Where are you from?

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Where are you from?

Postby Aingealag on July 28th, 2013, 10:27 am

1. I live in Perth, Australia, but grew up in the Netherlands.
2. Nope, no weight gain.
Aingealag

Postby Marilyn77 on July 28th, 2013, 9:46 pm

Canada (Montreal)

No, it started after that I have lost 15 pounds (I was only 89 pounds !)
Marilyn77

Postby Seepi27 on July 29th, 2013, 6:23 pm

Durham, UK.
No weight gain prior to onset of symptoms.

(Is this a genuine survey or are you just building up a stalking database?)

;-)
Seepi27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby cecsix on July 29th, 2013, 6:45 pm

When symptoms started six months ago, I lived in Ohio. I moved to Georgia a few months after it all started.

Nope, I had no weight change before symptoms, but I lost 15 lbs when I started stressing about my health and moving, and then my symptoms went crazy. I actually didnt notice the small, fine fasciculations until after I moved.
cecsix

Postby TyWebb on July 29th, 2013, 8:05 pm

South Carolina

No weight gain. I did start eating more than usual in an attempt to keep weight loss (from being unable to work out as much as prior to onset of symptoms) from freaking me out! I blame p90x for my bfs.
TyWebb

Postby andrewbfs on July 29th, 2013, 8:32 pm

Massachusetts, USA
No weight gain.
andrewbfs

Postby Gerard on July 29th, 2013, 8:37 pm

Okay. Here's where I'm coming from.

1. Most of us would agree that anxiety plays a big role in BFS. Anxiety increases circulating catecholamines, which increase neuromuscular excitability - so no big surprises there.

2. Anxiety also causes hyperventilation. Some of us - me included - who have the ability to measure CO2 levels have confirmed this to be true. Low CO2 also increases neuromuscular excitability.

3. Also some us - me included - have a low Vit-D level. Recent studies suggest that Vit D is also crucial for normal neuromuscular function, and the level needed to achieve "health" is much higher than previously thought. Why are so many of us so low? We are simply not getting enough sunshine. And when we do, we slap on the SPF-30. Why the question on weight gain? Vit-D is a lipid soluble Vitamin. Therefore with a finite amount of Vit-D, any weight gain is going to reduce the blood concentration.

So my hypothesis is that anxiety/hyperventilation/low Vit-D creates a "perfect storm" of neuromuscular excitabily which leads to all the symptoms of BFS. Hence my question on geography. So far, no-one's come forward who lives within 3 latitudes of the equator. If there is a predominance of us who live in Northern (or Southern!) regions, that might lend support to the role of Vit_D.
Gerard

Postby Seepi27 on July 29th, 2013, 10:12 pm

Gerard wrote:Okay. Here's where I'm coming from.

1. Most of us would agree that anxiety plays a big role in BFS. Anxiety increases circulating catecholamines, which increase neuromuscular excitability - so no big surprises there.

2. Anxiety also causes hyperventilation. Some of us - me included - who have the ability to measure CO2 levels have confirmed this to be true. Low CO2 also increases neuromuscular excitability.

3. Also some us - me included - have a low Vit-D level. Recent studies suggest that Vit D is also crucial for normal neuromuscular function, and the level needed to achieve "health" is much higher than previously thought. Why are so many of us so low? We are simply not getting enough sunshine. And when we do, we slap on the SPF-30. Why the question on weight gain? Vit-D is a lipid soluble Vitamin. Therefore with a finite amount of Vit-D, any weight gain is going to reduce the blood concentration.

So my hypothesis is that anxiety/hyperventilation/low Vit-D creates a "perfect storm" of neuromuscular excitabily which leads to all the symptoms of BFS. Hence my question on geography. So far, no-one's come forward who lives within 3 latitudes of the equator. If there is a predominance of us who live in Northern (or Southern!) regions, that might lend support to the role of Vit_D.

You're not just a pretty face, are you?

Nice hypothesis, man. Food for thought.
Seepi27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Aingealag on July 30th, 2013, 1:54 am

Thanks Seepi27, that's food for thought indeed! Maybe it's not just one thing, but a combination of factors in every one of us... Hmmm...
Aingealag

Postby lcanela on August 2nd, 2013, 4:06 am

From Venezuela but, it started in London!
NO.

Cheers.
lcanela

Postby Arkansan on August 3rd, 2013, 5:26 pm

Seepi27 wrote:

Interesting theory, I dig it. I have always been an anxious person, even when I was little. A few months ago my Vitamin D level was measured a 15, which I understand is abysmally low. How is CO2 level measured, through a pulse-ox? My pulse-ox has always read perfectly. I seem to recall a study somewhere linking low D levels to anxiety as well, it may be that for some of us it is a self feeding monster.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Gerard on August 6th, 2013, 2:06 pm

Arkansan wrote:
Seepi27 wrote:

Interesting theory, I dig it. I have always been an anxious person, even when I was little. A few months ago my Vitamin D level was measured a 15, which I understand is abysmally low. How is CO2 level measured, through a pulse-ox? My pulse-ox has always read perfectly. I seem to recall a study somewhere linking low D levels to anxiety as well, it may be that for some of us it is a self feeding monster.

No, CO2 is either measured through an arterial blood test, or a gas analyser. It's not a test which is easily available to the general public. Some respiratory physicians and physiotherapists do have the gas analysers (a simple one only costs a few hundred $)
Gerard

Postby Nightfly on August 6th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Cambridgeshire, UK

No weight gain - lost about stone before first symptoms (diet)
Nightfly

Postby G-Dog on August 6th, 2013, 3:57 pm

London, UK

No weight gain
G-Dog

Postby StressLess on August 6th, 2013, 6:27 pm

Aingealag wrote:1. I live in Perth, Australia, but grew up in the Netherlands.
2. Nope, no weight gain.

Hello from Margaret River :)

No weight gain. Slight weight loss from exercising again.
StressLess

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics