Medication

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Medication

Postby Jlc on August 26th, 2013, 4:30 pm

Hello all,

For anyone who has read my previous posts, I have a fear of pd. So much so that my mind has pretty much been shattered over the past 4 months or so.

Now, generally I am anti medication, but I accepted taking an anti-depressant because I really wanted to feel better. I feel that it's helped, but I met with my psychiatrist, who did a sub specialty in neurology, last week and he recommended that I start taking a low dose of medication to control my obssessive thoughts. Now, this medication is known to cause parkinsonism and, if you do have it, make it worse. Needless to say I am skeptical about this medication and am not taking the full recommended dose. My family found out and think I am being ridiculous.

The psychiatrist agreed to see me on Friday to review my symptoms and make sure the medication is working and not harming me.

What do you guys think about this? Am I crazy?
Jlc

Re: Medication

Postby mwagner on August 26th, 2013, 4:45 pm

No you're not crazy!!! What is this medication?

Geez, if it has a 1/1000 chance of causing Parkinson's, I wouldn't touch it. There are other medications out there, and other alternatives.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby Jlc on August 26th, 2013, 5:24 pm

Hi Mitra,

It can cause reversible parkinsonism. I think it's called resperidol. I am pretty much in a position now where I have to make certain decisions to please my family. Taking this drug was one of them. I have made my family's life miserable for many months. They just want me better but I'm having a really hard time accepting some things and am trying to make them happy whenever I can.
Jlc

Postby aztwitchy on August 26th, 2013, 5:30 pm

there are plenty of other options for treatment...don't let anyone fool you that you NEED medication. On top of that there is always other medications...if you are uncomfortable taking that one you need to work with your doctor to choose another. there is a good site out there called crazy meds i recommend reading up on the medications to be knowledgable about what you are putting into your body. these medications are not to be taken lightly in my humble opinion. they alter brain chemistry and that is not something to take lightly.

on a side note you do not have parkinsons....your symptoms don't match up. you honestly need to move on from that unsubstantiated fear.

hope you are well.
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby Jlc on August 26th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Hi aztwitchy,

He said I could go on that one (which he recommended) or one that is like a booster for my Pristiq. I think I will ask to switch to the booster.

I'm not well at all, but I do always very much appreciate your responses.

James
Jlc

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics