Thinking of coordinating a group diet experiment/challenge

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Thinking of coordinating a group diet experiment/challen

Postby Adamk on August 3rd, 2013, 6:59 pm

I had a awesome day with zero twitching up until just now because of my stressful job. I had to get yelled at by a customer about their phone bill and it always sets me off. I'm better now but the stress definitely triggered a flair up. This job would be great if it weren't for the [email protected]*#ing customers! But point is the diet is showing results for me. Slowly but making progress.
Adamk

Postby BFSBurger on August 4th, 2013, 8:15 pm

For now, I feel like I need to post in this thread to help people out who are trying to reduce systemic inflammation via dietary changes, and calming the gut. Its nice to see that people are already reporting feeling better from these changes. Please remember that this is a long process of "calming your system". It is the *absence* of triggers that you are introducing right now. The *absence* of agitators. This "state of digestive calm" and ease will create an environment of less stress on the system.

I see a few people struggling with what specifically to eat. Each person is different, so you need to decide (based on how you feel 1-3 hours later) whether you can tolerate the below, but below you will see what has worked for me. This is my daily regimen. The below has brought me to nearly full recovery in quite a short period of time:

Please listen to this when you get a chance: http://castroller.com/podcasts/TheHealt ... ic/2677116

Breakfast:
1 - two eggs, scrambled, cooked in 1 tablespoon Olive Oil, pinch of salt
2 - yellow gatorade, glass of water, fish oil capsule
3 - KIND brand: Maple Walnut Clusters (cereal) - gluten free, mixed with KEFIR milk, Almond Milk, Cantaloupe, Blueberries, Blackberries (all organic)
4 - Two tablespoons of Flax Oil - pour over cereal.

Juicing:
Slow, masticating juicer (omega brand)
1 - two carrots, three stalks celery, handful broccoli "head" pieces, one red apple, four leaves rainbow shard.
Pour in glass with straw, leave in refrigerator, sip throughout day.

Lunch:
1 - one whole organic potato (200g) peeled - mashed. No milk. No butter. Plain.
2 - chicken leg / breast / thigh, tasty sauce (bbq, etc)
3 - glass of water or gatorade.

Dinner:
1 - same as lunch. basically meat, whole organic mashed potato, sauce of any kind for taste.

Monday through Thursday I choose to take the following.
100mg - Ubiquinol (CoQ10)
100mg - ALA
100mg - RLA
10mg - PQQ
Vitamin B Complex without B6 (google for it) - just once a week.
I notice some minor increase in twitching from it, but this is why I take Fri, Sat, Sun off. So I can evaluate its effect.
The above is a mitochondrial / energy supplying supplement regimen. It seemed to help with my fatigue quite a bit.

One day a week (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)
500mg Quercetin.
No supplement has made me feel as good as this one.
But taking it too often causes problems.
Once, maybe twice a week maximum.

I can not recommend Quercetin enough.
It is a potent anti inflammatory and has a direct effect on my central nervous system calming down.

These have been my discoveries for me.
This is my regimen for food intake.
Sometimes I cheat - have a stouffers meatloaf & mashed potatoes dinner, but that's not really cheating anyways.
Its still totally Paleo. Its just not as healthy as organic.
I started feeling better 3-4 weeks after I started this.

I hope this helps someone. Thats truly my only hope here.

-Burger-
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on August 4th, 2013, 9:55 pm

Arkansan wrote:Well I had to pull out of the diet. No matter what I did I could not seem to keep my blood sugar levels in check, I was bottomed out all of the time. I felt an initial improvement, but I honestly wonder if that was because I expected to. I have less twitches now than I ever have, they are still there and I have days where they are more pronounced but overall they have faded into the background. Funny enough though I really noticed an improvement when I quit worrying about them.

As with a lot of things, when you expect something will work, it will seem to and positive results will be seen. The improvement from diet changes you saw might have easily been reproduced by taking a sugar pill that you honestly thought was "the cure."

And its not funny or surprising at all that you noticed improvement when you quit worrying about the twitches. That's been the most common "cure" for BFS based on the empirical evidence over several years. For most twitchers who report back, huge improvement is seen eventually once anxiety is reduced and they move on with live (remove focus from the condition, itself). If you continue down that path, you will continue to see benefits. Keep it up.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on August 5th, 2013, 5:07 pm

I rest my case.

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on August 5th, 2013, 6:06 pm

Arkansan wrote: However I have not abandoned diet completely and am going back to the drawing board. I plan on rotating foods out to just see what if anything I respond to.

I still think diet may play a role.

Good idea. Keep in mind that its not just a rotation thing. Its the absence of triggering foods for a period of time. Things need to be gone for awhile, so that when you reintroduce them, you notice the trigger. There are some foods which you will notice reactions from within 30 minutes to 1 hour. But that's not always the case.

I personally would eat a pizza, and about 3 hours later feel an aching and tightness in my left calf. Then a burning sensation in my left foot. This was very uncomfortable, and would persist for several hours, then subside. It didn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that food was an issue for me. With a little research I learned that inflammation in the gut is responsible for this. Doesn't matter if the cause is Celiac, a bacteria, a virus, or something else. We are dealing with inflammation. And the solution is removal of gut inflaming foods. Giving 3-9 months for the damaged gut villi to heal. When I avoided pizzas, it wouldn't happen anymore. Cause and effect. Food doesn't matter? For me? False.

One other thing: There is no reason why this diet should have caused you to bottom out on your blood sugar levels, unless you were eating in a manner which promotes low blood sugar. I have stressed the importance of high glycemic foods like Potatoes, Rice, and even Gatorade for electrolytes. I felt weak on standard Paleo as well. Mostly because its high protein, low carb. BFS'ers struggle with energy depletion so you need clean, safe carbs. If your blood sugar went low, that is simple to rectify. No reason to go back to eating crappy foods, as that is the only other alternative. This isn't a crazy, weird, fad diet. Its simply about eating healthy. Anyone who disagrees with this diet is disagreeing with the concept of eating healthy.

I haven't seen exactly what you were eating, but devil is always in the details.

The Big 3

I like to call this "The Big 3". (1) Anxiety Reduction (2) Mild Exercise (3) Non-Inflammatory Foods. No amount of diet change will make a difference if your anxiety is not under control. Even with anxiety under control, your body will struggle with symptoms and inflammation if you aren't addressing stress from the other two angles (non inflammatory foods and mild exercise). All parts of "The Big 3" must be incorporated for optimal success. The goal is reduction of stress on the overall body system. The three main mitigators of stress on a human body are Anxiety Control, Mild Exercise, and avoiding inflammatory foods. Each of these lowers stress hormones in the system, calms the central nervous and muscular system, oxygenates the brain, and omits immune overactivity and inflammation in the gut. It works. Try it.

You may have noticed some tension between those who think (3) is a waste of time. The strange part, is we all agree. The goal is calming the system. Some people have just never learned the medical literature on the immense stress that inflammatory foods put on the Gut, and the hormone and adrenal and immune system reactions that it can trigger. Despite the fact that these same people will readily admit that high sugar, caffeine, and carb content foods do increase their symptoms. Strange. Anyways, the important part is that we are not contradicting eachother. We actually all agree. :)

-Burger-

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on August 8th, 2013, 11:33 am

Gut / Central Nervous System axis: A target for nutritional therapies
Gustavo D Pimentel,corresponding author1,6 Thayana O Micheletti,2 Fernanda Pace,1 José C Rosa,3 Ronaldo VT Santos,4 and Fabio S Lira5
Nutr J. 2012; 11: 22.
Published online 2012 April 10. doi: 10.1186/1475-2891-11-22
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3342925/

"This review highlights the relationship between the Gut-Central Nervous System axis and targets for nutritional therapies. For nutrition professionals, the Gut / Central Nervous System axis is considered an attractive opportunity, because foods may help to treat and prevent diseases. Nutritional therapies could modify the gut flora and may reach the Central Nervous System in order to modulate the food intake and inflammatory processes. Some nutritional therapies that are known to modulate the gut-CNS axis via physiological and molecular mechanisms are also discussed.

