Checking in--left foot issue

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Checking in--left foot issue

Postby jcmommie on June 4th, 2013, 7:08 pm

Thought I would check in--it's been a few months. It's been an interesting journey that has led me around in a circle.

I did see a psysiatrist (sp?) concerning my foot pain--we did 2 epidural injections, which were a complete waste of time/funds. Yes, the MRI showed some abnormalities in the lumbar/sacral region, but it ended up not being my issue.

I had about 2 months of PT. I have stronger pelvic floor muscles now. (All those Kegals! :lol: )

The same psysiatrist felt it must be a peripheral issue, it seemed my peroneal nerve was especially hyper-active. She wanted to do an EMG. Seriously? Now I am stressed again. She did one, or shall I say tried to do one in her office. New machine, not familiar with it. Sigh. I requested a consult to the University neuromuscular dept. The same place I went 4 years ago, the same doctor.

I passed the clinical exam. I asked for an EMG, since my local doctor seemed concerned about her findings in her EMG. She smiled. Like she did 4 years ago. She ordered the EMG. I have sural nerve damage, as I did 4 years ago (sural nerve is large sensory nerve.) She checked some nerves out low on my ankle since I had such problems with my foot. I do have some non-specific motor damage, not affecting my muscles apparently. Since I passed the clinical exam. But of course, I am freaked out, since the word "motor" was thrown out there. But EVEN THEN, I have this doctor, who sees scary diseases every day, tell me I am fine, I don't need to schedule a follow-up. Her diagnosis: Primarily sensory neuropathy, ideopathic with a suspected autoimmune cause (since AI disorders are so plentiful in my family.) Do I have any positive lab work to confirm this assumption. No--that would be too easy. And yes, I have body-wide twitching, but also more focal twitching, on the arch of my left foot, usually. And that foot has crazy-annoying nerve pain that feels like my foot is being squeezed in a vice.

So my mission: move on. That doctor wouldn't let me walk out the door if she was concerned about ALS/MS. In general, and I've seen this about a thousand times on this forum--if you pass a clinical exam without objective weakness, an EMG doesn't even need to be ordered, really. I've had 6 EMG's over 4 years. All I have discovered from them is for some unknown reason, my sensory nerves (and a motor nerve for good measure) are being attacked. Despite this, I am walking, I can run, balance on one foot and hop, tandem-walk and all that jazz.

I am prone to overanalyzing and anxiety. I'm not saying this will be easy for me. But I like what I am seeing about diet, exercise, stress-reduction. I'm going to try gluten-free. (Hardest thing EVER, probably.) I have been "taking it easy" because of my foot. Can't do that anymore. Gotta get up and move!!

Just wanted to share, and say "hi."
Just keep swimming...
jcmommie

Re: Checking in--left foot issue

Postby jcmommie on June 6th, 2013, 11:18 am

What...no one wants to say hello? :lol:

I saw a podiatrist for the first time yesterday. He said the slow motor conduction that the EMG showed on my left foot is almost certainly from the sciatic nerve. He says this based on the fact that I still have good strength in my clinical testing. The sensory and motor nerves to the lower leg and foot branch off from the sciatic. I have had sciatica off and on for years, but apparently this is more of a compression issue. Not wanting to do surgery--what I have read about outcomes does nothing to convince me this is a good idea.

Thoughts?
Just keep swimming...
jcmommie

Postby TwitchyMark on June 6th, 2013, 3:14 pm

Interesting, I had a lumbar herniation about 2.5 years ago. The debilitating sciatic pain resolved in a few weeks but I continued to have piriformis syndrome and increasing paresthesia down into my left foot for months after. My left foot became nearly completely numb. I refrained from surgery but did have PT, 2 epidural shots and what's called a nucleoplasty... a less invasive means of resolving the bulging disc. Nothing made much of a difference. An initial EMG showed some nerve damage but a followup in the summer of 2011 was supposedly clean. This was over a year prior to my BFS like symptoms starting. My twitching was most prevalent in my left calf, shin and arch. I often wonder if my already irritated sciatic nerve was causing all this twitching in that lower leg. What was weird is I had a cramp like pain in my RIGHT leg which felt like my calf and shin were being squeezed. Hard to describe. The combination twitching, pain and RLS kept me awake on quite a few nights.

Anyway, I wouldn't overlook lumbar degenerative disc issues. I believe there can be overlooked nerve impingement or stenosis that doesn't show up on a static recumbent MRI. And I know I also have cervical disc degeneration that my docs dismissed yet I have radiculopathy and paresthesia in both arms induced by the position of my neck.

Mark
TwitchyMark

Postby jcmommie on June 6th, 2013, 4:47 pm

Hi Mark,

It is interesting to hear about others and their spinal issues. I have never had a sitting MRI--wonder what that would show? My regular MRI of my lumbar spine wasn't pretty. And yet, after the epidural injections did nothing, my rehab doc said she didn't think my back was my issue. Then the University doc said autoimmune. Then the podiatrist said sciatic compression was likely. A true comedy of errors!!

Go to 3 different neuros, you will get 3 different results on an EMG. I guess that's why I won't worry if/until I start falling down. Back to PT I go... :roll:
Just keep swimming...
jcmommie

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics