Scientific study...Interesting stuff.

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Scientific study...Interesting stuff.

Postby amy_twitch on June 23rd, 2004, 12:55 pm

Ok...so some of you might have read my post about joint-hypermobility and it's connection to anxiety. I had seen a rheumatologist because I had a blood test indicative of possible lupus or other connective tissue diease. (I don't have either).

During the rheumy's exam, she mentioned to me that many of my joints were hypermobile (I was unaware of this until she examined me). She also said she had recently heard of studies being done that connect joint-hypermobility to anxiety disorders.

I was just reading through the BFS survey, and I also see that a fair number of people on this board have MVP. Interestingly, when I looked up hypermobility study on the web, it discusses MVP as well.

I have no clue how much this relates to BFS....but I for one, do have joint hypermobility upon clinical exam. Anxiety runs in my family (my dad and his two sisters...one of whom has MVP).

If this intrigues you too....read through this study and feel free to look up 'joint hypermobility and anxiety' for other neat info on your web browser.

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/con ... 55/11/1578

It's a lot of scientific lingo....but interesting stuff nonetheless. I'd love to know how many people on this board are have 'clinical' joint hypermobility. (Don't mistake this for being flexible...I am far from that!)
These are fairly new studies, so I would't be surprised if someday BFS somehow gets related to these studies. Even if not...this is interesting stuff related to anxiety disorders and MVP. Plus, it points to a biological reason for anxiety....all the more reason our docs shouldn't ever shrug us off like we're nuts.

Just searching for connections...
Amy
amy_twitch
Hero
Hero

Postby amy_twitch on June 23rd, 2004, 1:05 pm

By the way,
the last line of this study states:

"Whether joint hypermobility syndrome is in any way associated with neurotransmitter dysfunction, autonomic dysregulation, or a physical genetic locus remains to be elucidated. "

Pure speculation on my part, but could be that the 'neurotransmitter dysfunction' part could relate to BFS. I hope more research is on the way!!!

Amy
amy_twitch
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics