Epidural and bfs

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Epidural and bfs

Postby Neecie on July 24th, 2013, 12:47 pm

Does anyone have any information or experience in being pregnant and delivering a child while having BFS? In regards to increase/decrease of symptoms or anxiety, and also a possible epidural/drug link?
Neecie

Re: Epidural and bfs

Postby LApea on July 24th, 2013, 1:11 pm

Hello!

I can only speak from experience of giving birth and BFS. I didn't have any symptoms until after I gave birth, that may have been because I received a couple of vaccines, had high blood pressure, was given antibiotics, and have a lot of anxiety during pregnancy. I think the culmination of all these things caused my body to go haywire, I don't think the epidural played a the role in it.

I actually asked my OB-GYN about my symptoms in correlation to the epidural, and he said in his 20 years of practice he has never heard of it causing the BFS like symptoms.

I think as long as you try to keep your anxiety in check, and remind yourself that BFS is benign, you will be fine. I think it affected me so much because I didn't know what hit me. Congrats on your baby. :)

Take Care
You drown not by falling into a river, but by staying submerged in it. -Paulo Coelho
LApea
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Neecie on July 24th, 2013, 8:14 pm

Thanks for replying. I'm actually not currently pregnant. I had the same experience with the BFS starting after childbirth. I am afraid if info through it again, things will get worse, or whatever in pregnancy/childbirth caused me to have BFS will do something worse this time, if that makes sense.
Neecie

Postby Gerard on July 25th, 2013, 1:03 pm

As someone who has inserted over 1000 epidurals, my immediate reaction is to say "not that's not possible". But, as we don't know anything about the pathophysiology of BFS, I'd have to upgrade that to an "extremely, extremely,extremely unlikely". :) Certainly shouldn't be a factor in any decision making process about having an epidural.
LApea wrote:
I actually asked my OB-GYN about my symptoms in correlation to the epidural, and he said in his 20 years of practice he has never heard of it causing the BFS like symptoms.

Just as an aside, you may as well have asked your cat.
Gerard

Postby mwagner on July 25th, 2013, 1:11 pm

So many of us came down with BFS shortly after having kids. My little boy was 2 when I first really noticed my symptoms, but looking back I was twitchy while I was pregnant with him (although all I can remember is my thumb moving on its own for about 6 hours or so).

I think it's the hormones, lack of sleep, stress of taking care of small kids that contribute to BFS and highly doubt the epidural has anything to do with it.

That being said, I don't think BFS should stop you from having another child if that's what you want to do.

Mitra
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics