Thinking of coordinating a group diet experiment/challenge

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Thinking of coordinating a group diet experiment/challen

Postby BFSBurger on July 21st, 2013, 6:19 pm

christo wrote:until now I was determined to stay out of this topic but...

Why? What's the big deal? It shouldn't be such an intense, dramatic thing Christo. :)
Its just a discussion from a bunch of people who are reporting great improvements by avoiding inflammatory foods.
Join in ... and maybe even give the diet changes a try. You might be surprised. We aren't all just sitting here lying. They do help. Immensely.

I am convinced BFS Burger will try...he was the guy that put broccoli in his juicer.

Juicing broccoli is extremely common!

At least this heals you

The jury is still out on that one

People with leaky gut and intestinal permeability disorders are commonly given collagen/glycine containing foods to help repair damage done by the "American" style diet. It has been shown to work. I have no idea if BFS is agitated by this condition but there sure is symptom triggering going on from certain food intake.

Seems more likely to yield useful data than a rotation diet, which would almost certainly give you so many confounding variables that it would tell you nothing in the end.

I don't even know what a rotation diet is. What's working for me, and others ive spoken to is simply avoiding inflammatory foods. Google will reveal a list of inflammatory foods. In the end its basically the Paleo diet with some safe carbs. There's a reason tens of millions are going Paleo. It has the same basic logic backing it as eating bone collagen/glycine enriched foods like bone broth. The BB is typically reserved for more severe cases but I'll give it a go if it helps rebuild intestinal lining.

-Burger-
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on July 21st, 2013, 6:51 pm

This is where I am getting most of my "nonsense" ideas from ...
http://castroller.com/podcasts/TheHealthySkeptic

Would like to invite you to listen to this series of podcasts if you ever get an opportunity.
His voice is terrible for listening, but his knowledge is astounding.
If anyone out there cares enough about their health to give it a go, listen to the info from someone other than me.

Good luck all.

-Burger-
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on July 21st, 2013, 9:23 pm

Well folks, I guess tomorrow is the day to start. Hopefully we have a few brave souls on board. Post here with any questions and/or comments. Good luck!
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby aztwitchy on July 21st, 2013, 9:24 pm

If I see one of you who have poo-poo'd this diet experiment post that your worried about #%s ever again u deserve to be poopoo'd in return. :mrgreen: :lol:
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby chicagobfs on July 21st, 2013, 11:04 pm

What's for breakfast? :roll: :roll: If you take part in this small challenge please share your meal ideas. I will try to share my meals with you so please tell me if I eat something that should be avoided in paleo diet.
chicagobfs
Hero
Hero

Postby christo on July 22nd, 2013, 12:41 am

Burger,

Thanks for the invitation but I will pass. In fact I am almost symptoms free for some time now, without any change in my lifestyle. I hope it will last foreever or at least for long :)
I am system enginneer and one of my favorite theory is "don't fix it if it's not broken". So no way I make any change to my diet, which is already really well balanced.
And finally, even if I wanted (and I do not), I could not try such a diet. I have a very social life and job. Eating is part of all of this and I would put such a barrier between me and others with such a diet...

For me and for some others the truth is probably out there. :lol:
christo
Hero
Hero

Postby johnnythejet on July 22nd, 2013, 7:46 am

christo wrote: In fact I am almost symptoms free for some time now, without any change in my lifestyle. I hope it will last foreever or at least for long :)

Congrats on seeing such a huge decrease in symptoms, Christo. That's awesome.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby christo on July 22nd, 2013, 9:01 am

Thanks Johnny. I avoid saying it too much because you know... I am afraid it makes it come back !
Also I can say that you are probably one of those that helped me the most. I have applied 100% your advice of "don't care about the twitches" and they were less and less present with time. Now I can pass 2 or 3 days without noticing a single twitch and when I notice one it's a really short lived one, which I consider to be just plain normal. My main hot spot remains the top of my ear for unknown reason, it's kind of funny ! (never tought one day I would say that!). I suppose I also still have my calves ones going on quite often but I no more notice them and I won't even check if they are still there or not. I just don't care :)
christo
Hero
Hero

Postby aztwitchy on July 22nd, 2013, 11:25 am

chicagobfs wrote:What's for breakfast? :roll: :roll: If you take part in this small challenge please share your meal ideas. I will try to share my meals with you so please tell me if I eat something that should be avoided in paleo diet.

not sure what others do but I like to get out the door in the morning and don't like to sit and do a whole breakfast...i usually do a cup and half of frozen berries, water, scoop of protein powder (I stick to brands without sucralose or aspartame) right now I'm using a vegan protein that is pretty decent ... I use a hand blender and sip on that on my drive in. i like it because its easy on the stomach and hand blender is super easy to clean.
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby muppetdog on July 22nd, 2013, 11:42 am

Breakfast -

All organic - red grapes, fresh blueberries, banana
2 cage-free eggs fried in Ojai olive oil and sea salt.
muppetdog
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby chicagobfs on July 22nd, 2013, 1:27 pm

Breakfast:

Two eggs with some Uncured Canadian Bacon fried on canola oil.
Cucumbers with sea salt.
Half of avocado

Coffee with milk......?? I know coffee is no no but I did stop drinking it for months with no chance so will not bother again, but what about milk? It is lactose free milk:)
chicagobfs
Hero
Hero

Postby SecretAgentMan on July 22nd, 2013, 1:37 pm

Personally I would avoid the coffee and the milk for at least the 2 week trial period. Dairy is a complex protein and easily gets through the intestine walls when they are irritated (lactose or no lactose). Dairy can be triggering an immune response just as easily as gluten. Did you know cows have 4 stomachs? Instead of coffee try an herbal tea straight up. They're actually quite good. Your call though.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on July 22nd, 2013, 2:39 pm

Of all the substitutes I had for dairy products during my son's neurodermitis , I found rice milk the best. Don't know if it is allowed
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on July 22nd, 2013, 3:27 pm

For the two week trial its best to go basic, basic, basic. No milk and no substitutes. I actually substituted almond milk and still do to this day. I can have dairy now but I just try to limit it to cheese, butter, and yogurt. We buy almond milk for our 'milk' needs and it works great. It has similar texture and consistency. Rice milk was OK, but we thought it was kind of watery.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby aztwitchy on July 22nd, 2013, 3:31 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:For the two week trial its best to go basic, basic, basic. No milk and no substitutes. I actually substituted almond milk and still do to this day. I can have dairy now but I just try to limit it to cheese, butter, and yogurt. We buy almond milk for our 'milk' needs and it works great. It has similar texture and consistency. Rice milk was OK, but we thought it was kind of watery.

Rice milk generally tends to have more sugar than even dairy milk. unsweetened almond milk was the only "milk" substitute that was on my list of non-immflamatory foods. I didn't like it so I basically just drink water or herbal tea.
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics