extra systole

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

extra systole

Postby lcanela on September 6th, 2013, 3:53 am

Hi, I would like to start saying that my BFS is really under control, for me it is mostly caused by anxiety or stress. I don’t think that is the only reason, probably our body reacts differently to some stimulus than other people and this is why we have it. I just don’t care anymore… I would suggest you all to do the same in order to improve.

That said, I was under stress at work, too much work + I came to know I will be a father ( I was not expecting it ) and I think that caused me a different symptom: “ extra systole”.

I started to be more aware of my heart beat and I was feeling it a lot, and could realize how it stopped and started again with more strength causing in my chest like a suction (like a vacuum) and then back to normal again… I must say I have felt that my whole life, but, once a month, or maybe a week I am not even sure, as for me that was never important, I used to think it was because of adrenaline coming out for some reason, or, “ whatever”, I don’t even know what my thoughts about that were, but, just to continue my story, I asked my wife to hear my heart, as I know I am always aware of many things in my body and I could be overreacting to something normal or maybe inexistent, so, she started listening, and for my surprise she told me “ I feel your heart beat abnormal “ so I thought, ok it is not me, this is for real, so I decide3d o go to the doctor, I had all the tests, electrocardiogram blood tests, etc… I was there about 2 hours, while the cardiologist arrived to check all the results and I remember I was aware of this irregular beats in my heart and I was able to see them in the screen as a really different shape in the (electrocardiogram ) and I said o myself “ that’s it, I am screwed “ …

But it seems I am like a cat, 7 lives or whatever, they came to me after 2 hours waiting and said: “ This is normal, you are fine, and you can live with it until you are 120 years old, so go home take a beer and continue with your life”

They explained to me it was called extra systole and there might be many reasons for that but the cause was uncertain, still medicine does not know for sure why it happens then I thought ,” how similar to BFS this is…” they just told me that it might be triggered by too much coffee, or stimulates, or “Anxiety” one more time. So it seems to me, that as I don’t c are anymore about BFS, my body is looking for another ways to express himself?! I have to tell it is very creative. The heart? Come on!, so, anxiety can do many things to us.

I think I have read somewhere that BFS is not manifested in muscles others than external ones, but I read something about extra systole and I remember reading phrases like “ Potassium channel dysfunction, stress, anxiety, not known cure, not known cause, not harmful , etc. and it is basically a heart contraction triggered by a different source as the normal one ( Sorry if I am not too technical, I am just lazy to look for the articles I have read ) so for me, it has to be the same BFS but just acting on my heart.

Anyway I am over it again as the doctors told me not to worry about it, and told me that in case it was too disturbing they could offer me a beta-blocker to control the symptoms.

I will take a long holiday soon, and I expect it to be gone! If not I will think about it, but I really don’t like taking medication, what I need is to control my stress I think we just don’t know how it feels not be stressed as we are so used to it… but we need to stop it.

That said I am happy again, I eat everything I want, I do whatever I want, and I will continue like that… you want to twitch (talking to my body), do it, I just don’t care, life is short, so I will focus on living instead of focusing in what will kill me.

Regards!
lcanela

Re: extra systole

Postby Yuliasir on September 6th, 2013, 3:57 am

good to see you so positive!

I have those bloody extrsysteoles for all my life since I was a teenager. They really are strange feeling...
it is really not harmful and is not an actual arrythmia (considered as a physiologically normal one)

I have read also that people with that type of heart sybdrome in fact have less chances for CHF :)))
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby lcanela on September 6th, 2013, 4:36 am

hi Yuliasir, thanks for your reply.

So you have that as well?

I wonder how likely it is that there is a co-relation between this and BFS ? it is an invluntary contraction of a muscle after all!

Anyone else has it?
lcanela

Postby Yuliasir on September 6th, 2013, 5:19 am

as far as I know, it is a sign of autonomous disregualtion rahter than invloluntary contraction of sceleton muscles. It is common for anxious people and for hypermobile people who often are anxious by description :)))

In my family my mom has them too.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby lcanela on September 6th, 2013, 6:45 am

So, one more proove... Anxiety.
lcanela

Postby surferguy on October 11th, 2013, 8:33 pm

Very interesting observation regarding extra systoles and the possible correlation with bfs.

I think it is true to say that almost all of the general population gets extra systoles, ectopics, whatever you like to call them. The issue is that most people don't even know that they are having them, but I certainly do. Normally it feels like I am having a 2-3 second shortness of breath episode and I pause for a moment thinking my heart is about to stop, but of course it never does. I have had them as long as I can remember and some days they are more frequent than others, but I can't say whether anything makes them worse or not. They bear no relationship to the level or frequency of my fasciculations. Ectopics are usually only pathological when there are many occurring per minute as this can compromise circulation and blood pressure, but a few per minute rarely cause any problems physiologically.

I do know that caffeine intake can make them much worse in some people, as does caffeine in bfs, but personally I don't think it makes any difference to me. It does make sense though that any stimulant can cause over-excitement of muscles and this presumably includes cardiac muscle as well as skeletal.
surferguy
Interested
Interested

Postby Steph on October 14th, 2013, 9:36 pm

I have this too, along with my father. I hadn't even thought about it in years (mine was found in high school during a physical). But, along with my BFS, as of late I seem to have a more prominant pulse that has made me notice it more. It is interesting that there does seem to be comorbidity among many of these "benign" oddities.
Steph

Postby tiffskuirl on October 23rd, 2013, 12:50 pm

I get these too! I have been clinically diagnosed with benign PVC's. THey drove me nuts!! I was convinced I was one beat away from v-fib. I have a GREAT cardiologist who put my fears to rest. I noticed if I take mag chloride when they come up it helps. I also notice if I get dehydrated they rear up. It is interesting to see that many people with arrythmia also have BFS. That gives me a little more hope as I start this journey to figure out what my twitches are!! Good luck and much like they say on here with the twitching if you pay it no mind it tends to subside so try not to think about the extra beats (trust me..I know how hard that is!!!!!)
tiffskuirl

Postby lcanela on October 24th, 2013, 3:15 am

Hi All, I am back to normality in terms of extra systole My heart is working as a clock again :)

I write again because I noticed that it happened to me 2 times ( this extra systole peak) both happened of course under stress ( I will have a baby soon) but, there is something else that I think was the trigger...

I bought 3 bottles of one of the strongest probiotics I found on the market and:

when I started the first bottle I had what is called "die-off", I felt realy bad for a couple of days and then I was perfect again.

The second bottle, nothing happened...

But when I started the third one... after 2 pills I had this extra systole... so I stopped taking any supplements and went to the doctor... it subsidized in about one week, and then after 2 weeks I started again, and got it again but this time stronger..... both times it took about one week to go away.

Now I am not sure I should start taking the probiotics again... maybe it was just bad luck?
i was reading the post "BFS Cured by treating Intestinal Inflammation / Infection " and maybe this new bacteria in my gut did something to trigger it? who knows... i it possible that these bottles even when are the same brand, have different bacteria per every different batch? I guess it is very difficult for them to ensure always the exact same amount of bacteria, or maybe there is also any bad bacteria in there by mistake? who knows... just sharing my ideas... let me know your thoughts.

be happy every one. probiotics will help you with BFS at least it helped me a lot! I really thinkBFS hapens because of an inflammation in the guts, as in every BFS peak I had also problems in my colon, hemorrhoids or whatever similar...

Regards
lcanela

Postby florian_ on October 25th, 2013, 7:58 pm

Yes i have it and you have to know, that everybody habe it, but most people didnt feel it. The relation to BFS is, that aniexty makes very nervos and "thin-skinny" so you feel a Lot of more and aniexty and as you wrote by yourself, stress...can trigger extra-systoles. Dont worry about it after an EKG.

No reason for betablocker.

I know they can shock especialy when they come in series sometimes.

Best wishes, florian
10 year-journey with BFS. Maybe it answers some of your questions and ease you mind ;-)

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=Florian&start=90
florian_

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics