Gatorade to the Rescue, Again.

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Gatorade to the Rescue, Again.

Postby BFSBurger on February 1st, 2013, 6:23 pm

I am still learning, evolving, changing my view on things. I have been shouting the praises of Juicing and I stand by the health benefits. I have been pushing the whole-body physical therapy / movement importance thing as well. I started to shy away from Gatorade because so many people here think its a stupid solution. But I need to keep it real. So here is the update: I was down to almost zero BFS. My regimen was Juicing, Physical Therapy, Gatorade. I stopped the Gatorade and replaced it with a blended lemon in water. Saw that Lemon contains a ton of electrolyte nutrients. Figured I could get the benefits of Gatorade without all that processed sugar. My assumption is that Gatorade somehow facilitates ATP production by providing sugars and sodium necesssary for proper mitochondrial function. I found a lot of forums where women with children who had electrolyte and mitochondrial disabilities were swearing by Gatorade. They even called it the Gatorade Protocol.

Since I have been off the Gatorade my twitching slowly returned. After about 10-12 days off, I was back to popping and poking and jiggles and shakes all over my body again, like I had not seen since my first month with BFS. I thought to myself - surely this can't be as simple as drinking Gatorade again, can it? I also had not done physical therapy in 10-12 days, but I *was* religiously juicing every day. Yet here I was twitching like a mofo. So I went and bought two gallons of Gatorade again, and started my Gatorade protocol up again. 12 oz glass morning, noon, and evening. I also did a session of physical therapy for the first time in 2 weeks a couple days ago, and again today.

Ridiculous. I mean seriously ridiculous. Within 24 hours my twitching dropped 80% again. Its now 48 hours later and here I am nearly 95% twitch free. I dont think I have had more than a jiggle once or twice all day. As long as I stay cool and calm, and dont get stressed out, that won't increase. Granted I have also done physical therapy twice, but as Johnnythejet mentioned - he works out and still twitches like crazy afterwards. I don't - and I am really starting to believe its related to the Gatorade. I intentionally drink my 12oz of G during the workout so it saturates my muscles. And I have two other 12oz glasses during the day. When I get back to my unit I drink my 12oz of juiced vegetables. And Creatine is huge for people with our condition. So I have my creatine.

So my constantly evolving regimen now consists of this:

1) Organic Vegetable Juicing Daily (24 oz)
2) Gatorade G2 Yellow Daily 12oz, 12oz, 12oz evenly spaced thru the day.
3) Physical Therapy - whole body, mild movements, light weight.
4) Dead Sea Salt Baths before bed.

I believe the physical therapy is imperative for stopping: Joint Pain, Tendon Pain, Sensory Problems, Muscle Pain, Weakness, Weight Loss, Cramping, Stiff Locked Muscles and Physical Disability.
I believe the gatorade is imperative for reducing/stopping: Twitching, Jiggling, Popcorn.
I believe the juicing is imperative for: Saturating the muscles and organs with necessary phytonutrients to carry out proper processes, nerve, brain, mitochondrial support.
I believe dead sea salt baths are imperative for: Topical absorption of minerals needed by struggling/twitching muscles and Bromide for facilitating sleep.

I was on a ton of supplements / vitamins but I have stopped all of those and found that twitching nearly stopped when I stopped them.
I will be adding them back one by one with careful monitoring to see which ones do not contribued to increased symptoms.
I will likely have a vitamin / supplement list to add as # 5 when that is said and done. I think its important. But something in them is setting me off so I stopped.

BFSB
How I resolved my BFS within 1 year of onset:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19128
BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Re: Gatorade to the Rescue, Again.

Postby BFSBurger on February 1st, 2013, 6:41 pm

I also wanted to add: this physical therapy thing is .... i cant even begin to explain how .... huge it is. The way that I feel 2-3 days after exercising is so dramatically different that, I cant even begin to describe it. Of course I feel like sh*t the first and second day afterwards. But on the 3rd day of rest, I can sense that I am on a tier above where I was the day of the workout. I can sense it. My sense of wellbeing is like night and day. Everything changes. And when the second iteration comes, like it did today, I expect to feel crappy tomorrow into the next day, but by day 3 I will feel stronger, more healthy, and more healed than I do right now. And right now I feel amazing. So I can't stress this enough. So very little effort is needed. And it sucks. And it hurts. And you get completely wasted afterwards. But its the continued cycles of whole-body movements, rest, recuperation, repeat ... that seems to make all the difference in the world.

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby BFSBurger on February 1st, 2013, 8:02 pm

Crazy!!!

Just saw the news story that BVO (Brominated Vegetable Oil) will be removed from Gatorade. That is amazing! It was the one ingredient that was considered dangerous. That gives me a ton of relief !!!!

BFSB

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby aztwitchy on February 2nd, 2013, 2:44 pm

BFSBurger wrote:Crazy!!!

Just saw the news story that BVO (Brominated Vegetable Oil) will be removed from Gatorade. That is amazing! It was the one ingredient that was considered dangerous. That gives me a ton of relief !!!!

BFSB

thats really good news....when will they release it without that crap in there?
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby BFSBurger on February 3rd, 2013, 6:58 pm

The news articles say "they'll begin rolling the new formula out in the next couple months" but i have checked several stores and its not on the label.
I am in the process of trying to figure out if it ever was on the label for the "Gatorade G02" version .... because I know that label doesn't have everything on it in the first place, which is bewildering to me.
If you want to know whats in Gatorade you have to Google for it, because the label ingredient list is not complete.

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby stephane28 on February 6th, 2013, 8:01 am

36 oz a day, that 1 litter a day ! Which represents 3 euros/day, quite expensive!
Anyway, does anyone know if there's a difference with Powerade ?
stephane28
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Fabiola on February 6th, 2013, 5:30 pm

I don't know if it works on me or not but I'm gonna try... I need some calm in my body already!!! The only thing is that maybe gatorade has a lot of sodium and that's not very healthy... what do you think?? Anyhow I'm gonna try together with exercise and juicing.. thanks
Fabiola
Fabiola

Postby BFSBurger on February 6th, 2013, 10:19 pm

Fabiola be careful with the xercising. Remember that you only want to continue movement. Continue minor resistance. Light weights. Every body part. One set. You are NOT working out to wear yourself down. You are ONLY working out to invigorate yourself. You should know the difference by listening to your body. I used to push serious weight at the gym, and the type of workouts I do now are once every 4 days, and literally 1/4 the weight I used to do. I am not going for gains anymore. I am going for muscle tension relaxation that exercise provides. And that is the key.

Powerade contains BOV I believe, which gatorade is bailing on ... so i would avoid powerade. Also - sodium is not bad ... your body needs sodium - especially during a workout. I avoided sodium for years .... was so proud of myself ... then realized i was harming myself. As long as you dont have blood pressure problems, you should make sure you're getting the proper intake of sodium per day. Sugars also VERY important surrounding a workout. Those of us raised in the culture of "No salt, no sugar" because we were taught that's best for athletes ..... WRONG! dead WRONG! .... worst possible thing you can do to your nerves and muscles if you are active. I learned that the hard way.

Processed sugars in Gatorade aren't good, but I am only doing this for a short period hopefully. I don't plan to drink the stuff for 3-6 years. I plan to drink it for 3-6 months.

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby Fabiola on February 19th, 2013, 12:52 pm

Bfsburger, how much time took to you have some results with gatorade? Ive been drinking for more than one week and nothing change :( I've been doing exercise and drinking juice, I know we're all different but I wanted to have your feedback, thanks
Fabiola

Postby johnnythejet on February 19th, 2013, 1:30 pm

Fabiola wrote: Ive been drinking for more than one week and nothing change :(

Fabiola, don't get too down if you don't see improvement. I have been through multiple periods of time drinking Gatorade over the past 7 years and have noticed no improvement. I know many others who report similar results, and in fact one who was drinking a lot of gatorade during onset of BFS. Keep in mind that Gatorade is fairly common and given the thousands who have come through this site, its fairly reasonable to assume we'd already be aware if it was the solution. That's not to say Gatorade won't work for you or seem to work for you, but don't be sad if it doesn't.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby jerry2 on February 19th, 2013, 2:13 pm

I wonder what is in this Gatorade you all drink, it is prohibited to be sold in EU and Australia.
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Postby aztwitchy on February 19th, 2013, 2:45 pm

jerry2 wrote:I wonder what is in this Gatorade you all drink, it is prohibited to be sold in EU and Australia.

sugar - sucrose and dextros
sodium - salt and sodium citrate
potassium - monopotassium phosphate
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby BFSBurger on February 19th, 2013, 8:27 pm

Fabiola wrote:Bfsburger, how much time took to you have some results with gatorade? Ive been drinking for more than one week and nothing change :( I've been doing exercise and drinking juice, I know we're all different but I wanted to have your feedback, thanks

Johnny is correct. It may or may not help. If only we knew what the cause of this condition was. Maybe we could explain why it helps some. But keeping the facts straight, there are some on this board who reported a complete cure by drinking it. All you have to do is use the search tool to find them. So for some it helps, for others it does nothing.

BFSBurger
Saint
Saint

Postby jerry2 on February 20th, 2013, 1:12 am

aztwitchy wrote:
jerry2 wrote:I wonder what is in this Gatorade you all drink, it is prohibited to be sold in EU and Australia.

sugar - sucrose and dextros
sodium - salt and sodium citrate
potassium - monopotassium phosphate

I wonder why it is banned in 2 continents then.
jerry2
Saint
Saint

Postby christo on February 20th, 2013, 1:50 am

I think it's because it contains brominated vegetable oil which is forbidden in EU for some rare health issues reported.
christo
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to General Topics