carpal tunnel

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

carpal tunnel

Postby marymo on June 24th, 2004, 2:40 pm

Carpal Tunnel was revealed on my first EMG. Does this mean that my EMG was abnormal? - the docs couldn't confuse carpal tunnel as the start of something else could they?
marymo
Interested
Interested

to Marymo

Postby SLL on June 24th, 2004, 4:55 pm

I don't think they deem it an "abnormal study" in total if something isolated like carpal tunnel was found. Do not forget - EMGs are used to diagnose MANY MANY different neurological conditions - evertyhing from carpal tunnel to peripheral neuropathy and myasenthia gravis and yes, motor neuron disease.

A neurologist would not mistake the "start" of something else for carpal tunnel. Diasgnosis of als is very distinct in what is required on the EMG - musles firing at rest, fibs, positive waves, fasciculations, etc....
SLL
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby marymo on June 24th, 2004, 4:58 pm

So there are many things that would need to be present for the neuro to think that it would be something else?.. I just find it weird that I never had pain in my hands like that before until I started the twitching.
I'm on an antiinflammitory now and it helps soooooo much!

Thanks for the resonse
marymo
Interested
Interested

Postby Greata on June 24th, 2004, 6:57 pm

I was also diagnosed wth Carpal Tunnel { during an EMG} especially on the right hand. He made no correlation to any neurological issue..it is a very common condition. I have a lot of numbness in my thumb, index and middle fingers..not much pain however. After 10 months of twitching and no weakness, I can tell you they are unrelated. Not to worry!!!
Greata
Greata

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics