Question about health insurance coverage?

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Question about health insurance coverage?

Postby hkwak002 on June 29th, 2013, 12:57 pm

Hello All,

I have some worries about new health insurance coverage. I just turned 26 and have to get off my mom's health insurance. This is what has been paying for all my neurologist visits and diagnostic tests. Now that I have to apply for my own at a different health insurance company the application is worrying me. The previous health history asks if I've been to a physician for a condition or symptoms that in which I have received no diagnosis, known cause, etc, YES or NO. This is obviously a yes for me since I went to see a neurologist got diagnostic tests done which showed nothing so I have symptoms with no diagnosis with no known cause. The neuro has not diagnosed me with anything yet. I am just worried that they will deny me coverage because of this. Do they/can they access my health records and see if I am telling the truth? I mean it says they might but not sure if they really will. I don't want t to lie and say no because there are penalties if they find out. This is Health Net in California by the way. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing or has been denied health care coverage after this whole muscle twitching thing started? Can they deny me coverage because I have undiagnosed symptoms? Thank you.
hkwak002
Interested
Interested

Re: Question about health insurance coverage?

Postby wimpy39jen on June 29th, 2013, 7:30 pm

You should definitely tell the truth on the application because they for sure will request and review your records. I highly doubt they will consider it to be a pre-existing condition or deny you coverage because of it. They are looking for more serious conditions I am pretty sure like Diabetes, cancer, etc. Hope that helps, but be honest is my opinion.
Jennifer
wimpy39jen
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TwitchyMark on June 30th, 2013, 4:17 pm

The ACA provision of outlawing denial due to preexisting conditions for all private insurers does not go into effect until Jan 1, 2014. But, I live in PA and was on PA Fair Care which was a state run federally funded program for people with preexisting conditions (I had a back injury and subsequently lost my job). It is now transitioning over to PCIP (Preexisting Condition Insurance Plan) which is totally federally run and basically bridges the gap until the ACA takes over. I know California had a similar program to PA Fair Care and I believe they are also transitioning on July 1st to the federal PCIP. Not sure if you qualify for that but CA also has the Major Risk Medical Insurance Program (MRMIP) for those denied for the same reason.
I can't tell you if you will be denied for your BFS stuff but I can say that you have an alternative in case you are.

Mark
TwitchyMark

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics