MND Awareness Month & Great Info...

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

MND Awareness Month & Great Info...

Postby RGB on June 18th, 2013, 5:05 pm

It is MND awareness month (which is a wonderful idea, but less so for those with anxiety about their fasciculations!). I was unable to resist the gravitational pull of one link on a news item but surprisingly it ended well when I found this rather succinct and reassuring (medically reviewed) FAQ...

I am experiencing fasciculations, (muscle twitching), does this mean I have MND?

Fasciculations (muscle twitching) are experienced by up to 70% of the general population. Sometimes the twitching can be confined to one area of the body, at other times they may be felt in several areas at once. Fasciculations on their own can be a consequence of stress, viral infection, or general ill health. They can also be present in the body for no known reason and many people live with them on a daily basis for much of their life. Fasciculations are usually only associated with a neurological condition when other symptoms are present.

I've read a lot of scientific papers in the last few months but everything that I have learnt is summed up in this one paragraph. That seemed a good reason to share.

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: MND Awareness Month & Great Info...

Postby christo on June 19th, 2013, 6:57 am

Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing.
christo
Hero
Hero

Re: MND Awareness Month & Great Info...

Sponsor

Sponsor