Scary symptom, please give it a look.

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Scary symptom, please give it a look.

Postby Arkansan on August 17th, 2013, 9:44 pm

Ok we all know that my newest fear is PD. This symptom just started a few mins ago and has me freaked right on out. I was standing in the kitchen with my laptop open in my left hand and showing some pics on face book. After I sat back down I noticed that if I raised my arm at the elbow, which I often do the arm tremors fiercely from hand to elbow, at rest however it is fine. My wife says it could be muscle fatigue as my laptop is a hefty 17 inch, but really? I took a few short vids please watch and tell me if you have done this before.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d9yGf5oZjCg

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pKeAWRqYhHI

Oh, the videos don't really do it justice as the muscle movements in the forearm were visible to the naked eye and were much faster.

Only the second really captures how bad it is. It seems to be getting some better already. I am just frightened because it is my left wich is more symptomatic in general. My left also has this sort of tremor thing where it seems like the whole forearm moves back up and down slightly when held out, or holding an object, and that is on top of the normal fine tremors in my hand and fingers. My right has the fine tremors in the hands and fingers, but does not have the whole forearm type movement, or at least nowhere near the same extent.

I also have noticed that my hands will tremor some when reaching for an object, the slower it is the more noticeable. Should I even still be worried about PD guys? I haven't been to a neuro but both a well respected internist and my GP have done basic office neuro exams on me and neither were worried about anything they found, but those were 8 and 6 months ago respectively. Would they have noticed something, or could it have developed since then, even though I had the hand tremors at the time of the visits.

My GP scared me as he said the tremor my fingers do when I make a fist and the release it is an intention tremor, even though I have seen some sites say that what I described is not an intention tremor.

To be honest the first thing that set all this off was the same sort of thing In the videos except it was even further up the left arm and I was doing dishes at the time, that was a year ago. I had also gone through extreme stress at the time. Similar to today in that, I have been working physically hard in the last 3 days for the first time in a long while, I have been in a noisy chaotic environment for 24 hours and I just found out my uncle may have a brain tumor.

Surely someone here has had this same symptom before? Could it just be BFS exaggerating muscle fatigue? Tell me this isn't a PD symptom and I am just being out there.

P.S. I am also afraid that my left arm has a slight tremor or movement even at rest, though others claim they can't see it and even I must admit that I have to strain to see it.

A few minutes later and it seems to be some better. Still rattles me, oh don't know if it matters but there is a lot of tingling from the elbow down on that arm now, this has me scared out of my wits.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Scary symptom, please give it a look.

Postby Yuliasir on August 17th, 2013, 11:02 pm

Arkansan,
I can only share my own experience which is of having severe fingers and hand tremor this winter (can not hold not only 17 inch notebook but 6 inch eBook without a finger tremoring and jumping herer and there), had significant tremoring in my left hand when stretching it out fully.
and ask what?
It had gone gradually!

As it was told and discussed many times here, there are two important points each BFSer has to remember: a) BFS symptomes include tremors b) not each and every hand tremor is related to PD.

PD hand tremors are really specific. It makes a hand to be really uneasy, non-resting in terms of fingers moving finely and constantly in a very specific way, especially clear in rest. I am really sure that is you need a strain to see your 'rest tremors' - it is not a PD one.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on August 17th, 2013, 11:06 pm

That tingling from the elbow down is probably from your ulnar nerve which may be damged by lifing heavy object (please remember BFS aslso involves some changes in the cartialge and that many of us suffer form ulnar and carpal like syndromes).
most probably this trouble is a cause of your fingers tremoring too.

yesterday i had few hours of tingling inmy right hand just because of pressure caused by my armchair elbow rest during the mouse moving.

Do not worry, we just have very irritable nerves.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on August 18th, 2013, 4:34 am

Those tremors are part of BFS. You will maybe also experience that if you close your fist very very hard and then stretch out your fingers straight, that the finger tremors are getting very bad. What your arm does is also " normal " BFS. I had times when I was having serious troubles reaching for a bottle to get me something to drink, because the slight tension in these muscles was enough to make my arm shake. So you are a BFSer of the tremoring group. Not all BFSers develop tremors, but quite a lot. This is so common, that many descriptions of BFS mention it as one of the most common symptoms besides twitches. Tremors with BFS can get very bad, but usually they get better with time. If you read the old posts of Suzy Q, Leanne and me you will see that even though the tremors got so bad we could hardly walk, they went away after a while. I am still more prone to slight tremors induced by caffeine or stress, but actually they are gone if I stay a away from both ( which I can't LOL). You will maybe notice that your legs start to tremor walking down stairs, that your arms start to tremor when you hold them in a certain position or you are leaning on them. You fingers can go berserk, well, you know my vid so you know how bad it can get and still be BENIGN. Maybe you will also get the face tremors, crazy stuff that happens while smiling or trying to drink, maybe even clapping teeth. Eventually your whole body can become a shaking mess for a few weeks that is making your bed shake at night so your partner cannot sleep.
I am not telling you this to scare you. I am telling you this to show you two things :

1. it is still benign
2. it will go away

Suzis and Leannes and my fingers were as crazy as in my vid, constantly shaking and dropping things because we really lost our fine motor skills. Today Suzi works as a nurse as far as I know ( they also do sort pills/ prepare injections and all that fine motos skills stuff) , Leanne does awesome nail desing ( YES... Painting pictures on something as tiny as a fingernail!!!!) and I am doing clothes design which includes drawing , sewing , hand embroidery and sewing little tiny pearls on stuff.
NO problem. We are all doing fine and our hands do not bother us anymore.

No matter where your tremors with BFS will take you to...it will pass or at least calm down to a level that you can easily ignore. The best you can do against those tremors is workout and relaxation techniques. Like Jacobson muscle relaxation programme. There are options to treat tremors with meds, but it is not worth it. It will diminish and you will be fine. Even if one day you cross your arms and one of them will shake so bad at the wrist that it starts to jump up and down as if it was possesed.......do not call an exorcist, it is still BFS.
Every normal person will get tremors with a certain amount of stress hormones in the body. Look at the people that have survived something terrible...they shake like hell. This is because the muscles are tensed more than usual to repare us for running or fighting. But we don'd, so they are kind of " overtensed" inside and this is what causes us to twitch. Other things that can cause this phenomenon are certain meds or stimulants, infections, everything that works in our brain messing around with our muscle tension. But with BFS, this is temporarily bad and then will fade. Do not worry about parkinsons ( or ALS or MS), because it is just boring BFS.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby Arkansan on August 18th, 2013, 11:30 am

Thanks for your reassurances. I am glad that you both answered. I have all the other tremors you mentioned Chrissi, like if I rest any weight on my arms I notice that they tremor, and my hands just are constant but I can still text and write so I guess they cant be all that bad.

So with BFS it isnt abnormal for the small amount of fatigue I put on that arm to cause that severe a tremor?

Does your tremors favor one side? I am also having some of that internal shaking or buzzinf type feeling again, I had that for awhile last year but I guess worrying about tremors has brought it back.

Anyway thanks for taking the time, both of you always give very reasonable and comforting answers.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on August 18th, 2013, 12:07 pm

Mine actually was way worse on the left side (on the right hand I had only fingers tremoring, while left arm was tremoring in whole if I just stretched in out and made a fist tight). Well, really I can assure you that for me few pounds were enought to cause tremoring, and last time it was just an Ebook which is about 300 grams of weight but requires awkward palm position to hold and read (I hold it in my left hand and was using left finger to press the button).
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on August 18th, 2013, 12:35 pm

No, that is normal. For me, the tremors got wordüse the smaller the weight was I put on. If I contracted a muscle with full force the tremors were much less. Mine were worse right. Everything was worse there, like 80% of those sx.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby Arkansan on August 18th, 2013, 1:20 pm

Huh, it seems like BFS symptoms in general seem to favor one side. Or for me a particular symptom will favor one limb.

It was odd last night because I wasnt tremoring while I was holding it but after I had put it down. It was like if I raised the elbow as if to wave or if I stretched the fingers out it just went wild, resting it there was just the odd jerk for a few moments. I have noticed that the smaller the weight the worse this stuff is, a 40lb dumb bell causes me no issues but my 4lb laptop did.

Did, or do you guys notice that holding anything in general or having you hands or arms out at waist level, or out at all really, was when the tremoring is the most noticable? Like for me I can have my arms at my sides but if I bend the elbow to bring my forearms up to chest level even though my hand is relaxed it tremors some espescially right after I bring the fore arm up but continues midly after it has been in position for a moment. Is that a resting tremor or something to be concerned about?

I am tired of noticing that my hand and fingers tremor anytime I hold something or the like, was or is that the case for y'all as well?

Again thanks for taking the time to help talk me down off a limb.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby chrissi on August 18th, 2013, 1:38 pm

That is what I said, it is the small weights that are causing the problems, not the big ones. What you describe has happened a lot to me.
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby magnetizzum on August 18th, 2013, 2:49 pm

Hi Arkansan...I have some shaking too. I went to my gp before twitching for fatique and slight hand tremor and sometimes I shake/tremble up to my shoulders . If I am completely relaxed and using no muscle tension in my hands, then they are fine. But I've noticed something about myself. I carry stress in my shoulders. I seem to always have my shoulders hiked up so my shoulders are always tensed feeling. I have to talk myself mentally down to not slightly raise my shoulders. I work on a computer and have worked half a day with my shoulders slightly elevated when I notice them shaking. Any exercise with weights or using vibrating equipment increases symptoms 10 fold. My gp had me improve sleep, cutout caffenine,...but I still had the tremorshaking. Then the bodywide twitching started for me. I also have had several times at night awoke with tremor sensation in neck down to left hand--but mostly I noticed I am highly stressed/fatiqued when it happens. My gp called mine an intention tremor too.
magnetizzum

Postby Jlc on August 21st, 2013, 8:29 pm

I have a "postural tremor" in almost every part of my body. My psych said it's benign essential tremor and my neurologist just called it a postural tremor. Tremors suck but as long as people keep putting the word benign in front of everything I am diagnosed with, I'll manage and so will you.
Jlc

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics