Memory Trouble

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Memory Trouble

Postby Arkansan on October 6th, 2013, 3:05 pm

Anyone else here have this. Like you forget what you meant to say next, or you have trouble coming up with a word?
Twice recently I have had major problems in this area, the other day at my dad's I could not remember the names of his two cats, one he has had for a year the other a couple of months. Then today at my grandmother in laws house I asked my wife whose car was in the drive way, she said it was her uncles, I said no because his was a different color. Turns out the car I thought was his is her cousins, so I had the right car I just put it with the wrong person, but I did not hardly recognize his actual car at all. Now to be fair though everyone over there has got a new car in the past 4 months and her uncle goes through 1 or 2 cars a year.

This has me freaked out a little, anyone else have episodes like the ones I just mentioned. What really scares me is that they are only a few days apart.

I will admit that I have been super stressed here lately, and have had a lot on my mind. But now I am worried that all my symptoms may be some odd manifestation of early Alzheimer's

I know that this one is kinda silly even for me, but the thought is still there :oops:
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Memory Trouble

Postby SecretAgentMan on October 6th, 2013, 3:33 pm

This was by far the scariest symptom that I experienced when I had my bout with BFS. I started to notice that I would forget the name of common celebrities on TV, like I'd see Chuck Norris on a Bow Flex commercial and I'd be like, "Hey, that's... Uh... Shoot, who is that again? I know them from that one show..." And maybe a few minutes later I would remember. It scared the crap out of me because it got more common and I was impacted by more than just forgetting the names of celebrities. It reached its scariest point when I would wake up in the middle of the night in a night-sweat, sit up in my bed, and I had absolutely no idea who I was or where I was. I didn't even recognize my bedroom. It's as though I was in a completely new environment. I actually tried to calm myself down and tell myself what state I lived in and I couldn't even come up with that. It felt like an eternity with my heart and my mind racing, but it was probably all of 45 seconds to a minute of confusion. Suddenly it began to slowly come back. I recognized where the door to the bathroom was, where my closet was and where the door to the hall was. Then I remembered my name, my state, etc. I had to get out of bed and get a cup of tea to continue calming myself down. This whole episode of waking up in the middle of the night and not knowing who I was or where I was only happened a total of 3 times I believe, but they were the worst... I felt like I was losing my mind.

When I tried to explain it to people I called it brain fog, because that's sort of what it felt like. The brain fog seemed to completely disappear when I finally changed my diet. I believe it was one of the secondary symptoms that was caused by my developed food allergies from the leaky gut condition. After I went on the paleo diet my memory very quickly came back to my old self. I don't know if this is the case for you, but you may want to look into potential food allergies or leaky gut for yourself. I can certainly sympathize, but I haven't had this problem since 2010, and thank God for that... Good luck.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby shell67 on October 7th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Interesting you should mention memory problems, as my friend and I were just talking about this today. We were both saying how forgetful we've become lately. She and I are both going through stressful times and find ourselves doing exactly what you described. We also walk into a room and forget the reason we wanted to go there in the first place. Last week I kept losing things shortly after putting them in a particular spot -- keys, money, etc. -- I even forgot that I'd already taken the milk out the fridge and five minutes later was going back to the fridge for it! That one really scared me. But I think stress plays a role. My sister in law has had a lot of memory issues recently and she attributes it to depression and stress. Her sister died of cancer a few months ago and it's been very hard for her. She's had every test possible and no sign of dementia or Alzheimer's.

You're not alone. Hopefully, you'll get better in time. Remember, BFS causes a lot of stress -- just one more reason to do what we can to relieve it!
shell67

Postby johnnythejet on October 8th, 2013, 12:06 pm

After onset of my symptoms I nearly went crazy. If I would have listed every strange symptom I experienced or felt, I'm sure I would have rivaled chrissi, dare I say. Related to your post, I definitely remember not remembering lol. Along with memory issues, I also recall feeling intense disorientation in several instances almost like I was having a stroke, or messing up easy sentences for no reason, etc. Lots of stuff in that arena.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on October 9th, 2013, 12:36 am

Arkansan wrote:Anyone else here have this. Like you forget what you meant to say next, or you have trouble coming up with a word?

Yes, at its worst, this was what it was like for me. I couldn't speak. I couldn't form words. Trying to order a subway sandwich was an embarrassing event. I even began to drop things I would pick up. It was scary as hell. I guess they call it brain fog, but it was "cognitive impairment". What is it exactly? This is a result of inflammation in the brain. Just like most of our other symptoms are the result of inflammation of various parts of the body. Try to focus on reducing inflammation with dietary changes, mild exercise, anti-inflammatory supplements, stress reducing lifestyle changes, and extreme focus on mental calm for prolonged periods of time (months). For whatever reason, our systems were put on hyperdrive from brain to feet. Sometimes at the flip of a switch. You can either aggravate or work to calm the process. Do your best to focus on the latter.

-BFSB-
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics