Back from neuro, 10% scared, 30% unhappy.

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Back from neuro, 10% scared, 30% unhappy.

Postby SecretAgentMan on May 21st, 2013, 11:23 am

Don't automatically consider someone an 'expert' until they've earned it in your eyes. Do you know what they call the guy who passes with the lowest grade in Medical School??? They call him 'Doctor'! :)
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby RGB on May 21st, 2013, 7:12 pm

Thanks S.A.M and Bill for your replies. Where I had previously been rational (and would have taken a lot of comfort from the points you make) I am now not doing so well.

My right calf is going absolutely crazy with fasciculations in multiple locations almost continuously (although the upper-body seems calmer). I am clinging to the idea that it would be 'possible but v.unlikely' (never say never) after this period of time and with no weakness etc that this is sinister.

I think my remaining 60% is now barely controllable anxiety :(

Thanks again for the replies though.

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SecretAgentMan on May 21st, 2013, 8:48 pm

Our culture today tends to over-emphasize the rational and logical side of our thinking while either ignoring or disregarding the emotional side as inconsequential or a nuisance. There is actually quite a bit of credible work showing the repeatable relationship between emotional patterns and disease (dis-ease). My wife and I just got a book off Amazon called 'Heal Your Body' by Louise L. Hay where she lists the emotional relationships tied to certain organs, issues with organs, or diseases in general. She also lists affirmations that you can say on a daily basis to change that emotional pattern and therefore remove a potential root cause (if it was an emotionally rooted problem to begin with).

I know this sounds foreign or just plain crazy to most people, as I used to be one of them. The things I have experienced first hand in the last few years though have changed my perspective and I'd invite anyone with an open mind to not be so quick to rule out the power we have over our own lives without most of us ever realizing it.

I will give an example. For Anxiety the probable cause listed says 'Not trusting the flow and the process of life'. The new recommended thought pattern she recommends is 'I love and approve of myself and I trust the process of life. I am safe.'

Under Tics/Twitches the probable cause listed says 'Fear. A feeling of being watched by others'. The new recommended thought pattern is 'I am approved of by all of life. All is well. I am safe.' (I think this may be more geared toward Tourettes though which is common for people who were abused)

Here are some more..
Problem - Probable Cause - New Recommended Thought Pattern
Nervousness - Rear, anxiety, struggle, rushing. Not trusting the process of life. - I am on an endless journey through eternity and there is plenty of time. I communicate with my heart. All is well.
Numbness - Withholding love and consideration. Going dead mentally. - I share my feelings and my love. I respond to love in everyone.
Spasms - Tightening our thoughts through fear. - I release, I relax, and I let go. I am safe in life.

There are quite a list of things to look through. I know this sounds out there. I have to admit though, I had a stubbed big toe from way back in 2009 that occasionally bothers me from time to time. Well, it had been acting up recently a lot, just kind of dull aching. I looked up what she had listed for the toes.

Toes - Represent the minor details of the future. - All details take care of themselves.

I realized I had been really focusing a lot lately on details for things going on in my job that are ramping up. I have been trying to work out the details for the future and maybe have been going back to some of my old ways of over analyzing and doing some minor worrying. Nothing too bad. It was interesting when I started to consider this seemed to coincide with my big toe bugging me again. I started focusing on letting go of some of this over analyzing in my meditations and I reassured myself that I can trust in the process of life to unfold as it does where all will be well. The next day my toe felt considerably better, after having bugged me for a few weeks.

Am I saying that saying affirmations like this can solve all your problems? No. It can't hurt though! What if emotional patterns are more to blame than most of us realize? What if they are a big piece of the puzzle? If emotional patterns didn't matter at all we wouldn't have so much evidence of stress relating back to diseases. There is a relationship. All I recommend is that you look into it further. Logic be damned, there is a part of you that does not care what is logical. It only cares about how you feel, which directly ties back to your overall well-being.
Last edited by SecretAgentMan on May 22nd, 2013, 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby virginiasteve on May 21st, 2013, 9:02 pm

RGB...

If that Doctors response was true we would lose 10% of our elite teams membership...Don't worry, you will run into an idiot every day lol
virginiasteve

Postby RGB on May 22nd, 2013, 1:58 pm

@S.A.M Thanks for that, it's interesting. I think you are more open-minded than I am (and I mean that as a compliment) but I am prepared to accept a a strong connection between mind and (twitching) body.

@virginiasteve Yes, a reassuring point!! I've today confirmed that my neuro exam etc was all entirely normal so the 10% figure does seem to be based purely on the fasciculations (which are in many muscle groups as they have been from the first few days).
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SecretAgentMan on May 22nd, 2013, 6:13 pm

RGB wrote:@S.A.M Thanks for that, it's interesting. I think you are more open-minded than I am (and I mean that as a compliment) but I am prepared to accept a a strong connection between mind and (twitching) body.

Thank you RGB. My open mindedness to such possibilities did not come easily, nor did it happen overnight. It sort of gradually happened to me after I began to see results from things like acupuncture and applied kinesiology. Eventually my engineering trained and overly analytic mind had no choice but to take relationships such as this more seriously. The more I dove into it, the harder it became for me to be dismissive of it. I don't make claims like this lightly either. This may be an internet forum with certain degrees of anonymity, but I still value my reputation as screen name SecretAgentMan. Also not to mention, I truly wish to help. :)

I realize it is one thing for a person to go down a path and experience things first hand and have things validated to them through those experiences. This is how we continually evolve and learn, through our experiences. Beliefs based on experience are as solid as beliefs get. It is entirely something different to read something either in a book or online. If it makes logical sense or an emotional impact it might get you thinking. A closed mind might crack open to an entirely new perspective that was never considered or given much thought. That's all I hope for really is for people's consideration. I wouldn't expect belief systems to change overnight based on reading about someone else's experiences.

Also, an open mind does not mean you believe everything you read or are told. It simply means you don't rule out possibilities based on your own personal biases or prejudices. You don't even have to agree with something to consider it. You just simply acknowledge that it is a possibly, agree or disagree, and be open to revisiting it later if new evidence comes along. No judgement necessary. My life dramatically began to change for the better when I actively began working to refrain from judgments and simply keep an open mind. It was hard at first, but gradually became easier.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to General Topics