Do foods trigger symptoms for you?

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Do foods trigger symptoms for you?

Postby BFSBurger on July 20th, 2013, 10:53 pm

Hi everybody,

I still have to reconcile in my mind why eating certain foods cause major issues for me.

My most annoying twitch (on the side of my head) had been silent for nearly 2 weeks. Yesterday I went out of my way to eat an entire chocolate bar, and a caffeine-filled coke. Within an hour, after 2 weeks of *complete* silence ... the muscle on the side of my scalp started thumping. This continued, unabated, for nearly 8 hours. My left calf felt tight. My left foot transitioned between feeling cold, and feeling like it was burning. I had been following my diet regimen perfectly for a long time. I hadn't had a single twitch on my scalp. Yet now it was back in full force. For me, foods can be triggers.

Do any of you get reactions from foods? Doesn't matter what it is.
Nerve pain. Tingling. Coldness/Burning sensation? Increased twitching. Muscle aches? Cramping? Stabbing pains. Joint pain?

Maybe I am the only one. Maybe I have a new syndrome called Celiac-BFS. :) Who knows. But this is why I personally have to be a proponent of dietary changes. Exercise is a major mediator of symptoms, as is stress reduction. But I can be as calm as ever. If I eat a whole pizza and a Redbull, symptoms are usually stirred back into action. If nobody else has this, then I will research what may be unique for me.

-Burger-
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Re: Do foods trigger symptoms for you?

Postby johnnythejet on July 21st, 2013, 1:46 am

Caffeine has always had an effect on my hand tremors, but never on twitches. No other food has ever impacted my symptoms. It might be worth adding that of the hundreds of twitchers I've been very familiar with over the years, food triggers aren't anything I recall being mentioned. Im sure there must have been a few cases in there somewhere, but very few if so.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby seventhcandle on July 21st, 2013, 1:58 am

BFSBurger wrote:Hi everybody,

I still have to reconcile in my mind why eating certain foods cause major issues for me.

My most annoying twitch (on the side of my head) had been silent for nearly 2 weeks. Yesterday I went out of my way to eat an entire chocolate bar, and a caffeine-filled coke. Within an hour, after 2 weeks of *complete* silence ... the muscle on the side of my scalp started thumping. This continued, unabated, for nearly 8 hours. My left calf felt tight. My left foot transitioned between feeling cold, and feeling like it was burning. I had been following my diet regimen perfectly for a long time. I hadn't had a single twitch on my scalp. Yet now it was back in full force. For me, foods can be triggers.

Do any of you get reactions from foods? Doesn't matter what it is.
Nerve pain. Tingling. Coldness/Burning sensation? Increased twitching. Muscle aches? Cramping? Stabbing pains. Joint pain?

Maybe I am the only one. Maybe I have a new syndrome called Celiac-BFS. :) Who knows. But this is why I personally have to be a proponent of dietary changes. Exercise is a major mediator of symptoms, as is stress reduction. But I can be as calm as ever. If I eat a whole pizza and a Redbull, symptoms are usually stirred back into action. If nobody else has this, then I will research what may be unique for me.

-Burger-

Absolutely, yes. I started noticing a pattern with this last year, when suddenly I was unable to eat certain foods I could eat before. I had very severe reactions last year and earlier this year after eating certain foods where my nocturnal jerking would kick up to keep me up for 2-4 nights in a row with no sleep and I would twitch super heavy for that time as well. Pure hell and torture.

I still have food sensitivities. I ate out at Whole Foods this morning and had some bacon, eggs, and potatoes. I ate a few raw onions by accident and within 15-30 mins, I had nasty ass leg thumping which lasted for 4 hours straight. Nothing as bad as it used to be thank God. I still jerk in my sleep and whatnot, but I have yet to have as severe a reaction to foods as I did months ago. I think my nervous system is slowly calming down. But we'll see.
Been on the BFS journey since 6/26/12...

Twitch way do I go from here?

BFS does get better with time. Almost two years in and able to do almost everything I could do before I had this condition. Still twitching away of course...
seventhcandle
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby chrissi on July 21st, 2013, 2:14 am

Caffeine in combination with too much sugar does increase my tremors and if I really overdo it, I will get a few twitches.. It never had any effect on my pains or paresthesias. I have been a very healthy living person long before BFS, and when I got it I was nursing a baby with neurodermitis which also cuts dairy and glutene out of mommys diet, so I did not have a lot of possible triggers in my diet ( plus I could almost not eat anything at all in the beginning, so I was more or less living of broth and tea for a few weeks because of my swallowing problems and my lack of appetite).
But caffeine , yes, I must not drink too much. But I really like it and am not willing to cut out of my diet ( yes I am stubborn. But as much as I saw BFS as a chance to change many things, I am not willing to give it that much room in my life, that I withstain from things I really like just to avoid an 1 hour increase of a bit finger shakyness)
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby magnetizzum on July 21st, 2013, 7:40 am

I used to drink caffeine in copious amounts and to no ill effects besides having good energy. ASSOCIATIONS--the first week of April my child was sick. I also had an extra bottle of antibiotics, so I decided to take the antibiotics as a precaution. And yes I know you're not supposed to do that but when one person is sick in a household, it goes through everybody. So my child got better. I never became sick. The next week I had sleeping issues, and for one week I took tylenol PM/simply sleep type products. BAM...one week later Muscle twitches everywhere. So in looking back though my possible triggers we have some type of virus/intity causing sickness in my house, caffenine, antibiotic, sleep aid pills. Now three out of four of those possible triggers were consumed. I must now throw anxiety into this as somedays I want to just scream...I want my pre-muscle twitching body back! Fast forward to yesturday...in the morning I drank two cups of 1/2 caffeine coffee and had a horrible day twitching. I'm not even sure if the small amount of caffeine I consumed even had anything to do with it but its the only thing I can associate with the bad day of muscle twitches. I spent a lot of my day yesturday reading through old threads on this site trying to ease the anxiety...this is my life somewhat now----fantastic
magnetizzum

Postby SecretAgentMan on July 21st, 2013, 7:53 am

You aren't crazy BFSBurger. Check out this video (below) with two different docs talking about the gut's connection to neurological disorders. They don't mention BFS or twitching, but I know from my case that BFS is how it manifested for me. I do not believe that this is the silver bullet that explains everyone's case, but I do believe it is the explanation for a good number of people here. It is human nature that we tend to project things going on in our life and see evidence of it everywhere else. When I first learned of Leaky Gut Syndrome and had success with a diet change I was convinced everyone with BFS had it. I saw the similarities between myself and others and assumed the underlying conditions causing those similarities were the same too. The same could probably be said for people who did not experience any change in their symptoms from modifying their diet. They may project their lack of success and think its a waste of time for anyone else to try. We are all different, and who knows what some of the other causes for BFS may be. A new case now suggests that electrocution may cause similar symptoms. I think its a good idea for everyone to give diet a serious look and an honest try to rule it out, but I'm under no illusions that it will help everybody as it helped me and seems to be helping you. Anyway, here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-qm-K- ... detailpage
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on July 21st, 2013, 9:04 am

Okay.

Good to know.

It stands to reason that if certain foods, or food ingredients can increase symptoms, then the removal of those foods will reduce symptom triggering events, and systemic stress levels. This is what I am seeing in my own BFS.

SAM - Yep. It is well-established that foods affect the brain, the gut, CNS, immune system, systemic stress levels, and hormone and steroid levels. I think, especially for new BFS sufferers, sensitivities are high, and the removal of food triggers can drastically reduce severity and duration of symptoms, and possibly speed up recovery time significantly.

-Burger-

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby aztwitchy on July 21st, 2013, 9:56 pm

johnnythejet wrote:Caffeine has always had an effect on my hand tremors, but never on twitches. No other food has ever impacted my symptoms. It might be worth adding that of the hundreds of twitchers I've been very familiar with over the years, food triggers aren't anything I recall being mentioned. Im sure there must have been a few cases in there somewhere, but very few if so.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22225790

http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/gluten ... connected/

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/arc ... hp?t=13016

http://therestlesslegsblog.wordpress.co ... ne-gluten/

http://brainblogger.com/2013/04/10/keto ... disorders/

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchi ... 9p24.shtml

http://healthymamma.wordpress.com/2011/ ... -and-diet/

The world is a lot bigger than bfs....tons of neurological issues being tied to diet. My guess would be a lot of people on this forum also have digestive issues as well as bfs. I've seen tons of folks explaining they are on acid reflux meds, antihistamines, etc... Digestive issues and malabsorption can cause anxiety just like the reverse.

look at the symptoms of celiacs...how many are neurological?

Iron deficiency
Bone or joint pain
Arthritis
Depression or anxiety
Bone loss or osteoporosis
Tingling numbness in hands and feet
Seizures
Erratic menstrual periods
Dermatitis herpetiformis
Mouth sores

Oh we'll take this with a grain of salt...I'm just a newbie. Apparently those of us who have improved solely based on diet changes need to wait 7 more years before our opinion matters
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby johnnythejet on July 21st, 2013, 11:11 pm

aztwitchy wrote:
johnnythejet wrote:Caffeine has always had an effect on my hand tremors, but never on twitches. No other food has ever impacted my symptoms. It might be worth adding that of the hundreds of twitchers I've been very familiar with over the years, food triggers aren't anything I recall being mentioned. Im sure there must have been a few cases in there somewhere, but very few if so.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22225790

http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/gluten ... connected/

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/arc ... hp?t=13016

http://therestlesslegsblog.wordpress.co ... ne-gluten/

http://brainblogger.com/2013/04/10/keto ... disorders/

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchi ... 9p24.shtml

http://healthymamma.wordpress.com/2011/ ... -and-diet/
The world is a lot bigger than bfs....tons of neurological issues being tied to diet. My guess would be a lot of people on this forum also have digestive issues as well as bfs. I've seen tons of folks explaining they are on acid reflux meds, antihistamines, etc... Digestive issues and malabsorption can cause anxiety just like the reverse.
Oh we'll take this with a grain of salt...I'm just a newbie. Apparently those of us who have improved solely based on diet changes need to wait 7 more years before our opinion matters

My statement was specific to cases of BFS and how little food affected the symptoms of those individuals. I wasn't offering my opinion, just stating facts. As to your opinions, I agree that diet is important for overall health, and a poor diet can cause various problems. For BFS in the vast majority of cases? ....Pretty obvious the answer is no.
And I also agree that the world is much bigger than BFS. We should move on from BFS and enjoy it.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on July 22nd, 2013, 12:30 pm

Just ignore johnny. At this point he has become a Troll. He goes into every thread I post, and intentionally negates whatever I write. Its obvious to several others at this point, as per my discussions with them.

His desire to shoot down anything I suggest actually harms people, who may benefit from these suggestions.

Just put him on ignore like I have. It's the only way to deal with a Troll.

Johnny: We already know that you claim to "intimately know hundreds of twitchers" (LOL) who have seen no benefit from diet changes. Stop repeating yourself. Nobody cares.

We are seeing benefit. Unless you are calling everyone in this thread a liar. We are encouraging others to try dietary changes *the right way*. And the way its done, matters. Anyone of your "hundreds" of friends can claim dietary changes, but that doesn't mean a thing. Done right, its helping us immensely. Please respect that. Also, it doesn't matter which of your symptoms changed with your diet. What matters is that they changed. That proves causation. Not sure if you grasp that. You now admit that food intake affects your symptoms. It doesn't matter which symptom. So im glad you accidentally agreed, finally. As I stated in my other thread: "Its the nerve pains, muscle pains, and all the surrounding symptoms are the ones that improved most drastically when I began avoiding inflammatory foods" (paraphrase).

Now let it go... move on. Stop trolling.

-Burger-
Last edited by BFSBurger on July 22nd, 2013, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby Seepi27 on July 22nd, 2013, 12:48 pm

BFSBurger wrote:Just ignore johnny. At this point he has become a Troll. He goes into every thread I post, and intentionally negates whatever I write. Its obvious to several others at this point, as per my discussions with them.

His strange desire to discredit anything I say is actually harming others here who may benefit from these suggestions.

I'm afraid you overestimate your own 'pulling power' and underestimate the maturity of the readers on this board. People have minds, and can make them up for themselves. A little critiquing from a third party will not sway them unduly.

Johnny is hardly a troll. Or is that something you like to call anyone who doesn't agree with you, and whose disagreement is ongoing? If so, you've been around health boards for long enough and should, by now, have cultivated a more mature response to your detractors than simply going for the "Oh, he's just a troll" move on them.

We are seeing benefit. Unless you are calling everyone in this thread a liar? We are encouraging others to try dietary changes *the right way*. Because its helping us immensely. Please respect that.

Do you want to singlehandedly be responsible for continued suffering of BFSers by discouraging them from even trying? Just because of your weird obsession with me?

Ah, the 'weird obsession' gambit. What are you, fourteen?

As someone else said recently, there is room for everyone here. Similarly, there is room for agreement and disagreement. Some people take on board what you say; others have no time for it at all. It's a big world, BFSBurger, with all shades and grades of opinion. If anyone needs to get over anything, you need to get over the fact that not everyone is in thrall of you and your ideas. And as I said, Johnny is hardly a troll. If you don't like his rejoinders to you, don't read or comment on them. Because when you do, you do yourself a big disservice and come across like a petulant teenager.
Seepi27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby johnnythejet on July 22nd, 2013, 12:51 pm

BFSBurger wrote:Just ignore johnny. At this point he has become a Troll. He goes into every thread I post, and intentionally negates whatever I write. Its obvious to several others at this point, as per my discussions with them.

His strange desire to discredit anything I say is actually harming others here who may benefit from these suggestions. But that doesn't seem to matter to him.

Reread my first response and see that I was plainly responding to your question about food triggers, what I've experienced as well as others. That was a response to a question, and far from "negating everything you write."
My second post was a response to comments from someone else directed at my first response, which again is not "negating everything you write."
I've been on this forum a long time, and everyone knows "harming others here" is the opposite of what I'm about. Misrepresenting my comments and intent will get you nowhere, but it does offer entertainment. Thank you for that.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on July 22nd, 2013, 12:55 pm

Seepi27 wrote:Johnny is hardly a troll. Or is that something you like to call anyone who doesn't agree with you

Do you have any idea what the definition of a troll is? When someone is intentionally going into every single thread you post in, replying to *your* post, and intentionally shooting down everything you say, for months on end, that is trolling. I realize to the guy (you) who isn't paying attention, this could look like I dont like being disagreed-with. But im not that simple minded or petty. I leave Johnny alone on here. I already know we disagree. I don't need his weird *ss going into every thread I post and shooting down every word I say. There is a difference between normal disagreeing, and Trolling. This thread was for people who are seeing effects from foods. I knew he would come in here and say the opposite. That's what he does. Doesn't matter what I write. He says the opposite. That's his thing.

You and I both know petty people who do crap like this online. I've been running online communities for 13 years. Wome people are like Jonny. They get p*ssed off, decide they dont like someone, and go out of their way to try and discredit everything that person writes. That is whats happening. Have you noticed that JohnnytheTroll doesn't do this with Secret Agent Man, even though he says the exact same things that I do? Might wanna take note of that...
This has nothing to do with "being right". Im only sharing what is working for me. But his worst nightmare is that people look up to me as a source of helpful information. So *everything* he posts relates to negating what I say. Sorry you haven't noticed that. But he has been doing this for months, and many others have commented to me they've noticed. When I am getting text messages on my phone from people, and PM's acknowledging this very thing, I know im not imagining things. I'm simply telling him to stop. I think you can sense the irritation in aztwitchy's post above. I only wish I could show you the text messages I get. Thanks for your input, but with all due respect, you're missing whats happening. Johnny is a troll, and a thread hijacker, and people are getting tired of it. Not just me.

Johnny even sent me a PM a couple months ago out of thin air, mocking me that I couldn't get back into the chat room. Because he is the moderator, I assume, and he wanted me to try to come back in so he could boot me out like he did 5 times in a row several months back. Talk about acting like you're fourteen? Clearly the guy has an obsession with me. You haven't been privy to the utter nonsense of this childish tool. I have. So please dont attempt to define my mindset about him. Guys like him who's greatest accomplishment in life is that they're a moderator in an online chat room. Because of him, I will eventually give the middle finger to this board and stop trying to help. I am not interested in helping people who don't want to be helped. So that will be Johnnys contribution to this forum. He wants me to leave, or get myself banned. As someone already text to me last week. I will most likely just leave, and everyone here who prefers to remain miserable can cheer at my absence, as they continue in their miserable symptoms.

-Burger-
Last edited by BFSBurger on July 22nd, 2013, 1:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby SuziQ on July 22nd, 2013, 1:13 pm

I think caffeine does this to everyone, not just those afflicted with BFS. In fact, if you really watch people (and you may have noticed this, already,) LOTS of folks have hand tremors. I see it ALL the time.

There is no way I will ever give up my coffee. You will have to pry it from my cold, dead, tremoring fingers. :)

(That last bit was me just being cheeky. I don't actually get tremors anymore and haven't for a long time...) But if I DID ever feel them again, I would not be at all worried, nor would I give up my coffee.

Blessings,
Sue
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on July 22nd, 2013, 1:20 pm

Burger,
I'm not sure how many times you've turned things personal, but feel free to stop anytime. Anyone can reread every past topic of yours and see I'm absent from most of them....I have a full time job which I'd need to quit for that effort. I'm sorry you have personal problems with me and get upset when others don't fall in line with your agenda.
For the record, I'm glad you are a part of this community and you've provided me with a fair amount of entertainment value. Thanks.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to General Topics