The main underlying mechanisms behind the connection between microbiota and the central nervous system

Stimuli from gastrointestinal tract (GIT) influences brain functions, and messages from the brain may alter some GIT activities, such as motor, sensory and secretory. It was demonstrated that this link occurs via the vagus nerve to the brainstem, and via spinal afferents to the spinal cord. This evidences the correlation of the vagus nerve in the direct communication between the (gut) bacteria and the brain.

Moreover, the serotonin (5-HT) levels and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis may also participate in this connection. All connections are involved with modulation of infections and inflammatory diseases, such as obesity, type 2 diabetes mellitus, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, as well as with behavioural problems and psychiatric disorders, such as cognition, mood, emotion, stress and anxiety.

Since it is known that the microbiota is related to energy homeostasis, digestion of nutrients and metabolism, some low-grade inflammation-related diseases have emerged as an attractive opportunity for researchers. Recently, it has been shown that food rich in saturated or trans-fatty acids stimulates inflammatory markers. Several papers suggest that saturated fatty acids might enhance the blood LPS levels through GPRs, possibly secreted by gut cells, may affect the Central Nervous System and alter numerous central inflammatory markers.

Higher levels of gut-related inflammation lead to ... activation of cytokines in the Central Nervous System. According to Pavlov & Tracey [75], the autonomic nervous system plays a key role in the control of the brain in moderating the immune system and inflammation.

While microbes have been used to study the underlying mechanisms of inflammatory diseases and insulin resistance, numerous researchers have also stated that nutritional components could be used as a strategy to combat the gravity of these abnormalities. Historically, the Greek physician Hippocrates, "The father of medicine", reportedly said "Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food".

A higher risk of the development of cancer.... This is because the mechanisms by which intestinal bacteria induce carcinogenesis are thought to be via chronic inflammation, immune system evasion and immunosuppression. Conversely, the probiotics used have also emerged as an possible mechanism for the reduction of the pro-inflammatory status seen in cancer patients.

The studies discussed in this review collectively support the emerging view that microbiota contribute to metabolic disease, and suggest that an impaired diet quality may promote the development of inflammatory diseases.

And that was just result 1 on Google.

http://ibs.about.com/od/symptomsofib1/a/braingut.htm

-Burger-

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby Adamk on August 14th, 2013, 12:35 am

Just giving an update to how my diet is going, I'm please to say that I feel about 65% better overall. I have had more and more good days with very few bothersome twitches, the ones that come don't stay and I haven't had a hotspot flair up for weeks. So far so good, I have started to add foods back into my diet such as mushrooms and oregano without issue. I am going to avoid nightshades a few more weeks and see how it goes. I have weaned down my sleeping pill use as well. I only have to take 5 mg of ambien to sleep now from the 15mg I used to take, and I'm completely off the anti depressants too! I hope with time I can eliminate the pills. I still have some twitching but I no longer fear that they will stay and I don't freak out when they happen. I am about 19 weeks since my initial onset of bfs and I hope that within e year I can get to a point where it doesn't bother me. Just stick with the diet even if you feel like its not helping because it take a long Time to fix. If yours was cause by nutrition then this will help you!
Adamk

Postby aztwitchy on August 14th, 2013, 10:01 am

Adamk wrote:Just giving an update to how my diet is going, I'm please to say that I feel about 65% better overall. I have had more and more good days with very few bothersome twitches, the ones that come don't stay and I haven't had a hotspot flair up for weeks. So far so good, I have started to add foods back into my diet such as mushrooms and oregano without issue. I am going to avoid nightshades a few more weeks and see how it goes. I have weaned down my sleeping pill use as well. I only have to take 5 mg of ambien to sleep now from the 15mg I used to take, and I'm completely off the anti depressants too! I hope with time I can eliminate the pills. I still have some twitching but I no longer fear that they will stay and I don't freak out when they happen. I am about 19 weeks since my initial onset of bfs and I hope that within e year I can get to a point where it doesn't bother me. Just stick with the diet even if you feel like its not helping because it take a long Time to fix. If yours was cause by nutrition then this will help you!

cool Adam! stick with it...I like your point about being patient...it takes time to heal everything on the body.
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby SecretAgentMan on August 14th, 2013, 10:21 am

That is awesome news Adamk!!
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Seepi27 on August 14th, 2013, 12:54 pm

Adamk wrote:Just giving an update to how my diet is going, I'm please to say that I feel about 65% better overall. I have had more and more good days with very few bothersome twitches, the ones that come don't stay and I haven't had a hotspot flair up for weeks. So far so good, I have started to add foods back into my diet such as mushrooms and oregano without issue. I am going to avoid nightshades a few more weeks and see how it goes. I have weaned down my sleeping pill use as well. I only have to take 5 mg of ambien to sleep now from the 15mg I used to take, and I'm completely off the anti depressants too! I hope with time I can eliminate the pills. I still have some twitching but I no longer fear that they will stay and I don't freak out when they happen. I am about 19 weeks since my initial onset of bfs and I hope that within e year I can get to a point where it doesn't bother me. Just stick with the diet even if you feel like its not helping because it take a long Time to fix. If yours was cause by nutrition then this will help you!

I'm glad that you've found relief, but it's your last sentence that concerns me a little. You see, while nutrition clearly contributes to our overall wellness, I really really don't think that anyone's twitching is caused by nutritional factors. I believe that neither the cause nor the cure is linked with what we eat. Again, nutrition may produce peripheral benefits, but nothing that would impact on hard core things such as neural hyper-excitability, surely?
Seepi27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SecretAgentMan on August 14th, 2013, 2:01 pm

Seepi27 wrote:Again, nutrition may produce peripheral benefits, but nothing that would impact on hard core things such as neural hyper-excitability, surely?

This is what I used to think Seepi27, but I learned through my own experience that the gut and the nervous system can be far more connected than I ever believed possible. While I do not belive the diet aspect to be the direct cause, I do believe it is a contributing factor that should not be ignored. The severity of its significance can vary widely, thus the differing levels of success people experience. I was an extreme case, and as severe as my case was my diet changes did not cure my BFS, but it did bring me great relief. I do believe that it was a necessary first step to my eventual curing, but it was not solely responsible either. I wish there was a way I could help clear up the confusion on diet better.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby aztwitchy on August 14th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Seepi27 wrote:I'm glad that you've found relief, but it's your last sentence that concerns me a little. You see, while nutrition clearly contributes to our overall wellness, I really really don't think that anyone's twitching is caused by nutritional factors. I believe that neither the cause nor the cure is linked with what we eat. Again, nutrition may produce peripheral benefits, but nothing that would impact on hard core things such as neural hyper-excitability, surely?

:roll:

are you a hostess salesman or something?
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby Seepi27 on August 15th, 2013, 10:32 am

aztwitchy wrote:
Seepi27 wrote:I'm glad that you've found relief, but it's your last sentence that concerns me a little. You see, while nutrition clearly contributes to our overall wellness, I really really don't think that anyone's twitching is caused by nutritional factors. I believe that neither the cause nor the cure is linked with what we eat. Again, nutrition may produce peripheral benefits, but nothing that would impact on hard core things such as neural hyper-excitability, surely?

:roll:

are you a hostess salesman or something?

No, but it would make a change from snake oil, which seems to be the product of choice around these parts.
Seepi27
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SecretAgentMan on August 15th, 2013, 11:20 am

Please cease the insults and sarcasm back and forth. This thread is supposed to be aimed at helping people who want to try to modify their diets do so.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on August 15th, 2013, 11:48 am

SecretAgentMan wrote:Please cease the insults and sarcasm back and forth. This thread is supposed to be aimed at helping people who want to try to modify their diets do so.

I can deal with and dish out sarcasm, but the personal attacks and insults are a problem. They've been present all too often lately and it detracts from what this forum is about. I think people need to remember some things:
1. Its okay for people to disagree with you.
2. If you disagree with something, take aim at the content in question and NOT at the author. Or at least do it privately and not publically.
3. Making personal attacks in lieu of intelligent (or not) debate reflects poorly on you.
4. We are ALL on the same team here, even if it doesn't seem so. If we all kept this in focus, then its easier to avoid letting things get personal.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics