Pain and twitching in muscle after use

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Pain and twitching in muscle after use

Postby Steph on October 2nd, 2013, 2:35 pm

Does anyone else have muscle pain followed by twitching after exercise? For example, last Thursday I did more abdominal exercises than usual and my muscles became sore. 48 hours later the twitching set in. I can almost evoke twitching by exercise. Push-ups= twitches in biceps/triceps/delts. Running= quad/hamstring/calf twitches. The muscles that are the sorest are the ones that twitch the most. The twitching usually starts in 24-48 hours after the exercise. Thanks to my constant and compulsive need to prove my strength, I have overdone push-ups, tricep dips and running so far this past week. My right quad, left hamstring, and right shoulder are all sore and I am twitching like crazy in these areas (along with my ever-twitching arches). My abs have let up, but I would wager a guess another strenuous round of planking would set them off again. Do any of you also have twitches that seem to be a part of delayed onset muscle soreness? I have read that twitching after exercise is common. But, most of what I read suggests it is immediately following exercise or within the next few hours. Not, 24-48 hours later.
Steph

Re: Pain and twitching in muscle after use

Postby marvan on October 2nd, 2013, 2:55 pm

I almost always get twitching in my hamstrings just above the knee after any kind of running. I think that twitching after excercise is very common for everyone, even non-BFS'ers.
marvan

Postby Aviationrocks1 on October 2nd, 2013, 2:58 pm

Yes, I would say this is well within the norm. I work out on almost a daily basis and I always have twitching as a result. I do not think the time between working out and the onset really matters. Mine typically start a little sooner afterwards but I have for sure had times where I would do a good back workout and 2-3 days afterwards my deltoid would start going crazy. I do have the pains you describe as well. Especially in my legs and even my forearms/ triceps at times. This is the new norm for you. Nothing to worry about in my opinion.

Cheers,

Michael
Aviationrocks1

Postby G-Dog on October 9th, 2013, 8:51 am

Steph wrote: last Thursday I did more abdominal exercises than usual and my muscles became sore.

I would say that's pretty normal :)

I can also evoke certain twitches in the gym, for example situps for some bizarre reason cause little flutters at the bottom of my calf. When I bench press I sometimes get a slight ripple in my eyelid. I don't think it's that unusual even in the general population. Exercise however has been a huge positive for me and I would encourage you all to do as much as you can. I've had varying degrees of BFS for over 3 years now and exercise (done right) is what has given me the biggest lift. I've reduced my body fat to just under 13% and I'm much stronger and fitter than I was in my 20s (I'm now 33). High Intensity Training for 30 mins, 5 times a week is my current regime...as I became fitter the twitching becomes less and less, but id did increase for a short while first, this is where I think a lot of people back off.
G-Dog

Postby Tasnim on October 14th, 2013, 11:47 am

Some days I can barely exercise at all because my legs hurt and cramp almost immediately. Other days I can exercise but get almost painful muscle fatigue and twitching after. This is after light exercise, such as low impact aerobics for 10 minutes, or a walk.
Tasnim
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics