Exercising

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Exercising

Postby nrun90 on June 1st, 2013, 6:57 pm

Yesterday I took my little sister to the pool and we swam for about an hour. Last night I ran about half a mile. Mind you I have not exercised in a few months, but today I feel like I was hit by a truck. I can barely move my arms above my head w/o some sort of pain and my legs feel the same. I made sure not to push myself too hard when I was running to ensure I would NOT feel like this.

I know for me, working-out helps my anxiety a lot. It gives me time to myself where I am away from my computer and textbooks and just able to listen to music with no care in the world. I want to begin an exercise program again that enables me to alleviate some of this anxiety. Do any of you have suggestions as to what I can do so that I able to run/work-out? (I ran so much in high school, I loved it! I want that back.)

As always, any comments are appreciated.

Nick
nrun90

Re: Exercising

Postby SuziQ on June 2nd, 2013, 6:47 am

For me, I find that starting out after a long hiatus always provokes an unpleasant and painful backlash. I try my best to push through the discomfort, stiffness and pain and eventually, I start to feel myself, again. It is why I absolutely HATE to miss the gym, for any reason. If I skip so much as two work-outs, my body really lets me have it.

As for what kind of work-out program is best for us bfs'ers, there are some who do not advocate pushing yourself too hard, but I have learned NOT to baby myself, because high intensity feels best for me. What I consider challenging might feel altogether crippling to one person; yet be duck soup to another, so it is purely subjective. Each person needs to find the balance that works for them. I've even seen folks on this forum who insist that we shouldn't work-out at all, which is clearly deleterious to our physical health and well-being. Most people can at least swim, walk, or ride a bike. The benefit of regular physical activity ultimately outweighs any of the initial suffering our bodies endure. This is true, even in those who do not have BFS.

If it has been a few months as you say, then the pain you feel is not at all unexpected. Be gentle with yourself and eat some extra protein as your muscles repair themselves. As you move forward, be patient and persistent, and (yes, this is cliche) LISTEN to your body. You certainly don't want to risk injuring yourself because you are too spent, sore and tired to maintain good form.

Hope this helps.
Blessings,
Sue
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Mark Twain
SuziQ
Saint
Saint

Postby RGB on June 3rd, 2013, 8:21 pm

Don't want to put you off full on exercise (if you die of a heart attack in 30 years I wouldn't want it on my conscience!) but simple walking in the great outdoors has many of the benefits you seek (anxiety reducing, 'time out' etc) without the subsequent pain.

This isn't a "BFS response", just a suggestion for anyone looking to get some mental as well as physical benefit. Plenty of good quality research showing the results gained by increased walking, spending time in nature etc.

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby chrissi on June 4th, 2013, 2:34 am

Totally do exercise. I used to be one of those that said " yes" to exercise but not too hard. But in the meantime I have seen in twitchers I take care of besides the board, that they get better way faster if they just keep on exercising hard and trying to ignore what follows . From my own experiences I know that the pain after exercising can go for days, not hours. So the normal rules of sports ( to wait until you feel recovered) do not count in BFas because this would mean too long pauses in between workouts. So I trained with sore muscles, because I had no other chance. I found runnung very helpful for BFS because it kind of " synchronizes" the body and breathing to a better rhythm than our anxiety. I am sure that many people on here do hyperventilate because of their anxiety, and I found running helpful. If you get access to a vibration plate / galileo use it. It has helped me a lot to loosen up those overtensed muscles.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics