The Difference Between Arachnoiditis and BFS

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

The Difference Between Arachnoiditis and BFS

Postby WitchyTwitchy on July 9th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Hi everyone:
I was wondering if anyone's neuro has mentioned arachnoiditis? If so, would arachnoiditis not be considered if you have sensations and twitching in the upper extremeties? Arachnoiditis symptoms are quite similar to a lot of BFSers' onset symptoms, so I am wondering if they are similar/overlap.
Smiles,

Vanessa
WitchyTwitchy
Saint
Saint

Re: The Difference Between Arachnoiditis and BFS

Postby Yuliasir on July 9th, 2013, 10:54 pm

Hi Vanessa,
usually arachnoiditis, as far as I know and understand, has more heavy clinical picture including severe headaches, involves coarse neurological changes (prcatically person with arachnoiditis hardly can pass clinical exam 'with flying colours') and of course could be seen on MRI as inflammation in acute form and as scars in subacute form.

So some really severe cases here PROBABLY could be caused by arachnoiditis, but I think only in small percentage. Typical BFS symptomes are rather mild compared to arachnoidids.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby WitchyTwitchy on July 10th, 2013, 2:06 pm

Thanks, Yuliasir, for the response. Would a brain and c-spine MRI be sufficient? I did not have a lumbar MRI. My symptoms (9 years and counting) started months after have an epidural so...
Smiles,

Vanessa
WitchyTwitchy
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on July 10th, 2013, 8:28 pm

Interesting. Just goes to show that there are a lot of things other than ALS and MS which can cause similar symptoms to what we have.

Should give some peace of mind.
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby WitchyTwitchy on July 10th, 2013, 9:22 pm

Yes it is, Burger! I stumbled on archnoiditis while "informing" myself on anesthesia and BFS. When I read it, the symptoms described took me back nine years ago to the beginning of my BFS journey. Archnoiditis can be caused by viruses also, not just epidurals, which is how a lot of BFSers begin their crappy journey. :/

I am tempted to ask a neuro, but I really do not want to book an appointment and travel that road again. It might be worth asking if archnoiditis was considered/ruled out-- that is if you are still under a neuro's care. It seems a lumbar MRI is needed, but I am wondering if a c-spine and brain MRI is sufficient, since a lot of us have been given c-spine and brain MRIs.

Take care...
Smiles,

Vanessa
WitchyTwitchy
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on July 10th, 2013, 9:31 pm

Coincidentally I am on schedule for a lumbar MRI this week, so it might be interesting to see.

Anyone have any idea if "with contrast" is needed for it to be seen?

Doctor ordered without contrast. But I can make the request...

Of course most will say "Well you *MUST* be much worse off to have that!"

As there is no "gray" ... only black and white in medicine :) No pre-disease. No-mild forms of anything of course :-P
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on July 10th, 2013, 9:45 pm

The contrast I believe has a low level radioactive trace element in it that the MRI picks up. I'd highly recommend against it. With BFS the immune system is hyper-sensitive and many things that normally would not be inflammatory, become inflammatory. New sensitivities are easily learned. The contrast they use isn't natural and therefore its a good idea to keep it out of your blood stream. Just my 2 cents...
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on July 11th, 2013, 5:12 am

Brain MRI is absolutely enough, if you still have any weird symptomes, lumbar punction might be prescribed to see if you have any abnormalities but usually mri shows any inflammatory process or scars in the soft brain tissues pretty good.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby WitchyTwitchy on July 11th, 2013, 10:39 am

I am thinking the MRI needs to be performed in the specific area?
Smiles,

Vanessa
WitchyTwitchy
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on July 11th, 2013, 11:35 am

usually brain MRI involves all head. Arachnoiditis could happen practically in every part of upper brain so I do nto think are any specific areas in the brain.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby WitchyTwitchy on July 11th, 2013, 11:59 am

Perhaps inflammation would show in the brain, but I am still thinking it needs to be in the lumbar where the offending agent occurred, in my case an epidural? I am hoping SuziQ or TwitchyDoc reads this a helps us understand this better.
Smiles,

Vanessa
WitchyTwitchy
Saint
Saint

Postby Yuliasir on July 11th, 2013, 12:26 pm

if you mean spinal arachnoiditis, then eys, you need MRI of spine. But generally spinal arachnoidiis is a result of generalised infection or spinal trauma... I doubt epidural anesthesia can cause it because sterility is usually adhered so chances you got infection via the needle are not high, and chances of having significant trauma (like during spinal fracture) are also not high...
Moreover, should you have damage in the lumbar region, it hardly can affect your upper extremities, because upper extremities innervqtion is related to cervical and partly toracall spine as far as I can remember. Lumbar region is more related to lower belly and legs innervation.

as far as I know arachnoiditis much often happens to central brain arachnoidal tissue (because related infections are more frequent, including tooth infections, sinusitis, otitis etc.) So I just missed that you suspect a spinal one...
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics