Frustrations with the neurologist

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Frustrations with the neurologist

Postby Jlc on September 17th, 2013, 5:13 pm

So, anyone who has read any of my posts knows what my fear is. I'm not going to mention it again.

I have written before that my current neurologist thinks this is all somatization. She did tell me that any time I had new or worsening symptoms, I can fax her my concerns. My tremors and stiffness have been getting worse lately, so I sent the neurologist my concerns. She didn't answer me and my next appointment isn't until November 25.

So,now I'm stuck with tremors all over my body (including Jaw, lips, legs, arms, hands, and internally) with pretty much no medical help. I do see my neuro psychiatrist October 2, but he isn't the one who can help my fear of the tremors.

Just had to vent.
Jlc

Re: Frustrations with the neurologist

Postby SecretAgentMan on September 17th, 2013, 6:31 pm

The western medical system and patient relationship sometimes reminds me of battered spouse syndrome. The doctors hardly ever give satisfactory answers to people's questions, especially regarding chronic health issues. The answer is to just throw some drugs at it to cover up the symptoms. With the complete lack of customer service you'd expect people to seek answers elsewhere in droves, but they don't. They just keep coming back for more. Fear is a powerful emotion though. Self empowerment and self confidence is stronger though, when you have the courage. If a relationship is no longer serving you, personal or professional, work it out or end it. When it became obvious to me that my GP and neurologist did not know what I had nor how to effectively help me overcome it I simply left them and never went back. I refused to believe that this condition was something that I was going to have to suck it up and live with for the rest of my life, and I was right. I don't know if what worked for me will work for everyone, but what I do know is that if people don't have the courage to seek a better way they will simply maintain their current situation.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby aztwitchy on September 17th, 2013, 6:58 pm

Jlc wrote:So, anyone who has read any of my posts knows what my fear is. I'm not going to mention it again.

I have written before that my current neurologist thinks this is all somatization. She did tell me that any time I had new or worsening symptoms, I can fax her my concerns. My tremors and stiffness have been getting worse lately, so I sent the neurologist my concerns. She didn't answer me and my next appointment isn't until November 25.

So,now I'm stuck with tremors all over my body (including Jaw, lips, legs, arms, hands, and internally) with pretty much no medical help. I do see my neuro psychiatrist October 2, but he isn't the one who can help my fear of the tremors.

Just had to vent.

sorry to hear but honestly its pretty par for the course. Most doctors, especially, neurologists don't have the time to spend on individual patients. Sometimes they do but most time they concentrate on volume and don't invest much further than necessary. Especially when they suspect its all psychosomatic.

Have you tried making any other changes to your habits? do you drink caffeine? eat stimulants?

I have found that the following are guaranteed ways to create tremors:
- caffeine
- gluten
- nuts (almonds, peanuts, walnuts, cashews, pistachios, etc)

may not work for you but always worth a try.
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics