and her symptoms progressed so rapidly it was practically overnight. She is still alive a few years later, God bless her. My point is that the progression is so rapid and the effects are so profound that it's unmistakeable.
You are worried about the rarest form of an already rare disease. If you're under 45 it's even that much rarer. I know right now that fact is hard to accept because you're looking for the worst case scenario. Time will heal you and is your friend in this case. I say if an EMG will give you peace of mind, go for it. Then, Believe the results and the neuro when it comes back clean (it will!!!) and promise yourself to move forward and accept that what you have is a benign condition.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby Anxious guy on October 19th, 2013, 1:05 am

Thanks so much to both of you taking time bto talk to me about this.. I am only 34 so I guess like you say, that's in my favour, I didn't realise it was that rapid etc... I over analyse everything, even the fact I have a pain like a pulled muscle that's came and we t over the past few weeks but I think I over stretched it...
I am a hypochondriac with serious health anxiety issues from time to time and its hard not to worry when strange things like tongue twitches happen etc.. I am a lot more calm about it since discovering others with tongue twitches etc and they also twitch all over just like me and most are anxious just like me ...
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics