Questions about meditation and more PD fears.

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Questions about meditation and more PD fears.

Postby Arkansan on September 26th, 2013, 10:03 pm

So I have started meditating and have discovered that it really is sort of a learned skill. I am starting to get better at it so to speak and am finding that for about an hour after wards I feel really calm. So on that front it is a total win. However several times when I start to really get into a groove I notice that my eyelids start to feel like the muscles are fluttering and sometimes I will have a random limb, typically an arm kinda pop off some movements real quick. The other night my left arm jumped back and forth very quickly when this happened. Anybody else have similar issues when they have tried meditation? If it matters I have started to have little dreams when I meditate.

Now onto the other. I am still kinda freaking out about PD, My fingers still tremor when the hand is first opened and then it settles down but the fingers make little moves up and down or back and forth. When I hold my hand open and raise my forearm out I can see the whole fore arm move back and forth some kind of erratically.

I have also notice that sometimes my thumbs will kinda jerk around or tremor about some when I relax them as they sort of slide into a resting position.

Also if I rest my arm on the table turned over on its side so that the pinky is down I can see my hand tremor finely. Also sometimes when sitting I feel like my knees will tremor back and forth, but on that one I am not really sure.

I am terrified that I have a resting tremor, how would I know if I had one, I mean what would I be looking for? When I rest my arm palms down on the table there is no noticeable movement.

I need some reassurance and advice I am kind having a minor freak out tonight guys and gals.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Questions about meditation and more PD fears.

Postby SecretAgentMan on September 27th, 2013, 10:18 am

Arkansan wrote:So I have started meditating and have discovered that it really is sort of a learned skill. I am starting to get better at it so to speak and am finding that for about an hour after wards I feel really calm. So on that front it is a total win. However several times when I start to really get into a groove I notice that my eyelids start to feel like the muscles are fluttering and sometimes I will have a random limb, typically an arm kinda pop off some movements real quick. The other night my left arm jumped back and forth very quickly when this happened. Anybody else have similar issues when they have tried meditation? If it matters I have started to have little dreams when I meditate.

I am very happy to hear that you are starting to gleam the benefits of meditation. You are correct that it is indeed a learned skill. What happens in meditation is that your brainwaves slow from the very busy, normal waking state in the 'beta' range to a much slower and relaxed 'alpha' range. Practiced meditation eventually gets you to the ultra-relaxed 'theta' range, which is even slower than 'alpha' but still faster than 'delta' where you go fully unconscious/sleep/dream. When the brainwaves slow down your thoughts slow down and you can almost view the habitual thinking patterns you have from a larger perspective (sort of like from the outside looking in?). Different centers of the brain activate, which have been scientifically shown to relieve anxiety and stress. The physical body relaxes more and more and sometimes even goes into a state of 'sleep paralysis' where your conscious attention is nearly 100% inwardly focused.

While meditation puts you into a relaxed state (mentally and physically) your physical body is still chugging along doing its thing. Your heart is still beating, nerves still conducting/sensing, and lungs are still exchanging oxygen. Everything just slows down and relaxes, almost like you are going asleep. The only difference is that your conscious mind is not asleep but almost completely inwardly focused. So, this means that if something does happen to alert your attention like a phone rings, somebody slams a door, a cat jumps on your lap, then your physical body will react to it and you will be aware of it. This also means that the symptoms of BFS can distract you, like a twitch, spasm, or a jerk, etc. Continued meditation will eventually allow you to let go of these things and not let them bother you as much, but you have to consciously focus on letting them go. Does that make any sense? Does that even help?

The little mini dreams you speak of are pretty cool. I believe that is a sign that you are entering the theta range. You may notice that you develop a stronger connection to your intuition from continued practiced meditation. I greatly enjoy my meditation experiences and wish I had started practicing it sooner. Unfortunately my only exposure to the concept early in life was from episodes of Star Trek and they didn’t exactly entice me to try it. BFS was what cornered me into that but it was worth it.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on September 27th, 2013, 10:30 am

Also regarding the PD fears... I'd suggest you start meditating with the intent to focus on and face your fears, especially regarding PD. Our fears are there for a reason. They make us aware of a perceived threat. Our 'fight or flight' animal instincts will often use these fears to protect ourselves. If it's a wild animal we can defend ourselves, run away, or hide. Unfortunately when it comes to other more complicated matters it is not so easy to manage our fears. The way that it is supposed to work is that you become aware of a threat, you evaluate it, decide to act on it or acknowledge it, and then move on. We tend to hang on to our fears and carry them with us. They burden us, weigh us down, limit us, and in some cases cripple our potential. This is not healthy, and many people realize this, but they don't really know how to let their fears go. They just keep popping up in their minds like a bad penny keeps turning up.

Meditation allows you to go into a deeply contemplative state. When you confront a fear and give it an open forum to give you the message that it is trying to deliver, you can let the fear run its course without cutting it off, shunning or suppressing it. When it is done you can acknowledge it, thank it for serving its purpose and delivering its message, and then release it. There are visualization techniques where you imagine letting it go like you let go of a helium balloon. The sky is the limit, however you want to visualize is up to you. Feel the burden being lifted off your shoulders. Repeat this exercise as often as necessary and focus on each individual fear that pops up. It may take a few times on each fear but eventually your subconscious gets the message that you've heard the fear loud and clear and you are moving on. Just try it and surprise yourself. It is amazing the power of the mind. Some of these tools seem so simple that we can't fathom how they would possibly work, yet they do. We tend to try to make things more complicated than they are. Sometimes the most powerful truths are the most simple ones though. I hope this helps.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby RGB on September 27th, 2013, 11:14 am

Arkansan wrote: However several times when I start to really get into a groove I notice that my eyelids start to feel like the muscles are fluttering and sometimes I will have a random limb, typically an arm kinda pop off some movements real quick. The other night my left arm jumped back and forth very quickly when this happened. Anybody else have similar issues when they have tried meditation? If it matters I have started to have little dreams when I meditate.

Meditation really does work so it is great that you are giving it a go.

All I would say is that lots of observations like the above will come up while sitting, but the technique is the same as for all thoughts. Don't chase them away but don't get involved in them either. If you have dreams, you have dreams, If your eyelids flutter, your eyelids flutter. Just be aware of it but don't start thinking about it and always return to your breath (or whatever it is in your chosen method).

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arkansan on September 27th, 2013, 12:50 pm

Thanks for the input guys, I really feel like the meditation is worth while so far. Anyone have any thoughts on the other stuff I posted about? I am doing better today but I still am worried about pd. I know this is a stupid question, but how would I know if I had a resting tremor? Are they something specific, or what?

The whole forearm moving when it is held out is the one that really scares me at the moment.

Oh and does anyone else feel like they have trouble writing? It just sorta feels awkward and sometimes my lines get little zigs or zags in them. I don't really know how to describe the feeling. Anyone else dealt with this one?
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SecretAgentMan on September 28th, 2013, 8:38 am

Arkansan wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on the other stuff I posted about?

Arkansan, I'm not trying to belittle your concerns but all the other stuff you mentioned regarding PD, resting tremors, and even writing troubles are all fears that you would be best to focus on in your meditations to overcome on your own. I realize you are very new to this, but trust me, you are coming along just fine. You always find something to worry about if you look hard enough. Sometimes something grabs your attention and its not that hard to look at all, but the nature of the beast is the same. Worrying about it constantly will do you no good.

The trick in overcoming fears is not to beat your subconscious into submission or to suppress or bury them. The trick is in getting to the point where you realize that no matter what happens you will be able to handle it and there is really nothing to fear after all. Fear is a resistance to moving forward. Resistance in moving forward makes moving forward painful. When you realize that moving forward is inevitable and let go of the resistance you find that the ride is much more pleasant. The very fact that you are not resisting moving forward helps foster and create an environment where that which you fear is much less likely to manifest. After all, fear, stress, and worry have been shown to foster and create disease and illness. Being relaxed, at ease, and happy or even joyful has an opposite effect. This does not mean its all sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows if you force a smile all day every day. You cannot control everything and that is not the point. The point is that even when challenges do come up, you are far better equipped to deal with and handle them when you are going with the flow rather than fighting the current. It's almost common sense when you think about it this way.

Does any of this make sense? I hope it does. Feel free to ask any questions or even PM if you like. This is a gradual process so don't beat yourself up. You're already starting to turn things around. Keep it up and hang in there!
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby tiffskuirl on November 12th, 2013, 3:08 pm

What sorts of meditation do you folks practice? I am interested but don't know the first thing about any of it. How does one start?
tiffskuirl

Postby SecretAgentMan on November 12th, 2013, 5:38 pm

My first trials with meditation consisted of me downloading some free mp3s and following along for 10 to 15 minutes when I knew I would not be disturbed. Soon after I started I found a local meditation group through the website meetup.com and started going there to get pointers from more seasoned veterans. I still go to the meetup group every 2 weeks because I feel like I get an extra boost from participating in group meditations, not to mention I made quite a few good friends there. I'd recommend finding a meetup group for anyone who is interested in pursuing a positive lifestyle change like meditation. It is much easier to keep up a new habit when you are in a group that meets regularly, not to mention all the good advice and pointers you get this way as well. I may not have stuck with it otherwise. The long-term benefits have been amazing. Hope this helps.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby lrt6131 on November 12th, 2013, 5:41 pm

S.A.M., Always love your advice. I hope to find the calmness you have someday.....
lrt6131

Postby SecretAgentMan on November 12th, 2013, 7:12 pm

lrt6131 wrote:S.A.M., Always love your advice. I hope to find the calmness you have someday.....

Please realize that calmness is already yours. It is our thoughts and actions that make us either calm or not calm. Once you realize this you can observe what thoughts and actions take you away from where you want to be and change them. Meditation can greatly assist you in doing this. At first you may not feel like you know what you are doing, or you may feel a bit lost. With continued practice comes experience and understanding. Thank you for the kind words.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics