Do foods trigger symptoms for you?

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Do foods trigger symptoms for you?

Postby muppetdog on July 26th, 2013, 11:52 am

seventhcandle -

Yeah, I am not sure what's in the green tea that makes me feel like crap. I have not tried in a while but before It would make my body burn. I really don't get that much anxiety. I did try L-Theanine for a while just to see if it would help me sleep better. It did noting.

I just chalk it all up to the body being a mystery and don't eat was does not make me feel good.
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby seventhcandle on July 26th, 2013, 1:28 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:
seventhcandle wrote:Lately, my latest food trigger was raw green onions. Twice. Oh well...

Thanks for the info seventhcandle, I didn't know that about green tea. Regarding the raw green onions, I'm just curious if you are doing the rotational diet. If so, did this help you to zero in on the onions? Just curious for feedback sake. Thanks again!

I am doing a rotational diet, but not as strictly as you did yours, so am I technically doing that diet? I don't know.

Anyway, I let one week pass since my last reaction to green onions and then tried them again and boom, twitching was out of control with some night-time jerking for about 36 hours before it settled down.
Been on the BFS journey since 6/26/12...

Twitch way do I go from here?

BFS does get better with time. Almost two years in and able to do almost everything I could do before I had this condition. Still twitching away of course...
seventhcandle
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SecretAgentMan on July 26th, 2013, 2:04 pm

seventhcandle wrote:I am doing a rotational diet, but not as strictly as you did yours, so am I technically doing that diet? I don't know.

Anyway, I let one week pass since my last reaction to green onions and then tried them again and boom, twitching was out of control with some night-time jerking for about 36 hours before it settled down.

Excellent, thanks for the rotational diet feedback. I found it useful for pinning down trigger foods as well. The strictness of the food limitations was really two-fold. For one it limits the sources of contamination for unknown additives or ingredients that people might otherwise be unaware of. Processed foods often contain things not listed on the ingredients because the FDA allows foods to have an 'identity'. It's pretty scary actually... The Dairy Farmers Association is actually looking to have aspartame added to the 'identity' of milk so it doesn't need to be listed as an ingredient... They think more kids will drink milk if it tastes sweeter, but they don't want the calories of sugar or the negative connotation of having a neuro-toxin listed in the ingredients. Uhg... Anyway, the second reason for the strict food limitations is that the restricted foods generally feed candida, which is one of the key factors for the gut becoming weakened and inflamed in the first place.

I understand how hard it is though to stick to such a diet in this day and age. You can't hardly eat anything in restaurants. Eating burgers without buns or condiments and getting chicken that isn't breaded or topped with sauces makes things challenging. The important thing is that you are discovering what foods trigger symptoms for you and gaining more insight than you had before. Thanks again.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby aztwitchy on July 26th, 2013, 2:30 pm

seventhcandle wrote:
muppetdog wrote:
Green tea has caffiene in it.

Yeah, coffee dose not effect me but green tea does. I knew it had caffeine in it ;)

Perfumes often have hormones in them.

I think its the dihydrogen monoxide in the perfume that bothers me ;)

I also had to get Aquasana Shower filter at one point because the chlorine smell while I was showering or taking a bath drove me up the wall.

Green tea contains naturally occuring L-Theanine which is a precursor to GABA as well as several other neurotransmitters including Dopamine and Serotonin. It freely crosses the blood-brain barrier and it SUPPOSED to have anti-anxiety effects but in certain people it can cause a paradoxical reaction which actually INCREASES anxiety.

This happened to me the first time I took an L-Theanine supplement last year thinking it would decrease my anxiety and decrease my twitching, but instead I experienced the complete opposite - a dramatic increase in twitching and night-time jerking. It was horrible.

Lately, my latest food trigger was raw green onions. Twice. Oh well...

cool info...i have the same reaction to kava kava.

my latest food trigger i determined is cilantro...for some reason its on my banned list
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby RGB on July 26th, 2013, 6:30 pm

Don't take offence (there is a lot of it about!) but...

I have some serious reservations about these relationships between food and symptoms (in some cases, usual caveats apply etc!). The biggest problem is that BFS is so variable and we are naturally pattern-seeking animals, it is very easy to see relationships that aren't really there, it's just noise. Our minds evolved to see the stripes of a tiger in the grass, there isn't always a tiger even when we think there is, only grass.

Add to that the power of suggestion (people with 'allergies' to electromagnetic radiation get terribly ill when placed near mobile phone masts even when they are turned completely off) and it is easy to decide a food is a trigger and then for that to become self-fulfilling, especially in people who are anxious (if anyone knows any of those?!).

Do I buy the idea that diet affects symptoms? Yes. Do I think it is possible to easily make progress in understanding that relationship based on anecdotal evidence? Rarely.

(If I haven't stressed it enough!) this isn't to dismiss these ideas, it is just to add a note of caution.

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Seepi27 on July 26th, 2013, 7:29 pm

RGB wrote:Don't take offence (there is a lot of it about!) but...

I have some serious reservations about these relationships between food and symptoms (in some cases, usual caveats apply etc!). The biggest problem is that BFS is so variable and we are naturally pattern-seeking animals, it is very easy to see relationships that aren't really there, it's just noise. Our minds evolved to see the stripes of a tiger in the grass, there isn't always a tiger even when we think there is, only grass.

Add to that the power of suggestion (people with 'allergies' to electromagnetic radiation get terribly ill when placed near mobile phone masts even when they are turned completely off) and it is easy to decide a food is a trigger and then for that to become self-fulfilling, especially in people who are anxious (if anyone knows any of those?!).

Do I buy the idea that diet affects symptoms? Yes. Do I think it is possible to easily make progress in understanding that relationship based on anecdotal evidence? Rarely.

(If I haven't stressed it enough!) this isn't to dismiss these ideas, it is just to add a note of caution.

RGB

Well said that man!
Seepi27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SecretAgentMan on July 26th, 2013, 8:46 pm

No offense taken, it's a good point. Yes, there are many factors at play and the rotational diet is imperfect when you stack it against all the other potential variables. It is however a great first step in learning more about the relationship your symptoms have to factors that are under your control. Rotating your diet and keeping a food journal allows you to narrow down potential foods that are triggering symptoms. In seventhcandle's example he ate raw green onions twice and noticed an uptick in twitches both times. All this proves is a potential correlation. The great thing about keeping a food journal and rotating your diet is that you can notice potential correlations a lot easier. You have several options beyond this though. You can test the foods out again and again and see if the correlation continues to the point where it is painfully obvious or you could just avoid it altogether and see how much better you feel over a longer period of time. Also you could pay for blood work to confirm the reaction. The only thing that is certain is that if you don't do any diet work or probing for issues, you won't find any even if they are there to be found. I would urge all people who are skeptical on this to really do some online research into leaky gut syndrome. I'm not saying it is everyone's reason for having BFS, but I believe quite a few members probably do have it as a contributor. The only way to find out is to have people look into it.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby RGB on July 28th, 2013, 8:08 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote: Rotating your diet and keeping a food journal allows you to narrow down potential foods that are triggering symptoms. In seventhcandle's example he ate raw green onions twice and noticed an uptick in twitches both times. All this proves is a potential correlation. .

I agree that a methodical approach like this is more likely to yield reliable information and it seems that we also broadly agree on the difficulties. So before too much agreement breaks out I am going to add my second reservation ;)

The magnitude of BFS symptoms seems to vary considerably between individuals. For some it is a minor annoyance (and my guess is that for many, especially before Dr Google, it is so minor that it isn't even considered a problem requiring medical attention) but for others it has a real impact on quality of life (either directly or because of the anxiety it causes).

The danger with hunting for relationships between food and symptoms is that it implies that this is something to be 'cured'. For many people that may be true but for many others (and I can only guess at the fraction) their time would be better spent accepting that they now twitch harmlessly. Searching for something that will reduce symptoms is at the same time bringing those symptoms into focus and, if for some at least, there is a psychological component to this, then that is unlikely to be helpful.

So once again I'm not dismissing it, just noting that (a) These relationships are elusive and (b) there is a 'cost' in pursuing them because an 'accept and forget' attitude may be better. One size doesn't fit all, and for some this is clearly beneficial, but my greatest concern is that newbies with mild symptoms are drawn into an unnecessary process.

And if that fails to cause offence then I will be forced to argue about the fact that Americans are unable to correctly spell offen(c/s)e :)

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby seventhcandle on July 29th, 2013, 6:43 am

First of all, thank you SAM for all of the advice and thought you put into your posts. Secondly, I appreciate the way RGB respectfully disagrees here...he is right. Not everyone's BFS is flared up by foods or other environmental factors, but some of us do have these sensitivities.

I was on a very strict gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, etc. diet for about 8 months when my BFS symptoms were at their worst and slowly over time, minus flare-ups, the symptoms became more bearable. Recently I was able to add quite a few things back into my diet without incident including fish, chicken, many fruits & veggies, and mozzerella cheese.

However, in the past two days I got brave and tried eating 2 slices of pizza and some crackers and wow, I am paying for it big time. Major muscle spasms going non-stop everywhere. Thumpers in multiple locations at once and twitching like I haven't experienced in months. It's horrible and most likely, it's the effects of gluten ingestion over a two day period. How long with this horrible flare up last? I can only hope it subsides soon because these symptoms are driving me crazy again. Had my first completely sleepless night due to twitching tonight, which was the first time this has happened in well over a month. I even tried my usual remedies, including hot showers, long walks, stretching, meditating, and nothing worked. The gluten definitely caused a reaction and time will be the only healer on this one.

Anyone else out there with gluten sensitivity know how long it usually takes for the awful symptoms to subside after exposure? I know SAM had issues with gluten...perhaps he could comment here on how long it took before the crazy spasms reduced down to a more bearable level. Thanks!

BFS does get better with time. Almost two years in and able to do almost everything I could do before I had this condition. Still twitching away of course...
seventhcandle
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SecretAgentMan on July 29th, 2013, 8:42 am

Yeah, I had a few slips in my diet from time to time. Some of them were conscious cheats and others were completely accidental. The accidental ones I would trace back to previously unkonwn ingredients when my symptoms started flaring up. My flare ups would last maybe 2 days tops. Usually I'd feel better by the next day, but they'd slowly go away gradually over time beyond that.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on July 29th, 2013, 8:47 am

Well you wrote that for you, your symtoms are definately linked to your diet after you calmed down your anxiety, so of course in this case you should be very careful.
I do not have experiences from my own body, but I have had my neurodermitis baby on a completely- back- to- full- nursing diet and then slowly added foods back. And the major rule by my pediatrist was: never add a food back in a " combination" with other things, like a pizza.
First of all, regarding the immense severity of your symptoms, I think you would benefit from an allergy test to the most common allergens. As you have seen previously that foods have such a great influence on your body, you have to keep it really simple and basic. I know how frustrating this is when you must not eat all the yummy things ( because mommy must not eat the things baby must not eat because some allergens can go into the milk....that were very hard months for me with a lot of cravings...). If your symptoms are so calmed down that you think you can try to add something back, make it simple. Like when I was adding back eggs, I gave him a small amount of scrambled eggs , not eggs in a cake, and then waited for 2 days. When I added back milk, I gave him a little plain yoghurt ( no fruits, no sugar, plain greek yoghurt) and not milk in form of Tortellini alla Panna or something. My doctor told me that the likelyhood of re- established things to be accepted is far better if it does not come in a huge package with other things. So for the glutene, I made tortillas back then and gave it to him to try those, they are not having a lot of ingredients. And another rule is, to keep it as unprocessed as possible. Sometimes the processes used on foods do influence them in a way that effects their gut permeability and tendency to cause intolerances. This is e.g. well known for the homogenisation process of cow milk.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby seventhcandle on July 29th, 2013, 1:41 pm

chrissi wrote:Well you wrote that for you, your symtoms are definately linked to your diet after you calmed down your anxiety, so of course in this case you should be very careful.
I do not have experiences from my own body, but I have had my neurodermitis baby on a completely- back- to- full- nursing diet and then slowly added foods back. And the major rule by my pediatrist was: never add a food back in a " combination" with other things, like a pizza.
First of all, regarding the immense severity of your symptoms, I think you would benefit from an allergy test to the most common allergens. As you have seen previously that foods have such a great influence on your body, you have to keep it really simple and basic. I know how frustrating this is when you must not eat all the yummy things ( because mommy must not eat the things baby must not eat because some allergens can go into the milk....that were very hard months for me with a lot of cravings...). If your symptoms are so calmed down that you think you can try to add something back, make it simple. Like when I was adding back eggs, I gave him a small amount of scrambled eggs , not eggs in a cake, and then waited for 2 days. When I added back milk, I gave him a little plain yoghurt ( no fruits, no sugar, plain greek yoghurt) and not milk in form of Tortellini alla Panna or something. My doctor told me that the likelyhood of re- established things to be accepted is far better if it does not come in a huge package with other things. So for the glutene, I made tortillas back then and gave it to him to try those, they are not having a lot of ingredients. And another rule is, to keep it as unprocessed as possible. Sometimes the processes used on foods do influence them in a way that effects their gut permeability and tendency to cause intolerances. This is e.g. well known for the homogenisation process of cow milk.

Chrissi - Thank you. Wise words. I think I got too trigger happy by eating the pizza slices and crackers and my consequence is an unbelievably severe flare up. 48 hours into this and still a worsening of symptoms, but you know what they say - sometimes it has to get worse before it can get better.

I interestingly enough also have significant gastric discomfort accompanying this flare up and I'm sure that is no coincidence. I also have severe stomach spasming on both sides - again, hardly a coincidence I'm sure. My twitching looks more like neuromyotonia at the moment the way it's going but I know it's not that...just a temporarily flared up nervous system thanks to gluten.

And SAM - I'm hoping a few days is all I need for my symptoms to return to a calmer level. Thanks!

seventhcandle
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby seventhcandle on July 29th, 2013, 2:31 pm

The more I look into it, the more I'm starting to think I may have Celiac Disease, which I've found matches nearly all of my symptoms to a tee. This is interesting for those of us with food intolerances. And interestingly enough, I did have low iron levels and four hemangiomas on my liver, so who knows? I think this may be the cause of my BFS because my modified strict diet did reduce my symptoms somewhat over a 9 month period to where they were pretty managable most days until the latest gluten ingestion sent them into overdrive.

seventhcandle
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SecretAgentMan on July 29th, 2013, 4:50 pm

You can have food sensitivities, particularly to gluten, without having Celiac's. Lots of research into the topic here: https://sites.google.com/site/jccglutenfree/ I didn't have Celiac's and developed the gluten sensitivity for a while with BFS symptoms every time I slipped up or cheated. I was able to overcome it too and now eat gluten again. Hang in there.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to General Topics