For all you tongue twitchers

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

For all you tongue twitchers

Postby violetmom on May 17th, 2013, 8:55 am

Yesterday I took my teenage niece to the zoo. While we were there, she said, "ugh my tongue is driving me crazy", I asked why, she said it won't stop twitching!! I asked how long it's been doing that , she said a few years. She obviously dies t have als. This was so reassuring to me to know that weird things can just happen, with no explanation:)
violetmom

Re: For all you tongue twitchers

Postby TwitchyDoc on May 17th, 2013, 9:12 am

The basic issue is that you did not (and without looking you were not be able) to distinquish between twitching of tongue and fasciculations. It is not that uncommon for healthy people to have tongue twitches but in these cases, it is like tongue jumps/jerks. Fasciculations are rather seen than felt (but felt as well of course).
If it were me, I would have her open the mounth and I would stare at the tongue immediately :)
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby May on May 29th, 2013, 12:48 am

It isn't relevant whether you have twitches or fasics. Benign FASICULATION syndrome means you can have fasics ANYWHERE (including the tongue!) and NOT have ALS. I have fasics on my tongue (seen and diagnosed by a doc) and I don't have ALS.
This condition is a lot more simple than you imagine.
Stop dwelling. LIVE!!
:D
May
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby chrissi on May 29th, 2013, 2:45 am

In my personal experience, tongue fasciculations can very well be felt. Not like the usual body fasciculations, but they feel like little electric currents on your tongue and this can drive you CRAZY. There are some fasciculations that can hardly be felt when the affected body part is not touching any surface, but are very obvious if you have a "counterpart". To feel tongue twitches , I needed the contact with my mouth roof, otherwise it felt like licking a battery (not that I do this a lot, I have other hobbies..). Ellbow/forearm region is another part. But it seems that anxiety can trigger tongue fasciculations more than one might know. I had an ongoing hot spot of a tonge fasciculation when I had my tongue pierced, and the piercer asked if I was nervous. I said no, this happens to me once in a while. They do lots of tongue piercings every day and see those little flickering spots a lot in stressed people.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics