Muscle racheting and another question about twitches

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Muscle racheting and another question about twitches

Postby Arkansan on September 14th, 2013, 2:36 pm

I know quite a few of us here have dealt with this, I was wondering of those of you have had this when did it occur? Like for instance I feel it now when ever my shoulders move, if I raise up on the balls of my feet, my wrists do it, heck even my neck is doing it when I move back and forth now. Anyone else had it this widespread?

It seems like when I move quickly it is much less noticeable, but if anything moves slowly it is shows up pretty much like clockwork. The one that bothers me is when I am sitting if I raise my foot up on the toes I can actually feel like stops in the movement and see them some. I just wanted a bit of reassurance on this one as it is one of the scary symptoms to be, not to mention that I am afraid of people noticing it.

The other question I have is do any of you go through periods where twitches aren't your dominant symptom? Like I still have some everyday, but they aren't as constant as they once were, I also wonder if maybe now that I am not afraid of them I don't notice them the way I used to?

I am getting better but I am still somewhat afraid of pd, I still worry that because the first symptom I remember with bfs was a whole arm postural tremor when I was holding a plate washing dishes, a rather severe one mind you, that maybe I have been looking at the wrong disease the whole time. Of course now that I think about it I remember twice in the weeks before that noticing a muscle twitches that were more consistent and pronounced than before. Anyone else not have twitching as the first noticeable bfs symptom?
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Muscle racheting and another question about twitches

Postby emmie.s on September 14th, 2013, 3:38 pm

I don't have widespread ratcheting, but I do have it in my upper arms as you describe, meaning its noticeable only when moving slowly a certain way. I see the muscle underneath kind of shaking, or making tiny little jumps when I bend it a certain way. Is that what you mean?
When this first happened I freaked out, so I asked my husband and my mother to mimic my movements. It was a relief to see that they both have it too, in varying degrees. They have just never noticed it before because unlike most BFSers, they don't care.
I am going through a period of decreased twitching too. However I think it's due in large part to cutting gluten out of my diet. I no longer get hotspots (knock on wood). I only get the random little flutters that only last a second. Hopefully it stays this way.
I have thumb tremors when I swipe iPhone, my thumb will sometimes move back and forth really quick, but my neuro says that's very common too, likely due to overuse.
Hope this helps...you're not alone. I know when I did a search here on ratcheting I was surprised how many people here have it.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby Jlc on September 15th, 2013, 6:12 pm

Yea, my friend. My ratcheting us that widespread and I am tremoring everywhere.

Fun times. I took a video of my fingers and am sending it to my neurologist tomorrow.

When you see a neurologist, they don't seem to care about ratcheting, but they check for cogwheeling.

The twitches in my calves have been non stop since March but I don't care about them. The tremors are what has always bothered me most. I have woken up to whole body Shaking the last 2 mornings. That is scary, but really, I don't know what to do about it. I've read about this symptom many times in archives but it's different when it's happening to you. By the way, my fingers look like Chrissi's now. All of them shake.
Jlc

Postby emmie.s on September 15th, 2013, 8:15 pm

What is the difference between cogwheeling and ratcheting? Is it similar, but cogwheeling is more pronounced?
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby Jlc on September 15th, 2013, 10:21 pm

Hi, from what I understand, ratcheting is seen as small incremental movements of your muscles when in use. Cogwheeling is resistance to passive movement that can only be demonstrated when someone else (a neurologist) tries to move the affected limb/muscle.
Jlc

Postby Arkansan on September 16th, 2013, 2:32 am

Jlc hit the nail on the head as far as I know about racheting vs cogwheeling. My understanding is that with cogwheeling if someone tried to move your arm for you it would resist while sometimes stoping and the breaking forward only to stop again. Of course I am no doctor. The more we talk Jlc the more similar our cases sound. With bfs sometimes I wonder if we are actually dealin with subsets of a particular condition. There seems to be broad catagories of bfsers thay share common features.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jlc on September 16th, 2013, 5:27 pm

Yes, I agree, we have very similar symptoms and I also agree there seem to be subsets.

There are a few people on this site that have pretty much shared our exact symptoms but they have all seemed to have disappeared: mark Gerard, dawiz, jittery (who I spoke to), Jennhaz, speg, jorge. I would love to hear from these people but they seem to have vanished.
Jlc

Postby SuziQ on September 28th, 2013, 7:08 pm

Jlc wrote:Yes, I agree, we have very similar symptoms and I also agree there seem to be subsets.

There are a few people on this site that have pretty much shared our exact symptoms but they have all seemed to have disappeared: mark Gerard, dawiz, jittery (who I spoke to), Jennhaz, speg, jorge. I would love to hear from these people but they seem to have vanished.

I'm here! :)
I had BIG time ratcheting and tremoring. These symptoms were much more bothersome to me, than my fascics were.

Now I have no symptoms at all. You'll get there, too. It takes time, and a lot of discipline over your anxious mind, if that is a factor.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,
Sue
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby Arkansan on September 28th, 2013, 10:31 pm

Thanks for your input, it is nice to hear from others who have made it through so to speak. Also I love the quote in your signature it had me laughing out loud!
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SuziQ on September 29th, 2013, 10:18 am

Arkansan wrote:Thanks for your input, it is nice to hear from others who have made it through so to speak. Also I love the quote in your signature it had me laughing out loud!

Ha Ha. Isn't it hilarious? It's amazing how relevant it still is, ( really, really relevant), across the sands of time.

Blessings,
Sue
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby TyWebb on September 30th, 2013, 9:42 pm

It gets better. I hated the ratcheting and tremors the most. I still get it on occasion, but it is better without a doubt.

I think the tincture of time is the cure.

I have tried the Mag, Calcium, etc...maybe it helps, but I think it is really just time.
TyWebb

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics