Somatosensory and visual evoked response test.

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Somatosensory and visual evoked response test.

Postby ag2002 on December 28th, 2012, 9:17 am

Well, it has been almost a year since my symptoms started and yesterday I finally got close to a diagnosis. After going to 4 different neurologists I finally had one that did a good evaluation and diagnostic testing of my symptoms. I have had a MRI of my brain, cervical and lumbar spine. All normal except the bulging discs at L5 and S1. The neurologist I ended up seeing is actually a spinal surgeon that was refered to me by a friend. I went to him because the other neurologists had said that it was a structual problem with my back coupled with double carpal tunnel syndrome. He did 2 tests that the other neurologists failed to do. He did a somatosensory evoked response and a visual evoked response, both of which were abnormal. So, I went to see him yesterday about what the results meant. He said that I probably had multiple sclerosis, but that he is refering me to another neurologist for a spinal tap to confirm the diagnosis. Anyways, what I want everyone to get out of this is to always get a second opinion. I don't want to scare anyone, because the probability of having MS is rare, but I did want to inform everyone about these 2 tests. Even though your MRI is clean doesn't mean there is nothing wrong. If you feel your doctor is not doing a thorough examination, then get a 2nd opinion. As far as my symptoms go, they have actually gotten better. Why they have gotten better I am not sure of. I do believe diet and lifestyle changes are extremly important though. When you have to turn to medication do so cautiously. Right now I am on klonopin and welbutrin, before all this started I was scared to take advil. Hope everyone gets some answers or at least symptom relief. I will keep y'all updated on my upcoming doctor's visist.

God Bless,
Jerad
ag2002

Re: Somatosensory and visual evoked response test.

Postby ag2002 on January 14th, 2013, 9:58 am

Great news!!! No MS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The appointment with the non surgical neurologist went extremely well. He stated that I had to have an abnormal MRI before a diagnosis of MS. He pretty much blew off the evoked response tests and stated they did not carry as much weight as compared to an MRI. I didn't have a spinal tap done. The surgical neurologist I was seeing does not deal with MS, but instead spinal structures. So, I am taking the new neurologists diagnosis as my final diagnosis. He diagnosed me with neuromyotonia (which includes BFS). He stated that he doesn't know the cause but that the symptoms are treatable. He stated he believes it is an organic syndrome and doesn't believe it stems from anxiety. He has used klonopin on another patient of his with the same diagnosis with very good results. So, he is increasing my klonopin to 1 mg a day. I had previously been given 0.5mg a day from my psychiatrist (by the way I didn't have a psychiatrist until this all started.) I voiced my concerns with him about the dependency and tolerance issues I have heard with klonopin and he stated he didn't think that would be a problem. My psychiatrist didn't think tolerance would be a problem either. I am going to see the new neurologist again in a month and will bring up other medication I might like to consider that will work without the dependency issues. Lamictal, tegretol, etc. For now I am going to continue to live a health lifestyle and take my medications as prescribed. The health lifestyle I chose is to consume a mainly paleo diet (vegetables, fruits, some meats, lots of coconut oil, and a few grains (minus gluten), no dairy, and lots of water) I am going to have to stop coming to the board and obsessing over my symptoms. This board has been great and a lifesaver this past year when I thought I was the only person in the world with these weird symptoms. Take care everyone and I hope that you all find healing, whether through medicine, diet, or my personal favorite Jesus. "When evening came, people brought to Jesus many who had demons in them. Jesus drove out the evil spirits with a word and healed all who were sick. He did this to make come true what the prophet Isaiah had said," He himself took our sickness and carried away our diseases." Matthew 8:16-17. I will be praying for all of you, and I mean that.

In Christ,
ag2002

Postby angelo212 on August 4th, 2013, 6:51 pm

I hope your Jesus can drive out the withdrawls that your going to get from the klnopin that your doctors says "it won't be an issue". *beep*. Take 1mg of it for 6 months and try and come off it. I still can't believe he said dependency and tolerance won't be an issue. Also I can't understand how klonpin will do anything for the sodium channals which it will not. It will reduce anxiety which it is made for that's it. I'm wondering why nobody responded to this thread. I think because they didn't want to bring you the bad news that your doctors are azzes. This is my opinion of course and I may be wrong. Doubt it though.
Gotta love BFS. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
angelo212

Postby kacmins on August 8th, 2013, 7:32 pm

Hi ag2002,

I am sorry to hear about your issues. Clean MRI is great news and in most cases it does exclude MS, from what I understand. In rare cases (5%), lesions can heal up and may not be noticed by MRI.

Your initial symptoms are very much alike mine. I had the same thing back in December 2012, and I've been twitching since February 2013. My neurologist prescribed Xanax, but I stopped taking it after 2 weeks or so, as I really didn't want to get use to it. I have MRI scheduled in September, to rule out MS. My Somatosensory and visual evoked response tests were negative, though, but that doesn't have to mean anything. I hope both of us are clear of all these nasty diseases.
kacmins

Postby kacmins on November 7th, 2013, 5:39 pm

Since I hate when someone writes something worrying and never shows up again, I am bringing this thread up just to let you know that I had absolutely normal MRI. I also managed to put my mind off ALS, even though I still twitch at about the same rate as I did before. But since this has been going on for last 10-11 months and I have no signs of weakness whatsoever, I am pretty much happy now!

One thing that helped me the most is that I started going to gym regularly in July and became much stronger since then. I got totally occupied with gym and nutrition that I didn't really have time to worry about rare diseases, plus I could always say that I twitch because of heavy lifting :D
kacmins

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics