*sigh* Parkinson's fear.

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: *sigh* Parkinson's fear.

Postby Arkansan on August 3rd, 2013, 5:38 pm

ALS seems to be the big fear around these parts. Anyone else here ever struggle with this particular fear?

Little things set it off, like for instance when I use a spoon, I notice that it tremors. BAM, and we are off to the races again! I am even checking my handwriting for any zigzagging in the letters, and of course search and you shall find. I have also noticed that my hands move some to my pulse which also freaks me right the heck out. My hands tremble/tremor some constantly it seems like, more noticeable when holding something but no one I show it too seems to think much of it. Here is the other big one that freaks my out, some days one of my wrists, typically my right, will feel I don't know, off? Like sorta tight, but somehow too loose. I will also have pains in them when I am asleep that seem to dissipate shortly after waking. Also when I close my fist I can watch it move very slightly up and down, it is a pretty fine movement.

Surely someone else has gone through these symptoms too? Am I just reading too much into stuff, spending too much time in a state of hyper awareness?

Believe it or not it really does help when you guys answer. Makes me feel a little less scared and a lot less crazy. I was having a good day, but something set me off and I am working back toward full blown paranoia again, posting here sorta acts like a pressure valve that helps me not reach full blown freak out level.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby johnnythejet on August 4th, 2013, 5:58 pm

Arkansan wrote:Little things set it off, like for instance when I use a spoon, I notice that it tremors. BAM, and we are off to the races again! I am even checking my handwriting for any zigzagging in the letters, and of course search and you shall find. I have also noticed that my hands move some to my pulse which also freaks me right the heck out. My hands tremble/tremor some constantly it seems like, more noticeable when holding something but no one I show it too seems to think much of it. Here is the other big one that freaks my out, some days one of my wrists, typically my right, will feel I don't know, off? Like sorta tight, but somehow too loose.

Yes, I've experienced everything above and have for years. I cannot hold ANYTHING still. I cannot read my writing and constantly make errors. My fingers can never be held in a fixed position. And the feelings in your wrist are something that is common with BFS, even for those who don't have tremors like you and I. What you describe is NOT Parkinsons. Stop thinking about this disease and your anxiety will improve. Allow yourself to continue being fixated and suffering will continue or worsen.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Arkansan on August 6th, 2013, 2:06 pm

Thanks for replying Johnny, I didn't know the wrist thing was common in BFS. Your posts always help, thanks for taking the time. I guess now I just need to get busy keeping my mind occupied.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby vitalogy03 on August 20th, 2013, 2:20 pm

Well im with ya on this one...I dont have a fear of ALS/MS... all my fears are on PD. I have a lot of the same things going on you do as wel las a lot more...my big thing right now is this internal feeling in my right hand...feels like it should be tremoring but when I look down...nothing...this feeling kept me up all last night and I don't know if Im having dreams about twitching or its really happening at night hahaha!! I also watch my hands all the time looking for the smallest twitch/tremor, when I hold a mouse and and move my index finger over a little it moves out fo control...and what do you think happens....PD fears start back up
vitalogy03

Postby johnnythejet on August 20th, 2013, 2:24 pm

vitalogy03 wrote:right now is this internal feeling in my right hand...feels like it should be tremoring but when I look down...nothing...this feeling kept me up all last night and I don't know if Im having dreams about twitching or its really happening at night hahaha!! I also watch my hands all the time looking for the smallest twitch/tremor, when I hold a mouse and and move my index finger over a little it moves out fo control...and what do you think happens....PD fears start back up

Does this sound familiar?
neurosis: Also called psychoneurosis. a functional disorder in which feelings of anxiety, obsessional thoughts, compulsive acts, and physical complaints without objective evidence of disease, in various degrees and patterns, dominate the personality.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby vitalogy03 on August 20th, 2013, 2:26 pm

wow that does...the only thing that bothers me is the weird internal feeling
vitalogy03

Postby vitalogy03 on August 20th, 2013, 2:30 pm

another bad thing I do is read online about people my age who where the .0001 and got the diesease early.
vitalogy03

Postby Jlc on August 20th, 2013, 6:06 pm

I'm with you guys on this one too. I got such great advice from this site and my neurologist called yesterday and literally told me I don't have pd and I have to accept that. Problem is, same as you I have read many stories and worried myself sick over this. My symptoms that bother me most I'd very frequent vibrating in pelvic area, tremors, throat problems and stiffness. The twitches don't bother me at all anymore.

I'm working on getting over this and worry that I will be the first person on this board actually diagnosed with something sinister.
Jlc

Postby SecretAgentMan on August 20th, 2013, 6:48 pm

Let's try a little reverse psychology. What is the point in NOT having it if all you do is think about having it? What are you fearing that you will lose? Precious time with friends, family, and loved ones? Opportunities to make happy memories? Look at what you are doing to yourselves now by wasting time away worrying and googling... Nothing will change until you decide to take a different course of action. So what is stopping you? You already know where the path you are on will lead you. More fear, more pleas for help, more doctors visits and tests. If that's what you want to keep doing then by all means carry on, but if you're tired of that then why don't you act on it and make a change. Einstein's definition of insanity was to keep doing the same thing over and over again each time expecting different results. Keep that in mind.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Arkansan on August 20th, 2013, 10:17 pm

I understand where your at guys, I am still dealing with this fear to some degree. I chosen to try not to dwell on it though and lo and behold I am starting to have some good days, and when I do wouldn't ya know it but my symptoms get better. Seriously guys we can get past this, it doesn't have to rule our lives.

A quick question though, not related to a fear of PD, but since I am here and don't feel this warrants a new thread. Does anyone else have their limbs jerk sometimes, like a brief snappy movement, typically a small one? I have this a fair bit, it is worst in my right leg if I am sitting down, though someday I don't notice it very much. Not too stressed on this one just curious as to whether or not others have this.

Oh and another funny little BFS quirk, my twitches which had all but disappear have been back lately. But I am not letting it stress me, honestly I sort of missed them. I figure that we will cycle in and out of our symptoms but hey thats just part of it, keeps things fresh!
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jlc on August 20th, 2013, 10:39 pm

Yes sir. I have this as well. It mostly happens when I am in bed but every once and a while during the day as well. Foot will move... Or a finger. One time my whole leg kicked.
Jlc

Postby Arkansan on August 20th, 2013, 10:57 pm

Yeah its funny, I was brushing my wifes hair once and my arm did it. It sorta dug the brush into her scalp, needless to say she was not amused.
Arkansan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to General Topics